Unlimited access >

Can deer break fences? I've never seen this before

My fence this morning looked like this. Can deer hit the fence that hard? Horses don’t have a mark on them. No one was in the paddock I was standing in, so there would be no reason to fight over the fence. I could see that happening if a horse kicked it. The gate (opening on left) was closed.

The board is a good 6ft back where I was standing.

Maybe the deer didn’t see the board and ran straight into it?

If the board was a 1X4, yup, deer could have done that easy.
Ever see the damage done by deer just glancing off a car? :grimacing:

4 Likes

Do you see any tracks? That would give you an indication. I’d say they could break it if something was after them and they were in a panic, but the ones that frequent here are really agile and I’ve seen them go over, under, or between the rails.

2 Likes

Of course they can, they weigh several hundred pounds and can run almost as fast a horse. Physics says that’s a lot of force if they hit something.
Did you look for fresh tracks?

Saying that, I’d put my money on a horse kicking it.

8 Likes

Absolutely they could break a 1x4. This time of year is heavy rut season, and a buck intent on chasing down a doe, or chasing off another buck, who thought he could go under this instead of over, could easily have broken this due to misjudging how much room his antlers had.

2 Likes

Deer are so much harder on my fence than the horses are, but they’ve never broken a board like that. That 100% looks like a horse kicked it. I had very similar looking damage from a horse nailing the board.

2 Likes

Yes a deer could have done that, especially if the board had a weak spot. Also a horse could have kicked it. A third possibility is a bear, if you have those where you live.

2 Likes

I had a deer run into my car and destroy my passenger door. So a fence, yeah.

3 Likes

My guess as well - something (probably a deer) tried to get under and came up and broke it.

1 Like

It looks like this to me too, do you have wildboars in your area? Here there are many and they destroy the lower part of fences

1 Like