Can we talk about Ride iQ?

I am a big fan of RideIQ as well, but most of the time I don’t ride along to the lessons. I like to listen to them while driving or as podcasts to get ideas for exercises that would be helpful for me and my horse. It’s fascinating to see how so many different pros go about their training with a variety of horses, and I feel like I’ve had some great lightbulb moments when trying new exercises. Listening to the dressage test ride-alongs or read throughs are really helpful to me as well.

I am also obsessed with the podcast side of the app - Sinead interviews so many awesome people on In Stride, and the Natalie Hummel mindset ones that are somewhat new are just incredible!

3 Likes

If you go to the collections section within lessons, there is a collection for walking lessons. Not sure you’re interested in groundwork, but I have also found those lessons helpful.

I see there are so many on here that love Ride IQ but I’m going to go against the grain and say, I just can’t seem to get into it. I ride alone 95% of the time and I find trying to listen and keep up, so distracting. Maybe I’m not doing it right but I like to feel my horse under me. Diagnose weekdays needed and my ride is centered around that.

I will admit I only gave it 20 min before I gave up and went rogue.

Am I the only one who feels it’s really hard to listen to a hypothetical situation rather then to just feel what’s really happening?

2 Likes

KurPlexed -

I’m glad you posted your opinion - I haven’t tried this app (I don’t even have a phone) but it is vital to me that I am focussed on my horse when riding and especially schooling. So I think I would agree with you.

If I am having a lesson, splitting my attention between horse and trainer, I rely on the trainer’s “eyes on the ground” to help fill in for my less-than-full focus on my horse. Then in subsequent days at home, I can “replay” the lesson with full focus on my horse and leverage the trainer’s inputs.

I like the idea that someone posted above about using the app to “preview” or to “plan” a training session so that the rider knows what they hope to accomplish and how to approach it.

1 Like

I felt that way at first too. I think the beauty of the app is that you can use it as much or as little in a ride as you feel is helpful. Some days I can follow along movement by movement. Some days my horse or I might find a particular piece challenging and pause the audio for a bit to work through something. For me, it’s less about trying to “keep up” the whole time (lord knows my adult amateur self on a green OTTB isn’t going step for step with an Olympian on a finished upper level horse), and more about individual exercises or a little extra guidance.

It also took some trial and error to find the type of lessons and coaches who tend to be the best fit for us. Now it’s more and more often that I’m riding along and feeling the same thing a coach is describing. So it doesn’t take me out of my feel so much as it reinforces it.

It may not be your cup of tea, and that’s totally valid.

3 Likes

Yes this!! In lessons we rely on our trainers to be our eyes and were able to focus in what they are saying, but when we’re alone we need to rely on our own feel.

For me to ride and listen to someone who’s only riding what they feel is really difficult.

One thing I left out… after I turned it off and started riding on my own, i got bucked off. :rofl: In my defense I was schooling changes and I’m not sure the warm up on the app was the warm up I needed that day. Lol

@Amy3996. Yes. I just don’t think it’s for me. I’m so type A, that I’ll get totally frustrated if I can’t keep up and follow along. I do like the idea of listening prior to riding tho

2 Likes

I tried a ride the other day for the first time. It was a warmup with Lauren Sprieser and I liked it.

However it’s so weird to me to have earbuds when riding. I like to hear what’s going on around me and my horse.

I’m not sure if I’d use this more than about once a week, so the cost pus me off. That’s probably for the reason stated above: the coach on the app isn’t seeing me in the moment, whereas an in-person lesson is tailored just to us.

1 Like

I love the app but I do agree that it can be tough to listen along and ride. I just use one earpiece so that I can at least have one ear listening to the world lol.

Some of the coaches talk a little bit too much. Sometimes I wish it was a little bit more just pure instruction, just telling us what to do versus talking about their programs or whatever.

I can’t use the app if the barn’s busy… I feel like I’ll crash into someone! Lol. But it is nice on days when it’s quiet. I do love listening to the content.

2 Likes

I posted in the RideIQ group about the earbuds thing. Many are using Shokz, which don’t go in your ear but sit behind it. Still, only you can hear the audio…it’s bone conduction I believe.

1 Like

I absolutely hate having earbuds in when I’m at the barn! If you look for “open ear” headphones or ear buds on Amazon, there are lots of options. I bought the Quaekie (sp?) ones that work pretty well but occasionally one or the other will cut out. Decided to keep those at my desk at work, and have these on the way, which I’m hoping will be worth the extra $$, though still significantly cheaper than Shokz. The sunglasses ones I posted upthread don’t really have enough volume, and charging is a problem. I like the charging case and standard cable type for something I’m going to keep at the stable.

2 Likes

I use riding pants that have pockets on the thigh - that way I can hear what is going on around me but also what the Ride iQ coach is guiding me through (and just set my phone to full volume).

3 Likes

Have you tried any lessons with Prue Barrett, Gina Smith, or Holly Hepp-Hudspeth? They are right to the point and get you straight to work with clear instructions. :star_struck:

6 Likes

I need to look into the Prue Barrett ones! I do enjoy the other two as well. I also enjoy Jen Carter’s lessons too.

3 Likes

Oh are there a few groundwork ones? I’m gonna have a few months rehab with my guy after colic surgery and this might be worth it to not be bored out of our minds.

1 Like

PSA: Even if deeply absorbed in listening to Ride IQ in the car, refrain from attempting a leg yield while driving down the highway at high speeds in heavy traffic. :open_mouth:

10 Likes

For anyone thinking of subscribing, last year they did a Black Friday sale that was I think 30% off, so it was a pretty good deal for a one-year subscription. Hoping they offer it again this year!

2 Likes

Considering the black friday deal this year. I am rehabbing my horse (hind suspensory injury) and don’t expect to be back in full work until the spring. I’m an adult beginner who dabbles in dressage (that’s stretching it a bit… I do flatwork with a horse who has fancy buttons that I don’t yet have the skill to ride most times). I don’t have wifi at the barn and do try to protect my limited data each month. Would you recommend I get it, or is it perhaps not worth it for my circumstances?

Yes! There are some great walk/rehab lessons, too. You can download lessons in advance at home on WiFi so you don’t need to worry about using data.

1 Like

The Black Friday deal was posted - 30% off, so it makes the full year $175, or you can do a month or three months. It includes a 2-week trial, so you can cancel if you don’t like it. Code is TGIF30 and you need to go through the website, not the app.

1 Like

It makes the year subscription $209.30 :slight_smile: