Unlimited access >

Can a 'bean' be bothersome enough to affect horse's way of going?

Okay, here’s one. I’d say maybe a month ago I found the first “bean” ever in my gelding (he’s 15 and I’ve had him his entire life, so…). I’d inspected several times…no beans. Weenie is out a lot and, I’ll admit, I do some informal scab peeling and a quick swipe for beans often. Horse has no issue with this. So, when I found that first bean I was like, Wow! A bean! I’ve read about them. I found one in one of my older geldings once. I never had much luck with other geldings letting me get up close and personal, but Milton is very secure and trusts his mother. LOL.

Fast-forward to yesterday and I was anticipating a nice forward ride because after several days in the mid-80’s (ugh, not yet!) we had a storm and it was cold (well…almost 60) and windy. Just Milton’s kind of weather. He should live in Alaska.

But…he was a total slug. Just no pep at all…not that he’s Mr. Energy ever, but…c’mon dude. He was sucked back and while still polite as ever, I could tell he just wasn’t into it. I decided he probably needed Adequan, which I’d been hanging onto until I felt like he was really in need.

Gave him his first shot today, obviously that’s not going to do anything. Rode again and it was still nice and crisp (a touch warmer…64 I think) and sunny and a light breeze. Perfect riding weather. But horse was still sluggish, almost like he had the emergency brake on the whole time. I would press on the gas (leg then spur) and nothing. He just went slow, flat, and…meh. I kind of got afer him with my spurs once and he pinned his ears and reluctantly moved on a little. He wasn’t “lame” necessarily, but he just felt like he’d rather not.

So, I figure, okay well, everyone has times they don’t feel good. Seasons are changing, grass is popping up, he’s been a little gassy lately because I’ve hand grazed him out on some nice grass near the pond. Who knows? He’s otherwise fine…eating well, happy enough. He does seem a little “crotchety” though when just being a horse out in the pasture/shelter area.

Then, as luck would have it, he had his business dropped while eating hay thie evening and so I was peeling some junk off and decided to check for a bean and lo and behold…another one. This one was even bigger than the last one! It wasn’t huge or anything, I’ve seen bigger (in pictures), but it was big enough that it could have definitely bothered him. I pulled it out and he turned around and looked at me immediately like “What did you do???” I showed it to him (LOL) and after he almost ATE it (because he would eat a rock if I handed it to him) he just stood there looking at me. I tossed it in the trash and he just stood there staring at me the whole time, ears up and I SWEAR when I walked back out to him his eyes were all sleepy and he just looked like he was in ecstasy. It was the goofiest thing I’ve ever seen. He was practically smiling!

This entire saga to ask, could the BEAN have been causing him to be so sucked back and sluggish the past two rides? OH, OH, and I almost forgot! I heard the “urp urp urp” gelding/sheath noise when riding today too. He NEVER makes that noise! EVER.

Am I crazy? Did I make his day this evening by ridding him of the bean?

Thank you to anyone who read this insanity.

2 Likes

Well, actually, maybe so!

My vet loves to tell a story from his grad school days. A gelding came into the vet school with undiagnosed lameness. Everyone who saw this horse declared it was lame on a different leg. They did x-rays, blocks, the whole nine yards. Nothing worked.

One older vet took a look at him and said, “Did anyone clean his sheath?” Well, no one had. So he did. Found a huge bean. Horse trotted out sound after it was removed. Owner later reported that he was totally sound, and they would check for beans regularly from then on.

14 Likes

Ha! That’s a great story.

I figured it could be possible. I don’t know much about how it all works up in there, but I would think a bean could be uncomfortable or even painful and that moving much above a walk could…I don’t know…jostle things around up in there and be even more uncomfortable or painful. So, maybe a horse would be NQR simply due to trying to compensate and keep things…still up there?

I might be way off. But it’s interesting that the older vet asked the question. That means he’d probably seen it before. It’s just not something you hear much about…or at least I haven’t.

Thanks for story. I’m hoping others have stories too.

2 Likes

It’s definitely something that my vet has always remembered, and it’s something he checks for when he gets a mystery lameness. I think he said the older vet had seen it before, and that’s why he suggested it.

3 Likes

Personal experience here. I found and removed a bean (first ever) in my QH gelding, about 10 years old. Changed his whole way of going!! He was ok before, but he was downright bouncy after.

4 Likes

Yes, it can often substantially effect the horse’s way of going and performance. Always worth checking when you can (when it is offered!!!).

1 Like

Huh. I never thought about it doing that, but I guess it might feel a bit like sand in your swimsuit and I’d prob move funny with that, too. Now I really feel bad for my old horse who used the get huge, hard beans. Thankfully, we did clean him and check regularly.

2 Likes

Yup! Whenever my horse feels weird behind, after convincing myself he has a suspensory tear/stifle issue/needs his hocks injected/needs to retire, I check his sheath and there is always a bean. I get one out of him every 6-8 weeks or so, he’s gross.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh, I feel so validated! LOL

I didn’t ride today because I had to go get hay. I’ll ride tomorrow and see how he feels. It’s definitely like he’s not wanting to do too much with his hind end. He’s going but, no oomph. I love the thought of him becoming “bouncy” because that’s exactly what went through my mind yesterday…“Where’s your bounce?” He can do a proper western jog too (bred for it) and I let him do that when warming up sometimes, but once he gets in “trot mode” after some canter transitions, he’s usually nicely forward and reaching to the bit. But yesterday and the day before he was just leg moving and ducking his head behind the contact.

Granted these things could be from hocks, stifles, etc. and he does have arthritis in his hocks, hence me immediately going to the Adequan, but it just came on so suddenly and wasn’t like the other times when he let me know it was time for some joint juice.

I’ll be interested to see how he is tomorrow. Bless his heart!

5 Likes

Welp! I had a much happier boy under me today! I could tell as soon as I got on. Ears up, walking on, happy as a clam. Still a teensy bit “stuck” in the upper gears, but that’s not entirely unusual and he did finally loosen up and move nicely forward with pep in his step.

Wow. I never knew. I’m so glad I do now!

8 Likes

My best friend has a gelding that is a complete drama princess about pretty much any kind of discomfort. He also is “shy” and doesn’t fully drop to pee, so his sheath gets disgusting.

There are baby wipes in his grooming kit and she cleans him up a little every time she rides, because if it gets just a tiny bit too crusty princess-pants goes whole hog lame behind, it usually looks stifle-y and he’ll occasionally kick up at his belly and out. When we first figured it out, we literally cleaned his sheath with his saddle still on and took him back to the arena after; totally fine.

He gets his sheath cleaned fully probably every 3rd month on top of this, more in the warmer months.

So yes, absolutely, a dirty sheath (bean or not) can affect their movement.

6 Likes

Hmmm. I have been of the “doesn’t really need cleaned” camp, other than gently pulling off some crusty bits on the outside when he drops. May have to rethink this.

1 Like

My Old Man is “shy” as well - he has a huge bean for his 2x a year cleanings. He’s due, and it’s supposed to be warm this week.

(cue some random non-horsey visitor to arrive when I’m forearm deep in this activity…)

6 Likes

LOL, exactly!

At my former boarding barn I used to lunge my horse in a fenced field along a fairly busy road. In summer I’d sometimes lunge him with his fly mask on and I’d often let him graze a little after we were done. And, yeah, if he “relaxed” while grazing, I would pull off some flakes (his pink weenie gets flakes that look like shavings…sorry if that’s TMI, LOL).

I can just imagine the wrong ideas passersby might get about the lady who “beats” her “blindfolded” horse and then touches his privates, LOL!!!

1 Like