Unlimited access >

Can we talk about bits

I am not sure where to put this question, hopefully this is ok. I went to the local tack store to look for a simple happy mouth to start a youngster with. I did a quick count, there must have been at least 3 dozen bits on display and not one French link or Happy Mouth!
Most were shanked, many had rollers or twists…
I wonder if someone could give me a run down on why so many and how they function?
I do know that some combine poll pressure with leverage but some seem to combine mixed elements.
Like a snaffle with shanks? Rollers give the tongue something to do but what do the twists do?
Feel free to recommend a site that already explains function of various bits if there is one. This is more to satisfy my curious and slightly bewildered brain.

I generally use a happy mouth to start babies, move up to a loose ring snaffle as they mature. I have invested in a number of loose ring snaffles mind you, different sizes, metals, french links. :slight_smile:

if i were to gather them all up, i’d probably have a whole muckbucket full of bits. Personally, i think the Happy Mouth bits are too thick.
And i dislike rollers, i just don’t want to encourage funny-buisness going on inside their mouth when i have them tacked up.

I usually start all horses in a full cheek, single break snaffle that is not one of the thick heavy kind. I don’t move them out of that until i am certain they know and comply with my leg.

It might take 2-4 days to receive, but you can order anything you want online. In fact, i got all my happy moufs online.

1 Like

The Horse Bitbank has a good page that provides explanations of how various bits, including both mouthpieces and cheek pieces, work:
Bits and their action

I think every horse is different, in terms of what they like and how they respond to different set ups. And the bridle itself makes a difference too.

Anyway, anybody who has owned a horse probably has an extensive collection of bits as we all search for the “best.” The search can be frustrating but also educational.

3 Likes

It sounds like you were looking at a selection of western bits? French link/double-jointed bits are probably the most popular style of snaffle for dressage, and many of the types of bits you listed aren’t legal for dressage, so I don’t think you’ll get a lot of insight into their purposes on this forum.

Within the realm of snaffles, there are many to choose from, and several long threads on this forum from people trying to find just the right one for their horse. Bit fitting based on mouth conformation is becoming more popular, and there are more and more choices on the market to best fit each horse.

5 Likes

There is no such thing. Some ill-conceived western brands market their shanked bits as “snaffles” because they have a jointed mouthpiece, but this is incorrect. The definition of a snaffle is a bit that acts with direct pressure. Shanks act with leverage pressure.

It sounds like you were at a western tack shop or in the western section.

I agree.

I also don’t like loose rings. I’m weird, I know. My preferred starter bit is an Eggbutt with lozenge, but as with everything, it depends on the horse.

5 Likes

totally with

totally with-u on the loose ring. Was going to say that, but decided that after dissing roller bits and happy mouth it would be just too critical. Anyhoooo eggbutt single joint is my next bit after full cheek snaffle. And then the search is on for the perfect bit for the going-concern working horse.

1 Like

Also, consider the shop: do they cater to hunter riders as well? QH people? D rings and slow twists may be the norm for those disciplines but they just throw all the bits up on one wall. It is important to know what is legal for your discipline.

I’m a full cheek (single or double jointed) kinda girl for the babies.

1 Like

I use a Happy Mouth to teach the horse to take and give the bit, but don’t use them for riding. They get sharp spots really quickly, in addition to being thick and clunky. Once I’m confident that the horse can be bridled/unbridled without bumping teeth on the bit, I move to a metal bit for riding.

2 Likes

I have said this a lot, but I didn’t fully appreciate how much difference the right shape/style bit can make until I figured out my mare’s preference. I used to ride all my horses in a fat, loose ring snaffle, thinking I was using one of the mildest of bits and any issues were rider based. Yet with my mare, I rode the struggle bus for years, never able to get her consistent in the bridle. I found what she likes by accident (low port mullen) and our problems vanished instantly. No, I don’t believe a magic bit can replace training, but if a horse isn’t comfortable, everything is a thousand times harder than it needs to be. Especially when your horse is a complainer.

4 Likes

Yes, There is no ‘english’ Section. Lol

Yeah, that’s what I have done also.

Going to look up the bit site And see how an eggbut functions.

more similar to a Dring than an Oring…but sexier.

2 Likes