Unlimited access >

Can DSB's be Used While Jumping?

So last month I started coboarding a lovely Hanno at a different barn, and unfortunately she is not letting me use any of her tack… AT ALL. She’s a hunter (like myself) yet she rides with front and back DSB (Dressage Sport Boots) and bell boots on him.

I’ve already purchased bell boots, along with numerous other items to add to my tack collection and I’ve been wanting to buy a pair of boots to use while on the flat and jumping.

I guess what I’m really asking is if the DSB is made and to be used only for dressage (meaning I can’t jump with them on) or should they be fine for jumping as well? :confused: I’m scared if I follow through and buy a pair that someone will yell or get mad at me for using them while jumping when they blatantly say “DRESSAGE” on them.

And on another note - does anyone know how DSB compare to the Shedrow Sport Boots? They seem similar in appearance however DSB boots are cheaper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :yes:

Most hunter people prefer open front boots for jumping. That being said, you can jump in that type of boot. Among the hunter set, most people prefer the Euro Pro (Heidi) type that are brown with white/off white fluff to the solid black and solid white types that dressage people prefer. I am not familiar with the Shedrow brand boots specifically, but certainly many brands make this type of boot.

Can you jump in them? Sure. Are you more likely to see open front boots, yeah, but it’s not like someone’s going to call the SPCA because you schooled over fences in Heidi boots at home. They’re really for brushing/interference more than anything else though. Does this horse tends to interfere a lot? I guess I am slightly confused why the horse needs to be SO booted up all the time-- have you asked the owner? Is it a green horse jump learning to be ridden?

The only reason hunter people use open fronts is because people think the horse can feel the rail better and not do it again naked then through a boot.

I know people that boot every horse they ride all the way around even if they never had an issue and people that never boot. Use whatever you want but if the horse doesn’t have an actual need for the boots then it would be up to you. Anyone who would make fun of you for using a boot like that isn’t your friend and doesn’t matter.

[QUOTE=vxf111;7095858]
Most hunter people prefer open front boots for jumping. That being said, you can jump in that type of boot. Among the hunter set, most people prefer the Euro Pro (Heidi) type that are brown with white/off white fluff to the solid black and solid white types that dressage people prefer. I am not familiar with the Shedrow brand boots specifically, but certainly many brands make this type of boot. [/QUOTE]

I have seen the open front boots, however I guess I have somehow mentally convinced myself that because DSB’s have the soft lining that they’re better? :frowning: does the fleece add extra support/protection? Open front boots just seem rather plain and thin…

I think it’s just for the support? I think he might overreach a little hence the bell boots yet he shows in nothing at all. I’ll admit I’m slightly confused myself about why both front AND back boots (and not just open front and ankle boots either) but he’s not particularly green, however last year he developed a nasty habit of stopping at fences 24/7 (he was jumping around 3’ at that time) and they had to restart jumping from scratch.
It’s actually a situation that made me nervous - this horse is owned by two people, a girl and the barn owner. The owner doesn’t have time to ride him any more, so she coboarded out her share to me… and apparently the other girl isn’t too happy about it (she didn’t even know there was a coboard for a few weeks because her sister, who was in Europe, was supposed to tell her) and I’ve been asked by the barn owner and one of the instructors NOT to tell her who I am or say anything to her etc… :confused:

Support? Supporting what? Soft boots don’t provide “support” any more than your socks provide your ankles support and hard shelled boots don’t offer any more support than your shoes. Forget about boots “supporting” the leg. They do provide protection from striking (brushing of the horse’s legs or rapping a pole).

Based on the extra info, I would speak to your parents about finding another horse to co board. That situation is a mess.

It is impossible for boots to give support, they only protect from knocks and bumps.

[QUOTE=Goldenwingsgirl;7095886]

It’s actually a situation that made me nervous - this horse is owned by two people, a girl and the barn owner. The owner doesn’t have time to ride him any more, so she coboarded out her share to me… and apparently the other girl isn’t too happy about it (she didn’t even know there was a coboard for a few weeks because her sister, who was in Europe, was supposed to tell her) and I’ve been asked by the barn owner and one of the instructors NOT to tell her who I am or say anything to her etc… :confused:[/QUOTE]

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Has the owner actually consented to you leasing this horse?!

[QUOTE=vxf111;7095889]
Support? Supporting what? Soft boots don’t provide “support” any more than your socks provide your ankles support and hard shelled boots don’t offer any more support than your shoes. Forget about boots “supporting” the leg. They do provide protection from striking (brushing of the horse’s legs or rapping a pole).[/QUOTE]

So then scratch that idea about thinking that they’re better because they have extra cushion. I will talk to the instructor (who also rides this horse occasionally as well, which I think is weird - she also has her own coach which sent alarm bells off in my head to be honest) to see if he has any issues with brushing, however I don’t think he does.

Even olympic medalists take lessons and I would not have a problem with my instructor taking lessons. The rest of the situation sounds wrong.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7095890]
Based on the extra info, I would speak to your parents about finding another horse to co board. That situation is a mess.

It is impossible for boots to give support, they only protect from knocks and bumps.[/QUOTE]

The only thing is that summer coboarding at my regular barn is only extended to the lesson horses that aren’t used in camps, and does not include any lessons… just 3 rides, no showing, or jumping either. I was also looking to expand my abilities in riding different sized as well as differently trained horses, and my aim for switching barns in the summer was to get another instructor’s perspective on my position etc on the flat as well as over fences. I mean well I promise! :yes:

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7095906]
Even olympic medalists take lessons and I would not have a problem with my instructor taking lessons. The rest of the situation sounds wrong.[/QUOTE]

apparently she’s had a rough life and has turned to horses to help her recover?? (what the other owner told me) however I agree with you but I still have the rest of the month… after that I’ll have to see.

That has nothing to do with why she’s taking lessons or why your lease situation is a mess and really doesn’t need to be shared at all. Since this is starting to smell a bit trollish I’m going to assume you don’t really have an honest question and stop helping you.

My question was answered already, and I’m sorry for providing that, I thought it would be helpful. :frowning:

However, seeing that closed front boots are less expensive than open ones… would there be any benefit to picking one over the other?

Basically all boots do is protect the horse from banging its legs. Closed front boots protect more than open front boots. Open front boots let a horse that tends to be sloppy in front bang his shins and get a little sting while still protecting the tendon. On a hind leg you don’t use open fronts.

[QUOTE=Goldenwingsgirl;7095930]

However, seeing that closed front boots are less expensive than open ones… would there be any benefit to picking one over the other?[/QUOTE]

There can be. I use closed-fronts on my horse because she has an old bowed tendon on one front leg and most of the open-fronts are too stiff over that area for her to be super comfortable (they were putting pressure in the wrong places). I have the neoprene closed-fronts and she’s perfectly happy with them. She also is one of those who only has rubs/rails if I make a mistake - she tends to err on the side of too careful, so I like having the closed front boots so she doesn’t get a really hard rap on her shins because of a mistake I made.

I’m making the assumption that because you referred to yourself and the other rider as “hunters” that you plan on showing (possibly on this horse) in the hunter ring at some point. You most definitely cannot show in any type of boots in the hunter ring, let alone front and back full dressage boots. Just something to keep in mind if you’re that worried about the horse needing leg protection.

[QUOTE=Goldenwingsgirl;7095886]
I have seen the open front boots, however I guess I have somehow mentally convinced myself that because DSB’s have the soft lining that they’re better? :frowning: does the fleece add extra support/protection? Open front boots just seem rather plain and thin…[/QUOTE]
Many open fronts have fleece or sheepskin lining. :slight_smile: What the boot is lined with doesn’t really have anything to do with how well it protects the leg.

Boots should be used while schooling. Even if your horse is not known for banging itself - there is no guarantee he wont take a misstep and bang his leg. That’s what boots are for. When you school your horse often you are asking them to do things like gymnastic or pole work where missteps will happen.

The softer ones vs the open fronts; the open fronts are more expensive because most brands have a harder shell to protect from a bang of the tendon with a “metal” shoe. The softer boots will not offer as much trauma protection. But I use them when doing lighter schooling work and they are fine.

If you get into the Hunter show ring, the horse cannot wear any type of protective boot. (you say prayers your horse behaves and doesn’t step on any part of himself) If you ride Jumpers or Equitation you can use boots.

On the bell boots for jumping; I don’t use them because of the risk a horse can step on the boot and fall. If your horse needs heel bulb protection there are slide on type boots that are better for this issue.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

THIS.

There is nothing wrong with using a non-open front boot while jumping. My eventers never wear open fronts (simply because my pocket book can’t afford galloping boots, which I need, and something else). It will still provide good protection, although perhaps not as much as a boot designed for jumping that has more of a strike-guard. Dressage horses are more likely to knock themselves with the opposite leg doing lateral movements, while jumpers are usually more likely to over-reach or knock a hind foot into a front leg.

If that’s what you have, and you aren’t allowed anything else, I really won’t lose any sleep over it. As long as you realize you can’t show in them.

I’d be much more concerned about the other “co-boarder” and her feelings regarding you using the horse.

[QUOTE=fourmares;7095944]
Basically all boots do is protect the horse from banging its legs. Closed front boots protect more than open front boots. Open front boots let a horse that tends to be sloppy in front bang his shins and get a little sting while still protecting the tendon. On a hind leg you don’t use open fronts.[/QUOTE]

You can use open front on hinds. Eskadron makes some.