Unlimited access >

Canadian Tack stores for Used saddles/good advice?

Having a heck of a time saddle shopping. Hard to even find tack stores to contact though…google is letting me down! Surely there are a few good tack stores that take saddles on consignment that I am just not finding? Other than Tack Collector in Calgary, any other good places outside of Edmonton I should contact?

Bakers, Sprucewood, Bahrs, Calgary Saddlery are my first thoughts!

2 Likes

As an aside, why can’t saddle consignment stores put details such as saddle width in the thumb nails or filters…so frustrating.

3 Likes

It’s been awhile since I lived in Edmonton, but I recall the Tudor Tack Shoppe having a good reputation.

Also, have you contacted any of the Alberta saddle reps? I got a used Antares from the CWD rep when someone traded it in to get a custom saddle.

The Forward Horse, Highland Tack (BC) and I believe Commonwealth (Calgary) also have used saddles.

1 Like

I have heard good things about Donna, but I have also heard you have to be prepared to spend the big bucks. A client got a lovely custom from her a while back! I am not prepared to spend the big bucks on this dude just yet.

@GoodTimes Tudor only has one wide tree saddle in stock unfortunately…and not something I would be interested in. I have bought three saddles from them in the last 2 years though, and Jessica seems knowledgeable.

I may contact Karen Wong, although nothing she has currently in stock seems suitable for him, that’s why I am looking further away.

1 Like

Highland has some nice consignment saddles! I sent them a PM. Thanks for the recommendation as I had never heard of them before.

I just sent her an email. I have emails/inquiries out to 6 places and waiting to hear back. $2-3 is my hopeful budget.

1 Like

Karen was able to get a wide tree for my guy he is a +2.5 in Equipe. She also has a range called Ideal that fits wider horses the twist was too much for me though.

I have sent six or seven saddle inquiries to tack stores (Monday) (emails and one facebook message) and only one sort of reply for more information. I guess I need to be more patient, but I thought I would hear back in some manner in 24 hours.

Four Winds Saddle Services out of Grande Prairie carries a lot of used saddles. She comes down south quite often.

1 Like

Thanks @uncanny580 it looks like she is scheduled to be my way next week! I will send her a message.

So far ZERO replies from the other saddle fitters or shops other than automated responses. A bit disappointed. I have ordered a back riser to help me be able to keep riding without killing my back. maybe that will prove to be enough.

Try One Click Tack

Thanks @Wrenwood_Farm but the “All Sales final” part scares me.

2 Likes

Thanks @uncanny580 the Tack Collector and Four Winds are the ONLY ones who responded with an actual option (unfortunately the one Four Winds has is on trial right now, so I am waiting to hear back - I am not as sure of the Tack Collectors option). A couple others responded for more information, but then nothing. No responses from Ontario. Shocked by the poor customer service at a time when we are doing so much on-line. Even a “Thank you for your inquiry, but we don’t have anything suitable for you”.