Unlimited access >

Can you help me with my TB's pedigree?

I admit to knowing next to nothing about Thoroughbred bloodlines. I really love this mare and am curious about her bloodlines. She’s a lovely mover for dressage and knowledgeable people often mistake her for a warmblood. I wonder if anybody could give me more information on her pedigree.

Link:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/harbor+at+night

Or if the link doesn’t work, copy and paste from below:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/harbor+at+night

This is a nice page on your mare IMO. Harbor Man stood as a sporthorse sire and I believe he sired well in that regard. I love Wild Again – excellent sport type stallion that produced true to type. I like his bloodlines for sport as well. Icecapade has been in alot of sporthorse pedigrees and he is a half brother to Ruffian, who everyone loved. Bushel-N-Peck’s sire Khaled is a super line from Hyperion - who I consider one of the best and Khaled sired Swaps who was superb conformation. Sheltered Harbor was a nice mare who was a producer and by First Landing from the Turn-To line known for producing great jumpers. First Landing also sired Riva Ridge. Hildene was a producer from good sportlines. Saggy I believe sired the KY Derby winner whose name escapes me, but he was a true “dark horse”. Swing and Sway is by Equipose, who was a SW known as the “Chocolate Soldier” – won many races and raced for years. He is in my now deceased senior stallion’s pedigree. Barbizon has some terrific sportlines through Polynesian (sire of Native Dancer) and Unbreakable/Black Polly x Black Toney are fabulous, although on back there. Good Blood is by Bull Lea, who was a great sire for racing and sport, a Calumet horse. Sailor is by Eight Thirty - from the same lines at Black Toney. Not so familiar with the Argentine horses on the very bottom, but many Argentine Thoroughbreds have been very successful jumpers. I recognize Foxhunter, Bahram and The Yuvara which are European bred and pretty far back but nice lines. Good luck with her.
PennyG

Thanks TKR. I am considering breeding her as she needs a year off to recover from a pasture injury. If the foal was at least as nice as my mare I’d be thrilled, and my vet agrees she had conformation worth breeding. I’m a complete newbie to breeding and bloodlines, so I wanted to do some research first.

Khaled, Turn To, Polynesian: all super sport lines. Not uncommon, but is uncommon to see that close up in a horse her age these days. Foxhunter isn’t seen much anymore, good jump.

Wild Again is probably one of the few Icecapade sons that I like - Icecapade on paper has a great sport pedigree, but I have heard (just my experience) and seen some of his progeny that were quite unsound after racing. Could be they mature slower but seem game enough to run early, or track conditions, I don’t know – but I don’t personally love him in a pedigree. However, Wild Again’s dam-side I like.

I personally wouldn’t want to breed her – not because she isn’t nice, but because I would worry about stressing her injury more.

It is interesting to see Turn-To so close, I love him – additionally, Foxhunter I would like to see up close in a pedigree because he is a Son In Law son and Dark Ronald grandson, a stallion that was used heavily in WB breeding.