Unlimited access >

Can horses eat ranch dressing with thier carrots?

I was feeding the horses carrots and wondered can they eat a carrot that’s dipped in ranch dressing ? I tried googling it but I couldn’t find a solid answer.

Well what are the ingredients? I dont think there’s anything in it that’s toxic in minute quantities.

1 Like

I’m sure a small amount of ranch dressing will do no harm to your horse.

Meh :roll_eyes:
If they like the taste, not much besides a lot of sodium in commercial dressing that can harm a horse.

Suppose they could, but why? :thinking:

6 Likes

When I was a teen my horse was fond of eating skittles, peanut butter sandwiches and drinking soda. He had zero health issues and lived into his 20’s. So, I imagine ranch dressing ( if your horse likes it) in small quantities should pose no threats.

As long as he’s a ranch horse? :slight_smile:

18 Likes

HO HO HOOOO :rofl:

I’m with @candyappy. The Old Man Horse eats anything and everything. The only thing he has flat spit out was a piece of beef jerky… understandably. Well, don’t look so cute when you beg and I won’t feed you questionable snacks, ya jerk. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is basically soybean oil and spices and the amount would be really small I would think.

I just wonder why you would do that?

My guess is someone got one of those prepackaged veg and dip things from the supermarket. We do that a lot for picnics when we trail ride! I also get trying out all kinds of foods on the kind of horse that’s always begging for food.

I can’t see anything harnful in salad dressing in small amounts. My mare gets an ounce of salt in her mash every day and also powers away at her salt block. The salt in salad dressing won’t hurt them.

DH’s horse once snatched a piece of BBQ pork chop & chowed it right down.
Offered to him when he begged - doing the cute sideways neck stretch - thinking he’d do the Eeeeewwww! equine lipcurl, but nope.
Told DH he had a carnivore on his hands & Be Careful :wink:

1 Like

Somewhat off topic: what about a young cat that devours coleslaw with chicken (preferred protein) and tea with milk. I thought the vinegar would turn him off. The horse has turned down bananas, watermelon, and carrot cake. banana treats are okay.