Unlimited access >

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Have a great weekend everyone, hope you’re able to get out and ride! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes – hopefully everyone has good weather and great rides this weekend. I am looking forward to being back in the saddle after last weekend’s slightly challenging hunter pace experience!

And we have a show 10/15, so I need to practice!

I am dreading winter – I hate the cold, so riding in the winter requires a lot of commitment and discipline for me.

I am also a re-rider, off for over 18 years, although I’ve been back riding for 11 years. However, due to dental surgeries, then my wonderful instructor passing away this summer, I had not ridden for a year and a half. Now I’m riding dressage-4 lessons!, instead of hunters. I never knew how complicated dressage could be! After remembering where legs, hands, shoulders, back, neck, and hips should be, my poor mind is overwhelmed. And, I’m only doing walk-trot! I am really enjoying it, although my body is more sore after a lesson than it used to be. I realy admire the dressage riders who make it look so easy, when it is really hard.

1 Like

CedarCreekJP, you are my hero!

Just got back from a show. Had two wins and two seconds, and I showed in the Level 3’s for the first time. I did one round without any stirrups at all-thankfully, I made it around without falling off. Not saying it was PRETTY, but we had the fastest time and only had one rail down. LOL. We placed second in that…but 3’6" was FUN

Love this post. Am desperately trying to pull on big girl panties and break 3’ barrier without wetting self.

Baby steps…

1 Like

3’!! I’m still a weenie about 2’3"!!!

We’re having some soggy wet weather here, not that I’m really complaining. But I have one horse at home and one at the trainer’s place, so rain means I can’t ride the home-horse.

I did get up to ride my new boy this weekend and he was wonderful! He’s an OTTB, I’ve had him about 2 months, and he has been off the track for a year but not really used for anything, and not really restarted. He’s coming along AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyG58EZKbWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9r-UyvxYyY

1 Like

Me too Mee too Mee too! Count me in!

First of all, spacytracy your horse is adorable.

I rode a lot when I was a teen. Basically lived in the saddle when I wasn’t at school. Then I became an adult, had kids, got married, and it wasn’t until my eldest was 6 that I was able to throw a leg back over a horse. I rode consistently for about 2 years and was really getting back into the groove, teaching some beginners and showing again, when my mare went lame and had to be retired, then I moved. I ended up with a greenie, who I backed, broke and sold. Then I got another greenie, and got busy, traveling 80% of the time, and I got him backed and mostly broke before the accident. Well, it was a series of accidents, really. Not just on him, but also on a friend/trainer’s horse.

I lost my confidence and didn’t ride for another year. I didn’t ride the greenie (sold him). Didn’t ride anything. Had panic attacks just thinking about riding. Had panic attacks going into the field and hanging out with the horses.

Completely broke my heart. Even during my hiatus from riding due to children, horses are my passion, my zen, my life.

Got a new horse after that, an OTTB with the best brain that I’ve ever met on a horse. I’m now riding again as I can. Work is very busy, but my horse can go months without riding and still be completely sane. We’re stuck in this cycle right now of getting going and making progress, and then me getting busy and us both losing condition and having to start over.

Being a grownup sucks.

I have bad lesson anxiety (who knows why), so I’ve decided to just start riding again, and hope that with time my focus can be on my riding and I can stop having so much anxiety. It gets so bad that I run out of breath and can’t post twice around the ring in a lesson - yet just riding on my own I have no issues getting around.

I’m in a constant battle with myself…should I have my horse and I in more of a program? Should I try to show again? Should I be working towards external or internal goals? Should I focus on this horse who, though very talented, may not stay glued together long enough to do anything or should I just enjoy him while I have him.

All that being said - all the stress and angst melts away when I get on my good boy’s back. Though I’m frustrated with my body (it seems to have forgotten everything it ever knew about riding), when I ride, I forget everything and am 100% in the moment with my horse. It’s the best therapy that money can buy. I wish my insurance covered it :-/

Rainy weather today so I’m going to hack the boy in the indoor.

Oh - and I totally second the recommendation to ride with Hunters Rest. I didn’t get to hunt with her, but have hacked and lessoned with her and she is positively FABULOUS. I’m going on the next hunt and cannot WAIT! Literally bouncing out of my chair. I’m going to be completely unbearable until November. My horse hunted a season, and I know he’d love to go again, but since I’ve never been, I’m renting one of her lovely critters. Once I get better, I want to take him. Baby steps…baby steps.

Have good rides everyone!

SpacyTracy, what a cute horse! His neck is elegant.

Thank you - he has a really nice neck carriage, although being out of the game so long, I don’t really know what he’s “suited” for! I think he’d be a nice lower level dressage horse, but I like doing hunters. I don’t know what they look for in a hunter/eq/hack whatever! horse!!!

OneGray, did you steal a page out of my diary??? Seriously. Your post spoke to me SO much. If I could get out of my own damn head, I’d be a MUCH better rider. I am anxious every time I even prepare to ride. I guess I think I’m going to fall off. I haven’t fallen in like a year, but I think I totally suck and am so loose in the saddle that it might just take one misstep and I’ll be on the ground.

And I totally get that you make progress and then life gets in the way and then you can’t progress as fast as you’d like! It is nice having horses that are sane and don’t need constant work, mine are very similar, although my current new horse has much more energy than I’m used to! He needs weight, though, so once he’s up to the right weight I can back him off some of the calories and I think that will help. He’s never BAD, he’s just energetic.

1 Like

You know, I get anxious before riding too, and I’ve always got it in the back of my mind that today could be the day I go ass over kettle and really hurt myself. This happened even before I had a couple months there of regular falls, lol. I think its good, in a way, for there to be a healthy fear or riding. Maybe not fear, so much as respect for what could happen. I think it makes us more likely to think of self preservation, instead of being that fearless rider. Especially if there are kids, husbands, mortgages, etc in the mix.

Your boy looks very sweet and kind though. I think most horses that adult ammy’s choose tend to be that way. We’re not pros, we have limited time to ride, so we want a mount with a good brain! I know my girl can get feisty and does require a good ride, BUT she would also never do anything mean, nasty or spiteful. My trainer has pushed her HARD and where other horses might rear/buck/act out, she does her best to do what she thinks you’re asking. So I know when I come off, its because of a mistake I made!

OneGray, did you steal a page out of my diary??? Seriously. Your post spoke to me SO much. If I could get out of my own damn head, I’d be a MUCH better rider. I am anxious every time I even prepare to ride. I guess I think I’m going to fall off. I haven’t fallen in like a year, but I think I totally suck and am so loose in the saddle that it might just take one misstep and I’ll be on the ground.

One of the things that is helping me is the realization that I need to relax and let the pony go forward. I’m actually terrified of going slowly (that’s where the explosion happened) and get tense and grippy. If I get up, get out of the tack and just let him move (hell, gallop if he wishes) then I calm down, he calms down and we’re all good. I watch videos of myself and though there are a gazillion points where I think “omgilooklikecrap”, there’s also that realization that despite what I feel, I do NOT look like I’m half-hanging off the side of the horse.

I’m also practicing not being such a perfectionist.

I have a green off the track horse. Who doesn’t particularly love the indoor (he thinks for whatever reason that he can’t trot ON the rail and he definitely cannot canter in it, even on the longe line - we’re working on it - despite the fact that outside he can accomplish both feats and the indoor is NO smaller than the outdoor sigh). Who, if you get off balance, shoots forward like a rocket. Who loves to dive down going to the left (and only to the left). Who loves to hang on the left rein whilst tracking right. Who gets nervous and grinds his bit when asking for something new. Who continues to forget that one leg does not mean shoot forward like a rocket, but means step to the side. Whose head position goes from lovely extended in the greenie position, to giraffe, to his knees, to flipping his head and his lips when he’s unhappy with something.

However, mentally he is so stable that I am not afraid of him in the least. He’s got zero spook, zero buck, zero rear. He falls asleep in the cross-ties. His entire attitude is “let me at it, mom”. His temperament is truly priceless. He will be with me until his retirement or death.

I have the mental skills to deal with all of it, but sometimes the physical stuff just isn’t there. I’m out of shape, I know I look poopy. Sometimes it takes forever to get messages to a particular part of my body (right hand…ahem) that likes to drift to the ceiling for some reason that I cannot understand.

Could I use a well-trained horse to get back in shape and a trainer to whip me back into position? Yep.

Do I have access to a well trained horse? Nope.

Would a trainer help me right now? Not in the normal sense due to this lesson anxiety stuff. Once I get over that, you betcha. In the meantime we’re videotaping rides and I’m teaching myself with all of the stuff that I know. Sooner or later I’ll hit the end of my knowledge and need to engage a professional. I’m hoping that I’ll get over the anxiety first (it’s so WEIRD).

So, this imperfect pair that we are are going to have to muddle through. Progress will be slow. We’re going to have all sorts of bad habits as a pair that we’ll have to unlearn. That’s just the way it is. Would he progress faster with a trainer? Yep. Would I? Sure. Are either one of us dangerous? Nope.

I worried for a long time that I would be “teaching him bad habits” or “not making him rideable for anyone else”. I realized today - who gives a ff if he’s not rideable for anyone else. He doesn’t need to be. He’s my horse, he’s provided for if something happens to me, and I’m not training him as a resale project. I’ll have those once I’m back on my riding feet again. Or once the kids leave home. Or maybe never again. I don’t know. It doesn’t matter. I don’t have to change the fact that he listens to my intentions and subtle shifts of weight to steer and prefers me not to mess with his head. As long as he’s moving forward and not inverted I don’t have to worry about putting a “normal” amount of pressure on his mouth. If someone wants to ride him, they are going to have to have very elastic and light hands.

I’ve tried to go down the path of half-leasing him. There are no kids in my barn. The few people who have tried him he has “run away with” (okay, he just trotted really fast and then cantered and wouldn’t stop…) so that didn’t work out. Not saying I’m a brilliant rider, he and I just click for some reason. Fine.

And if it’s three steps forward, two steps back…okay. So what? Am I enjoying him? check Is he enjoying his work? Well, he decided to stand at the stall door waiting for me instead of diving into his grain this morning. He seems to enjoy it. He loves to come out and play and is extremely unhappy when he has time off. Okay. Am I annoyed that I keep having to get “re-sore” from saddle time in batches? Yea, but I’ll live.

Right now I’m trying to make it mandatory that I make time for him each and every day. We’ll see how far I get with that one. I know with more saddle time we’ll stop weaving around the ring like a drunken sailor, and we’ll make progress. I know that he’ll become the horse that he’s capable of being.

Remind me of all of this when I freak out next week that we’re not getting anywhere :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=spacytracy;5891590]
3’!! I’m still a weenie about 2’3"!!!

We’re having some soggy wet weather here, not that I’m really complaining. But I have one horse at home and one at the trainer’s place, so rain means I can’t ride the home-horse.

I did get up to ride my new boy this weekend and he was wonderful! He’s an OTTB, I’ve had him about 2 months, and he has been off the track for a year but not really used for anything, and not really restarted. He’s coming along AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyG58EZKbWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9r-UyvxYyY[/QUOTE]

HA! I am a bigger weenie – I am at the 18" level!

Your OTTB is adorable - and I am jealous of your indoor!

Again, OneGrey, your horse describes mine just the same! He’s OTTB, he’s unbalanced and confused but a FREAKING SAINT!

Love both of your posts OneGrayPony – there are too many sections of each that resonate with me for me to quote them all.

Like you, I need to concentrate on just letting my boy move forward, and not get worried when we take “three steps forward and two steps back.”

I’m such a perfectionist/control freak at work (occupational hazard) that it is hard to just go with the flow with him when he does something that wasn’t part of my plan (e.g., ducking to the inside instead of staying on the rail, etc.). I’m working on it!

Definitely not my indoor, just lucky enough to be able to use it!!!

Love my OTTB, he is perfect for this adult rerider. I’ve had him a year, but been riding him regularly only about 5 months. He is our barn “trail leader” and we ride EVERYWHERE. Down roads, over bridges (they sound scary under green feet!) thru water, over logs, railroad tracks and he will canter nicely thru a 50 acre pasture on the buckle. He has never bucked or bolted, rarely spooks and is the most patient sweet soul ever. He’s only 6 but a very mature young man! And may I add he is fancyyyyyyy. I lucked up with him for sure!

[QUOTE=KathyR;5882682]
I am also a re-rider, off for over 18 years, although I’ve been back riding for 11 years. However, due to dental surgeries, then my wonderful instructor passing away this summer, I had not ridden for a year and a half. Now I’m riding dressage-4 lessons!, instead of hunters. I never knew how complicated dressage could be! After remembering where legs, hands, shoulders, back, neck, and hips should be, my poor mind is overwhelmed. And, I’m only doing walk-trot! I am really enjoying it, although my body is more sore after a lesson than it used to be. I realy admire the dressage riders who make it look so easy, when it is really hard.[/QUOTE]

KathyR, I am sorry for your loss…

I too did not know how complicated dressage really was!! I am struggling with all the same things plus learning to put horse on the bit… However, I really love it and all the in details that come with it!! I just wish the learning was faster!! Good luck to everyone!! :slight_smile:

An update from us: The boy and I had a fantastic ride today! First we schooled in the indoor. Someone in another thread had turned me on to http://www.equestriancoach.com/ and after watching videos rather obsessively, I had to go ride. Mr. Pone was brilliant. We cantered in the indoor both ways without hassle, we were able to get good steps of back up, and our trot was lovely in both directions. Steering is also improving. Then we took a break…then went on a 2 1/2 hour trail ride with a friend of ours! I haven’t been on a trail ride in…oh…forever.

Mr. Pone was brilliant. He was pokey on the way out and speedy on the way back (we managed to walk, not jig, but he was booking it), but he didn’t bat an eye at anything (well, one stump got the hairy eyeball, but that’s it). He even was chill when we had to cross the bridge and though he took it no problem, his mate had a minor meltdown and crashed into his butt. Other than a quick scoot, he was fine.

I’m proud of myself, though I have all sorts of position issues and I am going to be super S.O.R.E from that much time in the tack, I sat chilly on the whole trail ride and our training session was a success as well. That counts for TWO great rides in one day IMO. Sweaty saddlepads and sore thighs are in order for both of us, I think!

How’s everyone else doing?

OneGrey - great victory! I always have these worst-case scenarios that might happen, and instead just enjoy the ride and relax. I’ve taken my boy to a public park and he was FINE. I just need to do it more, so I feel more relaxed.

I’ve been doing the ever-fun saddle search, and frankly I’m tired of it already. It doesn’t help that I only can justify a few hundred dollars so I’m very limited in what I can get that’s not a total POS. But with my skinny boy’s changing body, I don’t want to shell out a fortune for something that’s not going to fit in 2 months.

So I’m trolling CL, ebay, all the used sights, trying to find someone who doesn’t realize what they actually have, and getting something for a steal.

I actually ordered a new collegiate on ebay that was a closeout, and its great,but doesn’t fit him. So back to the drawing board I go!

I am the queen of worst case scenarios given my fear issues. I had this stupid fear of him bolting back to the barn, careening madly over the bridge and getting hit by a car on the one place that we have to cross the road causing a career and possibly life-ending crash.

sigh

Of course, I was completely doubting MY capabilities. I’ve ridden bolters before and stopped/controlled them just fine. The chances of the aforementioned situation happening were quite slim, given that my horse genuinely doesn’t have a mean bone in his body and is not a crazy nor out of control animal in the least.

rolleyesatself

Good luck on your saddle search - you have a PM. I ended up with an adjustable tree Bates for this stage in my horse’s development. I know some people don’t like them, but I actually really like it. The tree “adjustment” was not as easy as I thought it was going to be (required my husband’s strong forearms), but it was the only saddle I could find that I could get in a med-narrow, which was what my horse actually needed upon measurement. The influx of the warmblood HAS changed saddle sizing, I can tell you that much!

[QUOTE=OneGrayPony;5895487]
I am the queen of worst case scenarios given my fear issues.
rolleyesatselfQUOTE]

Ditto – thus the not so good end to our hunter pace October 1st! But I’m working on it!

Congrats on your fabulous day with your horse.

We have a show Saturday, so I’ll be sneaking out of work early to go school at the show grounds, then spending the day tomorrow out there. I’ll miss these days when winter sets in!

Everyone have a good weekend!