Unlimited access >

Can anyone help me find this bridle?

The online listing I’ve seen for that one specifies that reins are sold separately, so the total price would be pretty similar if that’s the case. It looks so similar that I wouldn’t be surprised if they sourced it from Richard (it even uses the same size designations he does, like “extra-cob”).

I love my Americana bridle as well and second the recommendation!

1 Like

The Castelow bridles are absolutely gorgeous - true works of art. My barn are just got one for her hard-to-fit horse and they were able to provide her with a custom fit. It’s the most beautiful bridle I’ve ever seen. I’m in a barn where there are several of these gorgeous bridles and I’d say if you take care of your tack (the kind of person who can get years out of boots and bridles because you meticulously clean after every ride and condition approximately) then paying $1000 or so for a bridle isn’t so bad. When amortized over 20 years that is only $50/year.

They are lovely. I still have many of them from when they were easier to find. Remember when HK made the SP bridles, now THOSE were a STEAL for the price.

2 Likes

I have tried calling a couple times and emailing Richard last week with no response so far.
Reins aren’t a huge deal, my gelding is 18.1 with a very, very long neck (43” from in front of wither to poll when in the neutral position) and most reins don’t work for him anyways!

Agreed! Unfortunately, I never got around to getting a HK SmartPak bridle. :frowning:

I wonder why Dover and SmartPak quit having their bridles made by Harmohn Kraft, and why the HK lines are so much harder to find now. I really hope HK isn’t going away anytime soon! IMO, they’re one of the last quality makers of reasonably priced bridles around. ERS still has quite a few Aramas and Americana bridles on their site, but I read on another post on here (one about favorite tack that is no longer made) that someone had heard that the Aramas bridles were being phased out. I sure hope not! My local tack store just got some new ones in about a year ago.

I worry about Exselle (and Walsall Riding Saddle Co., who makes them) as well since those are really hard to find now and the places that do carry them seem to only have limited stock (though Exselle is a Canadian brand, which may have something to do with them being hard to find in the US).

1 Like

Odd, he was very responsive when I contacted him. If you do talk to him, one thing to check for a horse that size is the measurements of the various pieces to fit your guy - I found the throatlatch to be short compared to my other bridles.

I got this bridle from SStack.

I ride with two trainers who ride Grand Prix and show heavily and they have both complimented it and asked me where I got it

https://www.sstack.com/joseph-sterling-hartford-hunter-bridle/p/37512/

1 Like

If you just want wide noseband square raised, Black Diamond Designs on FB sources some lovely bridles from England…

Here is my guy wearing his

4 Likes

What a beautiful photo!

The bridle is nice and all, but your horse has a lovely eye.

1 Like

Thank you. That animal is an ANGEL and I am so lucky to have him. Seriously. An angel.

I was thinking the same thing. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for the heads up! Throatlatches are usually on the snug side for him, so good thing to be aware of.

Still waiting on contact. Emailed again, called.

I’ve been calling, texting and emailing for almost a month now. I got one email reply saying to call him or email the saddler email, that he’s in Kentucky for whatever was going on down there (I’m in BC, Canada) so I did both and I’m looking to have something purchased by the end of the week, so if I have to go with something else, oh well.

The Valencia bridle is actually made by Richard Castelow. I heard that he is really backed up orders wise. They are beautiful bridles, no question.

I did manage to get ahold of him. $675 USD price point.

1 Like

Do you know if that includes reins? I’m about to bite the bullet and purchase one of these!

That does not include reins. I believe reins are $375, but don’t hold me to that. I did not want reins.

I am trying to find a dupe for the bridle. I would do it if it was in CAD but with the exchange and 12% tax when it crosses the border, makes it too much.

I know it’s 2 years later now, but another option would be the In Gate Hunter Bridle. It’s beautiful and has a very similar design for $400. Amanda Steege shows I’m them. https://www.shoptheingate.com/products/the-in-gate-hunter-bridle-with-laced-reins

I have the exact same taste in bridles and am dreaming of ordering a Richard Castelow one day :slight_smile:
Also it’s not available in Oversized, but Belle and Bow Equestrian makes a gorgeous square-raised bridle at a very affordable price https://belleandbowequestrian.com/products/bridle-wide-noseband

IMG_0080