Can horsepeople catch horse worms?

Yes, gross topic, I know. I was just wondering and wondering if we are all supposed to be tested in some way periodically. And, no, I don’t have any reason to think I have them.

Thanks.

Didn’t know what other forum to put this in.

I’m pretty sure they are species-specific. You can get ringworm but that is a fungus on your skin, not an intestinal parasite. Generally to get any intestinal parasite you have to ingest the eggs (eat poop or bite your fingernails that have poop/eggs underneath etc.)

Always a good idea to wash hands after dealing with any animals.

You can get certain types of parasites just by walking barefoot outside. The Discovery Channel has a series of shows about parasites that can live in humans.

There is a discussion in Around the Farm about this, I believe.

Oh, yes, they do make people de-wormer =).

Tapeworms will happily live in any species.

You can easily get pin worms from horses. And you’ll know if you have them, no testing necessary. Don’t ask me how I know…:o
Hubby got roundworms. Again, no testing necessary.:no:

Around-I was told by my veterinarian that the only species that is afflicted with pin worms are humans, and you don’t want to know how we get them (plus they eventually die off by themselves supposedly). And you can get hookworms from them burrowing into your skin (at least that’s how I remember it, and I could be wrong).

Thanks all !

Sonoma

jmho!

Yes…some of them…and some of our own…no regular testing necessary but if you have any symptoms then you’d go to the doctor anyway, right?