Unlimited access >

Can anyone recommend a saddle pad/girth that helps prevent the saddle from slipping?

I have a small pony and a young warmblood that are hard to fit. The saddles on both of the mares slip forward. I have tried different saddles but nothing seems to work.

Putting a “shammy” (chamois) under the saddle pad will often help to keep saddles in place. Either a real one (lambskin), or a fake one (that rubberized tablecloth mesh stuff) works the same. Dampen it first, and squeeze any excess water out of it.

If your saddle is sliding forward have you considered trying a crupper?

2 Likes

If the saddle is determined to slide forward then it is the wrong shape, or at least flocked wrong for the horse.
Shaped girths are used in cases where a horse has a forward girth groove and therefore a straight girth would pull the saddle forward. Sticky saddle pads resist slipping by pulling on the horse’s hair. Neither is going to fix the problem if your saddle is wrong. Better to put your girth/saddle pad budget into an appointment with a saddle fitter.

11 Likes

I haven’t tried it. I did buy one. I just have to get her used to it.

I will try this. I have never tried this before. Thanks.

1 Like

Professional Choice VenTECH girths and Gel Eze blue wrap under saddle.

The Professional’s Choice Ven-Tech Contour girth was a game changer for my horse.
https://www.doversaddlery.com/pc-ventech-contoured-jump-grth/p/X1-02691/?cpos=3&cexp=155&cst=professionals%20choice%20girth&kcid=0002691&ctype=Search&cpid=res21062219732324201489018