Unlimited access >

Can't believe I lost another one today . .

I lost my old boy Rascal last fall to renal failure, my sweet Beth earlier this year to heart failure, and this morning I lost my oldest girl Trixie to a stroke. I really hope this is it for a while.

She had an episode last night - just sat in the floor meowing loudly for about thirty seconds - and then was fine. She ate this morning, but then seemed to have trouble coordinating her back legs, and didn’t seem to know where she was or where she was going. After a couple of the other cats started to jump her, I put her in the bathroom, and found her unresponsive about an hour later. My vet said to bring her right in; they met me and after evaluating her, we decided to let her go. She hadn’t responded to anything, not even to being put in the crate; hadn’t responded to anything on the drive in, either. She was still breathing, but her pupils were fixed already.

I don’t know if I can take losing any more kitties this year. She was 18, and I’ve had her since she was about 6 weeks of age.

10 Likes

I’m so sorry. Three so soon must be heartbreaking. I wish I could say something to help but…

(((hugs)))

I’m so sorry.

1 Like

Oh shoot, I am so sorry!

1 Like

So sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. You had 18 precious years with her and must have some wonderful memories to hang on to. ((hugs))

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss ~

RIP ~ Beloved Trixie ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

A&B ~ I, too have been trying to navigate through this loss of cats and horses ~ I can’t even share/post it because it’s been never ending for the last few years … as they all arrived during the same time period and crossing that damn Rainbow Bridge one right after another ~ it’s really rough …

“ One of the kindest things you can do,” said the mole, “is be gentle and patient with yourself.”

((hugs)) laced with understanding and comfort for your very heartbreaking assignment

6 Likes

That’s exactly how it’s been the last few years with me, too - they were all of one ‘generation,’ if you will, so they’re all departing at the same time. I went from 8 horse to 3 in the span of 5 years, and now the older cats are all crossing over, too . . . luckily I have my younger generation of kitties with me now.

But damn it, I’m a little over it right now.

3 Likes

Exactly and just too painful for me to discuss ~ my heart has been RE-shattered annually since 2011 ~ adding * repeatedly each year ~ it’s just really really tough !

• my remaining three cats are: one is 21yo and two are 18 yo. …
    and yes we’ve had a bridge crossing this year
    1-14-21 Beloved “ Popcorn” ~ 18 yo white with tan trim ~ rescued feral at six weeks / then domesticated inside cat and loved dearly by all ~

I understand I do ~

6 Likes

@Zu_Zu

Hugs and jingles for you too!! Popcorn sounds like a lucky and precious kitty.

3 Likes

I’m so very sorry about Trixie (Rascal and Beth too). :cry: It tears your heart out every time. I can never decide if it’s better to lose them quickly or if they are sick for a while and you know it’s coming. Both of them suck.

I’m in the same boat with some of you about having several cats close to the same age. I lost Sophie (age 15) a while back to kidney failure. I have one that is turning 16 this year, I have two that are 13 (one of them has advanced kidney failure), and one that is 11 and one that is 8. I only have one cat that is under 10 years old so I will probably lose several of them in a fairly short amount of time. But I can’t imagine losing 3 cats in about 6 months. Zu_Zu, I’m sorry for your losses too.

4 Likes

Hugs to you :heart: No matter how much time we have with them, it’s never enough.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of this latest loss. It seems like they all come at once don’t they? And it doesn’t get easier. I get being over it. Sometimes it’s too much. They mean so much to us.
((((Hugs))))

((((hugs)))) to you too @Zu_Zu. It’s hard when you love them so much.

3 Likes

So sorry, A&B’s Mom, and Zu Zu, too, for your repeated losses.

3 Likes

So sorry that you are suffering so much loss.

3 Likes

Looking in on you A&B ~ hope you’re being patient with your heart ~

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s taking some getting used to - the worst part is always feeding time, when you look for a minute for that missing cat and then realize that they’re not there. It’s really weird to only have four cats to feed in the kitchen now, instead of the 7 I had a few months ago.

6 Likes

Oh, I get that. That moment when you go “now where is so and so?” and realize they aren’t there any more. I get that when I go shopping - I’ll see something that one of my cats loved and think “oh, I should get…oh yeah…no.” Still can’t go down the aisle with the canned chicken because that was Maysie’s fave.

I have a sign in my house about Cats Leave Pawprints on your Heart. They do.

1 Like

I am so sorry for your loss :frowning: losing an animal is the worst but you can find relief in the fact that she had 18 amazing years with you

3 Likes