Unlimited access >

Camping Question, Portable Pens

Hi, I am preparing for my first overnight trip where there aren’t pens already set. If we are doing portable pens and using the trailer as one of the sides, do you do anything to block the bottom of the trailer? I’m just worried about the horse lying down too close and getting their feet under the trailer.

When we camp, my friend and I use two electric corrals and set them away, but in view, of the trailer so we can check on the horses at night by looking out the window --we hang glow-sticks on their halters for better visibility.

We also have “high ties” --while I prefer not to tie to the trailer (ever), I’d use those over a high line. And I have used a high line for weeks at a time when corrals and high ties were not allowed.

I do not like to tie to my trailer (or any trailer) as it seems too likely horse or trailer will be injured or damaged.

BUT having said all that --my horse, and my friend’s horse are well-schooled in electric corrals --mine won’t even go “through the gate” unless led –

1 Like

Thanks! There are actually high line posts, and my trailer has a HiTie, but my horse has never been tied overnight so I thought a portable pen would be easier. It doesn’t need to be adjacent to the trailer, I was just thinking that would make it a bit bigger for him and provide a place I can tie his hay net. We are just staying one night. (Maybe I’m going about the planning all wrong…)

I have known one horse who did that while on a High Tie, but have not seen issues with it happen in portable pens. However, we all know horses are always finding creative ways to hurt themselves! Is your portable pen panels or electric? If electric, does your horse have experience with it? If not, and you can’t practice with it ahead of the trip, the High Tie may be the more secure option.

I would set the pen up at least 12’ from the trailer. He will poop and pee and make a smelly mess in the pen. You don’t need that right beside the trailer. Put his hay in a muck tub or on the ground.

I was thinking of getting the Quikfence. One of our horses has previously been kept in an electric fence but the other (an OTTB) has not. They are both generally easy types, not escape astists.

If at all possible, practice at home even if its only for an hour. I have seen horses get zapped and react by trying to spin and flee… only to find themselves tangled in the other side of the pen. Obviously, the size of the pen can make a difference there, as can how strongly your horse reacts to things. A practice set-up can also be helpful so you know the pen and charger works before getting to the campsite.

1 Like