Unlimited access >

Can anyone translate, dog and lil girl vid

This video popped up on my insta and yikes, it’s horrifying. Hoping the translation is that the adults stopped letting this kid torture this dog like this…

When she poses with her chin on the dogs head it looks like she’s really pressing her chin into the dogs head.

I can’t figure out who the videographer likes less, the dog or that child.

1 Like

That scared the beejezus out of me.

1 Like

The heading is ‘This experience was totally avoidable!’

6 Likes

1st comment was:

This experience that you had to have here was absolutely avoidable!
How can you expect a dog to be treated respectfully if you don’t treat it with respect?

Is quite amazing that the dog didn’t actually make contact and break her skin. The poor dog was giving off so many distress signals before he snapped.

7 Likes

It looks to me like the adults are trying to set up a photo pose with the dog and child.

I’m also wondering a bit if the child might have Downs Syndrome? Something about the very erratic movement and the very scrambled teeth and the expression in her eyes.

Parents could be over directing both child and dog for a portrait

4 Likes

Ah thanks, that’s at least something.
I swear these sm sites love to bait me with videos of people being horrible to animals.

1 Like

@Scribbler,

I had the same sense that the child was neurodivergent.

But the poor dog. He was so clearly uncomfortable and trying to tell the people that he wasn’t okay.

Relieved this didn’t end up with a wounded, scarred kid.

5 Likes

And an adult hand was holding him there so he couldn’t escape.

2 Likes

It’s a dog training site so likely she grabs things like this to make commentary on how to handle dogs. Like horse trainers will comment on bad videos online.

2 Likes

It appears that the little girl is pressing on the dog’s windpipe right before the dog snaps.

The dog has tried hard to put up with everything until then. Then she presses her arm around his neck, straight against the dog’s throat. The dog lifts his head apparently attempting to get relief and warn her to let go, but the girl doesn’t change her pressure.

The little girl was also innocent in this, she was being coached by the adults. She couldn’t know to do anything differently.

I feel very sad that the dog may have suffered consequences. The adults don’t seem to know anything about dog behavior.

IMO there are people who see animals more as props and toys than as living beings with innate reactions. It seems to be an attitude that is passed down from generation to generation. And/or the people don’t have prior experience with animals if they didn’t grow up with them.

4 Likes

I’m reading this as parents of a neuroatyoical child that doesn’t usually interact with animals trying to set up a “normal” cute portrait with a very patient old dog. The child is not acting like a child who has had any experience or coaching in how to interact with dogs, like when she gets excited and shakes the dog.

1 Like

I’m curious as to where people are picking up on a Down’s / neurodivergent child. I don’t see that, but I’m not a child expert.

Is it the monolid eyes? To me, overall, her face looks Asian, including overall facial structure and coloring, and her monolids would be typical.

But … not an expert. Just wondered where that was picked up.

The eyes don’t look quite Asian (and I’ve seen no end of Chinese and Vietnamese and Korean children). But also the really scrunched up teeth are something I associate with Downs (have seen a fair few of these too), and something about the way she is interacting with the dog and the invisible adults.

1 Like

I also see Downs. There’s something in the head/neck/shoulder connection that seems typical of Downs, too.

No matter how saintly my dogs are I would NEVER let a kid manhandle them. I pissed my sister off and made my nephew cry once over this exact thing.

3 Likes

Same. For me it was a friend and her child, who has development and cognitive disorders. Kid had a known problem for approaching pets and hugging. Friend had done a good job of managing kid, but I saw another dog-grab coming and gave a sharp rebuke, which my friend took personally. I believe friend—an animal person—knew in some rational place in her heart and head that I was trying to avoid getting her kid bit and my elderly dog unfairly stressed. But she took it very badly. She actually doesn’t talk to me anymore. I’m not sure if this was one of those reasons why or not.

3 Likes

Mine was my nephew running a push-rolly-toy into my sister’s elderly and unstable pitbull’s back end (not my dog, but a dog I have known for years and years and years). I asked him to stop, and redirected. He came right back and did it again. I TOLD him to stop, he did not. Finally I said OK if we can’t be nice to Remy, we can’t have this toy and took it away from him.

Sister was SO offended. I’m sorry, can you not see that your elderly dog with a failing back end does not want to be crashed into repeatedly?

2 Likes

The child is absolutely downs syndrome and not being directed in a healthy way around the dog. Poor puppy.

Not a kid, but…
My sil reached in between her dog and my Mils dog as a snark started.
To distract the nearest dog so sil wouldn’t get bit I gave a gentle push to the nearest dogs hindquarters, like you’d do to rebalance a horse,…
Ooh boy! For years mil insisted I kicked the dog.

1 Like

If there’s a fight ongoing, I don’t care what gets done to break it up. Of course I’m hoping for no additional damage, but in the end the job is to break up the fight. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to snap them out of it and redirect.

Too many people, and even longtime dog owners, can’t assess the situation*, read body language and see the snark coming a mile away…
And so think I, of all people, randomly, for no reason kicked the dog. 🤷 🤦

*One Dog a guest in the house, everyone crowded into small galley kitchen around dogs…

1 Like