Can someone tell me what this device is?

It looks like a thin bungee cord going from the girth, through the bit, then through several keepers on the cavesson, including the tab for the flash. It is designed to put pressure on the nasal bone if the horse tries to lift his head (apparently the rider is incapable of getting/keeping the horse - ahem - flexed in the neck without mechanical help). The device looks abusive to me - since it is fixed to the girth, there is no release from it.

Scuttlebutt is that it was either a left over piece of equipment from the Arabian world, or it was devised by the rider’s very well known European trainer (who frequents Welly World during the show season).

[Edited text and image to discourage speculation about the rider’s identity.]

4 Likes

JFC. You better pray to jesus that horse doesn’t lose it or you’re getting a one way ticket to the hospital.

That is absolutely abusive, and the fact that trainer has a little scarf under the band to hide/prevent rub marks proves it.

16 Likes

Is this horse a celebrity? Why blot out the face?

3 Likes

That looks oddly familiar.
As in didn’t someone post about a similar device previously?
I can’t recall the context, though.

11 Likes

Fancy new version of a western tie down :nauseated_face: that goes to the girth sides instead of the bottom girth ring. Basically a nasty-ass standing martingale.

7 Likes

Wait, is this LK? Is that where this was from??

10 Likes

That was my recollection as well, but I could be wrong…

2 Likes

It looks like a German martingale that’s been jerry rigged to include pressure on the nose, or perhaps just a spiked noseband added. Kind of an instant rollkur for a rider lacking strength. Seems very dangerous; I’ve seen horses flip with just side reins.

To me using such a device creates more problems than it solves. Can you imagine trying to take up contact if you mounted up with a normal bridle. The horse would likely become very anxious and reactive.

6 Likes

While it’s something I’d never use, it’s not any worse than side reins. Looks like a rigged neck stretcher device that’s popular with Arabian breed show people.

1 Like

Are there side reins that put pressure across the nose?

11 Likes

What’s worse….pressure on the nose or mouth? It’s all pressure and uncomfortable for the horse.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t be riding in either. My opinion. I know overseas they outfit the ponies in side reins and let kids ride them - that’s super stupid IMO

8 Likes

I agree it looks like a neck stretcher run through the flash tab with a poll pad rigged up under it.

5 Likes

This is ten times worse than side reins - it puts pressure from a thin cord onto the nasal bone (which is more sensitive and not as strong as the jawbone).

26 Likes

They’re safe on horses who are accustomed to them.

7 Likes

Agree that properly adjusted side reins are safe on horses that are used to them. We used to have our seat lessons on horses in side reins - with not a single mishap.

13 Likes

No, but it’s pressure with no release on the tongue and bars of the mouth, so it’s not like that’s not also a sensitive area…

I generally introduce side reins attached to the halter because they are far less likely to be reactive to that pressure, that’s the sort of pressure they are already used to, then I attach them to the bit once they have found the end of the rein and realized it’s not scary or hard.

I’m just not a fan of fixed restraints while riding the horse in general, because if things go sideways, there is no way to release pressure and the weight of a rider can exacerbate the situation (for the worse) and causes the horse to go over backwards. But the nose is sensitive, the mouth and bars are also sensitive. Tight side reins, tight nose pressure reins… I’m not sure I see why one is worse than the other. Generally speaking, of course. Obviously each horse has an opinion on which is a more sensitive area, my fjord would have a blast with nose pressure. Best day of his life I’m sure.

8 Likes

Until they trip.

7 Likes

It looks like a Chambon (meant for lunging), run in front of the nose instead of over the head.

2 Likes

It is thin and round, so could be a chambon that has been re-engineered into this device. I’ve never seen a chambon used like this (run over the nasal bone instead of over the poll). Chambons are intended for lunging only - not for riding - or so I was taught by my old instructor, who learned classical dressage from Michael Handler (son of Hans Handler of the SRS).

Whatever it is, it seems abusive - even cruel.

8 Likes