Unlimited access >

Canadian Olympic Team - who do you pick?

The 2015 Short List has been decimated and there have been some shufflings this spring, but I haven’t been able to keep on top of all of them.

My team picks:
Rebecca Howard and Riddle Master
Kyle Carter and FR’s Trust Fund
Jessica Phoenix and A Little Romance or Bentley’s Best
Rachel McDonough and Irish Rhythm

Reserve: Colleen Loach with Qorry Blue D’Argouges

People I expect the selectors to pick instead of my picks:
Selena O’Hanlon with Foxwood High
Waylon Roberts and Kelecyn Cognac

Dark Horse: Holly Jacks and More Inspiration

I’m happy to see Rebecca entered at Luhmuhlen although it’s only the CIC***. However I think she & Riddle Master are by far our best hope for a top placing. Can’t recall why they got 20 at Pau last fall.

Jessica Phoenix has had a light spring but when I checked her results A Little Romance sticks out as being the most consistent. I think her body type will be able to cope with any hot or humid weather and if the course is the generally assumed 3*/soft 4*, then it should suit her. If the selectors pick Pavarotti then I think I can put my question about his soundness to rest.

I picked Kyle Carter on FR’s Trust Fund over Colleen Loach with Qorry because Kyle has the team experience and I think he’d bring home a team clear when it was needed. His horse is short on experience and has the same issues with its record as others I’ve passed over in my picks. But I don’t think the team selectors will send Madison Park (age/soundness reasons even if maybe he’d be a good selection) so perhaps they’ll give Kyle the nod with the younger horse.

Foxwood High hasn’t been as consistent as I’d like, and hasn’t finished a 4* since WEG where he picked up 20. I picked Irish Rhythm over Foxwood High because he just finished as top Canadian in the CCI*** at Bromont, whereas Foxwood High was down the pack in the CIC3*. But maybe the selectors will pick Collen Loach over Rachel McDonough.

I passed over Kathryn Robinson and Let It Bee because a quick review of his FEI record shows very high finishing scores. It’s too bad because she went clear XC around Badminton this spring; but with 52 time penalties, I don’t want to chance either heat/humidity with that horse, and I don’t want to chance another Pan Am Games blip.

How about your team, reserve, and a dark horse?

Team Picks
Rebecca Howard and Riddle Master
Jessica Phoenix and Pavarotti
Colleen Loach with Qorry Blue D’Argouges

Alternates
Rachel McDonough and Irish Rhythm
Waylon Roberts and Kelecyn Cognac
Kyle Carter and FR’s Trust Fund
Toss up between Rachel and Waylon…

It’s come down to pure politics these days though, Its really hard to say who they’ll choose. I think we’ll all be in shock no matter what. EC is a shit show.

[QUOTE=LadyB;8705022]

It’s come down to pure politics these days though, Its really hard to say who they’ll choose. I think we’ll all be in shock no matter what. EC is a shit show.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes.

“The 2015 Short List has been decimated …”

who was on it that is now not in the picture?

(yes, I’m lazy and don’t want to go look it up myself LOL)

Peter Barry, Hawley Bennett, Kendal Lehari Cody Sturgess all not in the running.

Here it is

thanks Blugal!

Rebecca Howard
Selena O’Hanlon
Jessica Phoenix
Colleen Loach
Waylon as the alternate

Jessica Phoenix and Pavarotti
Rachel Mc Donough with Irish Rhythm
Waylon Robers and Kelecyn Cognac

Alternate Colleen Loach with Quorry Blue D’Argouges

I’d make a joke out of selections because I’d pick A Little Romance out of pure sentiment for AFR and our member here, as opposed to stats. Anyway, I like that gutsy little cat-like mare.

At Luhmuhlen, Katherine Robinson scored a 45 in the CIC***. must have been a nice test. Rebecca Howard only scored a 51.10 in the CIC***. When you click on her score you can look at her test sheet; she had an error. I wonder what that was. On the main results page, it has a different number (#2) than the error for course which show as (#1).

Jess Phoenix had a fall again at her last event, she has had quite a few falls the last two years. I would love to see some new riders on the squad, Selena I think is our best choice available right now for returning members.

[QUOTE=Sharon;8708682]
At Luhmuhlen, Katherine Robinson scored a 45 in the CIC***. must have been a nice test. Rebecca Howard only scored a 51.10 in the CIC***. When you click on her score you can look at her test sheet; she had an error. I wonder what that was. On the main results page, it has a different number (#2) than the error for course which show as (#1).[/QUOTE]

Riddle Master clear XC with 6.4 time, now in 12th
Let it Bee clear XC with 13.2 time, now in 14th

double post - deleting

Where is Karen Robinson’s blog now? It is no longer on the Horse-Canada site. I always enjoyed her behind the scenes insights into Canada team selections. I have been looking for where she is writing now, but have not been able to find it.

[QUOTE=Sharon;8712570]
Where is Karen Robinson’s blog now? It is no longer on the Horse-Canada site. I always enjoyed her behind the scenes insights into Canada team selections. I have been looking for where she is writing now, but have not been able to find it.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure if she is still writing one. The comments at the bottom of this post suggest what may have happened:http://www.horse-canada.com/straight-up/counterbalance/

Hmm. Do you think the selectors will weight 4* experience more heavily than 3* success? I wonder if they will be taking into account the horses’ breeding and age with respect to the expected weather in Rio?

They might use that to justify their choices…

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8712796]
They might use that to justify their choices…[/QUOTE]

In fairness to the selectors, I think they have a tough job this cycle. While there were basically no options in 2012, there are a number of options in 2016. The trick is balancing which of the less experienced pairs are ready to step up and capable of a good performance on that weekend, under the pressure.

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;8709424]
Jess Phoenix had a fall again at her last event, she has had quite a few falls the last two years. I would love to see some new riders on the squad, Selena I think is our best choice available right now for returning members.[/QUOTE]

Jealoushe, even though you deny it, you really do seem to hold a grudge against Jess.
You never miss an opportunity to take a swing at her and sometimes her horses.

Regarding climate conditions - they studied a lot before Atlanta and have made accommodations with misting tents and cooling out procedures. Getting there early will help acclimatize them.