Unlimited access >

Can I use equine fenbendazole paste wormer for my dog? Thanks in advance!!!

I have been instructed by the vet to give my 50 lb dog Panacure wormer. It comes in a powder that is sprinkled on his food. He won’t eat it.

Making it into a paste and giving it is messy and quite a struggle, and it must be fullly consumed to be effective.

box says 41-50 lbs 1 gram + 4 grams
51-60 lbs 2 grams + 4 grams
(no concentration given)

The equine fenbendazole would be so much easier.

The tube says…
57 gram paste (10%) 100 mg/g

It has markings for larvicidal dose and standard dose.

No idea on using the horse wormer on the dog. However, have you tried getting a can of wet food and mixing the powder with that? My guy will pick around it if I put powder on his dry food, but inhales it mixed with wet. He normally does not get wet food, so it’s a treat when he does.

This page shows the 1 gram packets contain 222 mg each, so your dog is getting 1110 mg of active ingredient. That’s 11.1 grams of your horse paste.

It is safe to use the equine product in dogs, but you may have a bigger issue with palatability. Try using A-1 steak sauce.

Pep’n’Ann- Yes that is how i gave it the first time. Now he won’t eat it any way, not even with boiled chicken.

Simkie- Thank you so much! So… in the dog powder he gets 1110 mg/5 gr.

So..horse paste (100 mg/gr) to get 1110 mg is 11.1 gr. Yes?

So a 57 gr tube has 5.135 doses of 1110 mg /11.1 gr ?

The tube is basically divided into 5ths already, going from

0…250…500…750…1000…1250 as the larvicidal dose.

0…500…1000…1500…2000…2500 as regular dose.

Dogs take that much more fenbendizole than horses?

Hi Sockmonkey, This is my dog with Inflamitory Bowel Disease. He is on sterile protein diet,( Hills Z/D canned) and a very small bit of chicken to get pills down. I wish steak sauce was allowed, he would love that!

[QUOTE=csaper58;8399005]
Dogs take that much more fenbendizole than horses?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I don’t deworm this way but a lot of dog people do; I was at a training session where the trainer instructed how to dose dogs with horse dewormer since it’s much cheaper and just as effective. Probably some of the vets & vet techs can answer this better than I can, but if I recall, it had to do somehow with the muscle mass or something. I remember being equally shocked that the dog dose would be something like that of a pony.

As a general rule it is never wise to switch meds designed for another species without proper advice on whether it is safe and the dosages (as above).

But for anybody thinking of giving Ivermectin to their dogs, this can be fatal, especially if the dog is a collie-type. Even a lick from a drop accidentallyt spat out from the horse can cause serious illness, or death.

Just throwing that out there.

I use it all the time for my dogs, don’t care if they like it or not, it just goes down the hatch.

ETA I do this on the advice of a friend that is a veterinarian, BTW.

Fenbendazole is dosed at 5 mg/kg in equines. It’s 50 mg/kg for canines.

There’s nothing wrong with using the horse paste for dogs, although weighing the dose would be a good idea. The margin of safety is enormous, but underdosing will only lead to resistance. The liquid would be easier to measure.

Frankly, I think it would be faaaaaar easier to worm with Profender, as it’s topical. Is there a specific reason you’re using fenbendazole?

Yes I have used the tubes of equine fenbendazole for my wolfhounds. I use the apple flavored paste, and mix it into the food and they eat it fine. It is so strange that a 150 pound wolfhound requires the same amount of fenbendazole as a 1500 horse!

But you certainly cannot generalize about dosages of medication across species. For example, a horse requires a tiny amount of Previcox compared to what my dogs would take.

I have no problem using an equine formulation for my dogs, as it is sometimes so much cheaper, but you need to know about each particular medication, you can make no assumptions about dosage for each species.

1 Like

NONONONONOOOOO! Be very, very careful. About 6 months ago there was an incredibly tragic (and also catastrophically expensive) situation where a collie breeder did this with her dogs and their wormer. The issue is that in medication dispensed in tubes, the medication isn’t mixed evenly and some doses can get mega concentrations of the medicine and other doses they might get none. In this particular case, the breeder was trying to give dog-sized doses of ivermectin horse wormer to her collies, and the concentrations ended up being so high nearly all of them died, most after an intensive hospitalization. Those who know collies know that most have a gene mutation that causes drug sensitivity and toxicity and ivermectin is on this list. That being said, this issue was bigger than the ivermectin sensitivity and should be used as a cautionary tale to others.

My fellow herding training partner and vet, Deb Eldredge, has written a couple of times on this very subject.
http://horse-journal.com/article/sharing-equine-ivermectin-can-have-serious-consequences-horse-journal

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/messing-with-meds-not-a-good-idea/

[QUOTE=scruffy the cat;8400717]
NONONONONOOOOO! Be very, very careful. About 6 months ago there was an incredibly tragic (and also catastrophically expensive) situation where a collie breeder did this with her dogs and their wormer. The issue is that in medication dispensed in tubes, the medication isn’t mixed evenly and some doses can get mega concentrations of the medicine and other doses they might get none. In this particular case, the breeder was trying to give dog-sized doses of ivermectin horse wormer to her collies, and the concentrations ended up being so high nearly all of them died, most after an intensive hospitalization. Those who know collies know that most have a gene mutation that causes drug sensitivity and toxicity and ivermectin is on this list. That being said, this issue was bigger than the ivermectin sensitivity and should be used as a cautionary tale to others.

My fellow herding training partner and vet, Deb Eldredge, has written a couple of times on this very subject.
http://horse-journal.com/article/sharing-equine-ivermectin-can-have-serious-consequences-horse-journal

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/messing-with-meds-not-a-good-idea/[/QUOTE]

Dude, this is fenbendazole. I don’t even think it’s POSSIBLE to OD a dog on it. And it’s NOT difficult to calculate a dog size dose from the large animal products. We’re not talking about MDR1 dogs and ivermectin.

1 Like

Can you put it in these ?
http://www.greenies.com/dogs/pill-pockets.aspx

Hi All, Thank You all for the many helpful answers.

Equibrit,… I wish I could, but this dog is on a very restricted diet, due to severe GI issues. I can’t introduce anything new into his diet at this point.

scruffy the cat,… Although I’m specifically asking about Fenbendazole, I guess someone out in Lurkerland might think “Hey, I’ll just worm my dog with that old tube of Ivermectin in the tack room.”

Simke,… Thank you!! Once again your answers have proven to be most helpful.

Can you put it in an empty capsule and force feed it? I don’t know how many pills that would be, though…

you can get empty gelatin capsules at most health food stores. You can also suspend granules in water and give with syringe.

I have to imagine the gelatin would be no worse than the inert suspension of the paste. Gelatin caps are a go to when trying to get noxious tasting drugs down pets.

Panacur dog does come in a liquid form and usually pretty palatable. Unfortunately a large dog would need a lot. It is great for puppies.

Hi Y’all ,

The tube of Panacure I had was expired, so I ended up giving the powder. I mixed the powder with water in a syringe, it was a little messy but I think he got most of it.

Thanks for all the help and ideas. :slight_smile: