Unlimited access >

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Good luck and have a great show TarheelJD!

Tagging along here as an adult re-rider. Show this weekend! :slight_smile:

Joining you there! In my defense, I sat in an English saddle for the first time three years ago. I don’t own a horse but am extremely lucky to be able to part lease a wonderful horse from my trainer. His barn nickname is “The Cadillac”, he makes everyone look good and can definitely take a joke.

I’ve been very lucky to have gotten to ride some wonderful horse, both at my trainers and with my friends who foxhunt. Went hunting last weekend and did manage to light my friend’s been there, done that field hunter up like a Christmas tree! We survived and I had a lovely hunt with some landowners on green horses. The next day I even jumped him over a small log (Mr Jump Up My Neck and You WILL Eat Dirt) on a much more successful trail ride!

Congrats iechris! Tarheel, how’d the show go?

Had an uneventful ride today, despite the fact that the temperature has dropped 20 degrees and the wind was blowing the weeds that are next to the indoor against the wall and it sounded like monsters were scratching at the wall trying to get in. We were quite forward and a little bug-eyed, but nothing too terrible.

I’m frustrated with my physical fitness and my body in general. I’m trying to be patient but it’s so freaking hard! So I’ve divided up our rides into sections. First, a warmup, then section 1 is us working on steering and whatever new thing we’re doing for the day (today it was poles…whee!) then section 2 is strength work for me (right now it means as much two point as I can tolerate before the pony starts to get annoyed) then a cooldown. I’m trying to not let him get fitter than me (and failing miserably).

So…updates?

I got a new mare today, and she is just wonderful!!! I am in love already!

I had an awesome ride today with my mare! It was one of those grinning from ear to ear type of lessons. We nailed everything I’ve been working on/struggling with, namely not letting her ignore me before and after fences, and my arch nemesis, bending lines. Mareface was a total saint though, listening well and we even jumped hay bales she was eyeballing before the lesson. Rides like today are the reason I bought her. When she’s this good and ON, riding her is the best thing ever.

And the weather was beautiful this morning to boot (mid seventies)

Hope everyone else had good rides too!

[QUOTE=OneGrayPony;5891642]
Me too Mee too Mee too! Count me in!

First of all, spacytracy your horse is adorable.

I rode a lot when I was a teen. Basically lived in the saddle when I wasn’t at school. Then I became an adult, had kids, got married, and it wasn’t until my eldest was 6 that I was able to throw a leg back over a horse. I rode consistently for about 2 years and was really getting back into the groove, teaching some beginners and showing again, when my mare went lame and had to be retired, then I moved. I ended up with a greenie, who I backed, broke and sold. Then I got another greenie, and got busy, traveling 80% of the time, and I got him backed and mostly broke before the accident. Well, it was a series of accidents, really. Not just on him, but also on a friend/trainer’s horse.

I lost my confidence and didn’t ride for another year. I didn’t ride the greenie (sold him). Didn’t ride anything. Had panic attacks just thinking about riding. Had panic attacks going into the field and hanging out with the horses.

Completely broke my heart. Even during my hiatus from riding due to children, horses are my passion, my zen, my life.

Got a new horse after that, an OTTB with the best brain that I’ve ever met on a horse. I’m now riding again as I can. Work is very busy, but my horse can go months without riding and still be completely sane. We’re stuck in this cycle right now of getting going and making progress, and then me getting busy and us both losing condition and having to start over.

Being a grownup sucks.

I have bad lesson anxiety (who knows why), so I’ve decided to just start riding again, and hope that with time my focus can be on my riding and I can stop having so much anxiety. It gets so bad that I run out of breath and can’t post twice around the ring in a lesson - yet just riding on my own I have no issues getting around.

I’m in a constant battle with myself…should I have my horse and I in more of a program? Should I try to show again? Should I be working towards external or internal goals? Should I focus on this horse who, though very talented, may not stay glued together long enough to do anything or should I just enjoy him while I have him.

All that being said - all the stress and angst melts away when I get on my good boy’s back. Though I’m frustrated with my body (it seems to have forgotten everything it ever knew about riding), when I ride, I forget everything and am 100% in the moment with my horse. It’s the best therapy that money can buy. I wish my insurance covered it :-/

Rainy weather today so I’m going to hack the boy in the indoor.

Oh - and I totally second the recommendation to ride with Hunters Rest. I didn’t get to hunt with her, but have hacked and lessoned with her and she is positively FABULOUS. I’m going on the next hunt and cannot WAIT! Literally bouncing out of my chair. I’m going to be completely unbearable until November. My horse hunted a season, and I know he’d love to go again, but since I’ve never been, I’m renting one of her lovely critters. Once I get better, I want to take him. Baby steps…baby steps.

Have good rides everyone![/QUOTE]

Wonderful post… thanks…

I too am going back and forth with grand ideas of showing, lessons aaannnnnddddd - the money, time it takes to do it and unsound horses :frowning:

Being grown up does suck. :lol:

But we need our Zen! Glad I’m not alone… :slight_smile:

There used to be a quite active Re Riders clique here. I am/was a charter member but i think many migrated to another board and facebook.

I rode a lot as a Jr and a bit in college ( no serviciable isha team where i went for a few more years). Got married moved x country to be with dh had kids had several medical problems pop up which I call my bodies attempts to kill me as I always put off going to the Drs, which I know I shouldnt… esp given my bodies history…

1 1/2 years ago after living in pain for a year I was dx’d with not one but two forms of nonleathal/no cure cancers. Non leathal is a misnomer as they can be IF you do not begin treatment with in the first 2 years of first onset of symptoms… cut it close had 6mths…
I will be on the chemo drug for rest of life, just to keep them under control. Lucky for me both are done with only one drug. This past April (10 days before my b-day) my Dr cleared me to ride. Figures I sold all of my tack the day I was Dx’d because everything I have read on these says avoid hard falls… But I guess something in back of my mind told me keep hold of your heavy made in early all wood tack trunk…

So now I look at the classfieds, canter sites et al in search of a horse that is with in the price range I wish to pay. Course I will have to get new bridle, saddle, girth, halter, lead etal… But at least dh is no longer treating me like a china doll that will break if someone looks at me funny… And this weekend when I said " dh I really need a horse" he replied “I know you do.” Not the what became the norm " No I dont want you riding again I worry that you will fall and get hurt to where the drs cant put you back together again." So now Im on the real hunt… And of course a place to put the horse when I finally select the ‘‘lucky’’ canidate ( not sure how lucky he will be ).

And what is worse the closest trainer I would trust with both me and horse is 75 miles each direction from my house. I live in AQHA wp h#$l… AndI dont do wp…

Do I have dreams of getting back into the show ring sure I do. IS it a real dream? dont know it depends on body…
Right now Id be happy if I could get myself over 2’ when I was doing 3’6" when stopped riding not so many years ago… Thinking last time stepped into show ring was about 5 years ago…

So good luck you all seem to be doing well.

OneGreyPony, it looks as though I may be seeing you at the November hunt…it seems that someone has cancelled, opening a spot and a horse for me. I’m looking forward to it, but it will likely be a bit more challenging than hunting in September.

I definitely hear what so many of you say about getting nervous, or anticipating the worst. I call it watching the movie…you see an empty bag blowing outside the ring…instead of just being aware, you immediately see your horse bolting, galloping around the corner, flinging you to the dirt…a complete over-reaction to something that hasn’t even happened yet!

I’m better about that than I used to be, but I’m still a worrier. Yesterday was our first really chilly riding day, and windy, too. My lesson coincided with a noisy lawnmower, a leaf blower, screaming children and a pony who decided to use any of those excuses to scoot. Now I know she’s not truly bad, but I get nervous and we both need a long time to calm down and get anything done.

But it’s all worth it when you have a good ride, as we did today. Same chill, same wind, but the pony was dead calm and we wrapped up the ride bareback.

When you’re an adult who HAS TO work and pay the bills, it’s OK to be cautious.

That’s fabulous Hinderella! Looking forward to meeting you!

Welcome everyone else to the thread!

We had an “ok” ride today. Not a great one, but an ok one. Pone is quiet and non-spooky as can be BUTTTTTTT forward. He’ll w-t-c nicely on a loopy rein (not in balance yet, still working on that) but once you take any sort of a light contact he’s off to the races. sigh We’re working on it. He’s such a sensitive soul. I have only to think canter and he goes. The problem is sometimes I think “oh crap he’s going to break into a canter” and he takes that as a “yes”. I jest. Well, only sort of. snort

I’m currently trying to recoup from a weekend of riding and raking leaves. I live in the woods. Like, the woods woods, not just “have a few trees in the yard” woods. Which means that my lawn is covered in leaves. I know raking leaves is good for me. I know that my triceps will appreciate it later. Right now, after doing a much better job of riding all week + raking leaves all weekend my body feels like I’ve been hit by a mack truck.

All in the name of getting back in shape, right?

Right now Id be happy if I could get myself over 2’ when I was doing 3’6" when stopped riding not so many years ago…

bumknees, I’m not doing 2’ yet. Of course, this could have something to do with having a green horse and trying to get back into riding at the same time. I’d be happy with 2’ too. Actually, come to think of it, I’d be happier cantering around the ring in balance. Or trotting without looking like a giraffe with a rather large simian on it’s back. Baby steps.

We nailed everything I’ve been working on/struggling with, namely not letting her ignore me before and after fences, and my arch nemesis, bending lines.

Bending lines! Woo hoo! Sounds like you had a lovely ride which is a wonderful thing!!!

I got a new mare today, and she is just wonderful!!! I am in love already!

Pics?

But we need our Zen! Glad I’m not alone…

You are totally not alone. Not one bit.

bumknees – so glad you are cleared to ride again, and that the DH realizes that you need your horse, who will be just as important to keeping you healthy as modern medicine (the former for the soul, the latter for the body). Keep us posted on your horse search!

We had a great weekend – beautiful weather, a good number of entries so there was some meaningful competion, and a good judge. We placed 2nd in 4 classes and 5th in 2 classes. The 5th places resulted from my canter departs being off/rough for some reason. But that’s OK, we’ll work on them and get back into the groove.

A friend of mine came and took some pictures of us (my husband means well, but he always seems to cut off my head, or half of my horse’s head, etc.). When I get the pics from her, I’ll post one if they are any good.

The best part of the day was unexpected. No one rides my horse but me, and my 2 trainers (mother/daughter team that owns the barn). One of their young students – a really sweet 13 year old girl my trainer has taught for years – was slated to ride a horse that was inexplicably having huge spooking issues at one side of the ring yesterday. My trainer asked if I would consider allowing the child to ride Tajar, because it really would not have been a fun experience for her to fight with her intended mount every time they were on the “spooky side.” Of course, I said yes. I can’t imagine saying no and watching the poor girl suffer when I had the ability to help her out. So … I watched as Tajar packed that sweet girl around like nobody’s business!! She was Champion for her division – and she’d never ridden him before! I was so proud of him! This is only his second year showing hunters, and he acted like a real veteran.

ETA: I have got to make it to one of the 2012 Hunter’s Rest hunts!!

Love reading these show updates, and hearing from others who are just returning. Great way to start the week! And congrats on the weekend results!

Right now we’re relegated to W/T due to B’s infirmities. He’s a greenie as well - although very well mannered. So we’re doing some indoor exercises and trail rides. Had a good one this weekend with others from the barn, so now I know where to go - several dogs in tow as well - B had one “monster moment” when a golden ran up from behind to catch the group - was perfect after that.

When I left full time riding over 20 years ago, my goal was to do well enough that I might one day be able to do Ammy Owners without embarassing myself. Of course, showing, divisions, & breeds have definitely changed over the years. Doubt I’ll be able to do them with B as the prognosis for his jumping is guarded. And I must get in riding shape as well. But the dream is still there.

Also looking forward to getting to a hunt(s). Best friend hoping to find a spot for me in the 3rd field up here before the snow flies. But VA in the spring sounds devine!

Some days my sweet patient horse is the only thing that keeps me sane.

So, I’m going to ride my baby (4year old OTTB) that I purchased last spring on Saturday. I will take a picture and hope to post it here-we will see. I am so happy to be able to ride again. My baby is at a new barn still about 30 miles away with his trainer that has had him since June of this year.

I want to be riding again and yesterday I bought a new helmet since my old one was moldy from sitting in the cabinet at the barn. I will need to shlep my saddle, helmet and boots to ride but I cannot wait to canter around with my new boy ! There are times when I am doing the most mundane things and I remind myself that I have a horse to ride, who is young and a blank slate and it just gets me so happy

My older horse (19 year old TB) has been lame since since June 2010. I retired him from jumping September 2007 so I am so happy to have another horse to bring along. Love this rerider thread ! We need more pictures, however, I hate the no more velvet helmets on the market and no more OTS pull on boots. Some changes are not great, new horses however, well I cannot wait to ride him…I feel 10 again.

good luck stolen!

I had plans to ride tonight but I’m sick. Ah well. Its crappy out and I hate driving up there at night anymore - why do we switch off daylight savings again?? ugh.

Hope everyone has great rides this weekend!

I hate that it’s getting dark early now – it will be really awful when the time switches.

Stolen Virtue, I am still wearing my pull-on Dehners from 1979! And I show in a velvet helmet!

[QUOTE=Dewey;5905730]
Stolen Virtue, I am still wearing my pull-on Dehners from 1979! And I show in a velvet helmet![/QUOTE]

I am envious. I was so surprised by the lack of velvet helmets and $375.00 for a helmet, please it had better teach my horse flying changes for that cost ! I don’t mind feeling out of place at say “Best Buy” but a tack store, that is frusterating.:eek:

Yes, I’ll really hate it when I can no longer squeeze in a ride after work. Even now I find that it’s pretty dark when I wrap up my ride at 7:00

I’m actually considering packing my horse out to a barn with an indoor for a month this winter to squeeze in a little more riding.

On the other hand, while I miss my riding time in the winter, and I dread getting out of shape, I do believe that my horse benefits from the winter break.

Stolen virtue, helmets certainly do provide you with sticker shock. My everyday helmet is a Tipperary, which is about $60, and i found a velvet helmet for hunting for a reasonable price.

I bought my Charles Owen “The Rider” velvet helmet for $95. I think it’s beautiful.