Unlimited access >

Can osselets be found in all four legs?

Hi. I’m interested in a two-year-old TB gelding, apparently only raced once. He has puffy/big ankles, not just in the front, but in the back as well. He doesn’t appear to be lame from them or show choppy movement. We will be getting a vet out before we purchase, but have you heard of osselets in the hind legs? What else could this be? I took pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on here

That would be highly unusual in a 2 yo TB with one race.

I would be suspicious of a bad case epiphysitis when he was a foal, perhaps?

Make sure you x-ray in case those are chips.

I made a photobucket to show you guys what his legs look like. Here is the link:http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Paula8910/library/Grey%20Thoroughbred

Also, thanks for responding and giving insight.

If they match it may just be him, especially if he is kind of awkward otherwise, sometimes they have to grow into their joints. But I agree x-rayin is the only way to know.

Radiographs for sure. And get the name of their farrier so you can be sure not to use him.

Absolutely. They use some kind of Amish farrier for cheap, so his feet don’t like so wonderful and were definitely overgrown. He’s in MD and I’m in NJ, so that’s why I’m trying to get some possible theories on what’s going on with his legs. He isnt around the corner. We will look into X-rays. At least the vetting in this state is a lot cheaper than NJ!

I’d x-ray for sure, but he looks like a gangly big-jointed 2 year old to me.