Can't feel fingers...rein problems

So, without boring you all with my long history of back and neck issues, i was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for me.
I tend to lose feeling in my middle finger, ring finger and pinkie and it makes it very difficult to keep a consistent hold on the reins. The harder i try to hold onto them, the more they slip out of my fingers.
I have tried a myriad of options – gloves, no gloves, extra sticky gloves, laced reins, rubber reins, thick reins, thin reins and i am still constantly adjusting my reins!!
Any suggestions on what might be a good option to try? I should also maybe post this in the dressage forum as I would like to do some 2nd level tests this fall and i will need something legal to show with.
Thanks!

Use your thumb to hold the reins firmly. The reins still run through your fingers, but the thumb is what will keep the rein length constant.

This is what I have to do as I cannot bend my fingers very well, nor have proper feeling. I find it also helps to slightly curl my wrists inward.

[QUOTE=Aorrowan;8265278]
So, without boring you all with my long history of back and neck issues, i was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for me.
I tend to lose feeling in my middle finger, ring finger and pinkie and it makes it very difficult to keep a consistent hold on the reins. The harder i try to hold onto them, the more they slip out of my fingers.
I have tried a myriad of options – gloves, no gloves, extra sticky gloves, laced reins, rubber reins, thick reins, thin reins and i am still constantly adjusting my reins!!
Any suggestions on what might be a good option to try? I should also maybe post this in the dressage forum as I would like to do some 2nd level tests this fall and i will need something legal to show with.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Since I started riding (at 22) I’ve had impaired movement and feeling in my right hand. I can’t actually bend my fingers all the way. I definitely rely on my thumb to hold, and I find reins with the ladders on them (not sure what they are called, you know, rings around the rein about every four inches) very helpful, because I situate one of those markers within feel of the thumb/forefinger connection.

I also periodically have to look at rein lengths. For awhile I was using rainbow reins, to learn how “right” felt, but now I can usually judge my rein length by the feel of my horse under me, AND the relative tension in my whole arm… I don’t rely on my fingers.

YMMV, as I mentioned, this is all I’ve ever had to work with, and I’m far from having a high level connection. I’m doing a solid training level dressage right now, with reasonably consistent contact for that level. When I’m jumping, I frequently slip and readjust my reins in that hand.

Have you tried bridging the reins? That helps. I have seen some folks hold the reins overhand. The comes from the bit over the index finger and then the end goes down thru the hand. Then you can make a discreet lump on the rein with duct tape, and camoflage that with black (or brown) vet wrap.

There are also some specially made reins with loops. I know someone with carpal tunnel who uses them. Good pictures about half way down the page.

www.para-equestrian.com/products.htm

[QUOTE=csaper58;8265554]
Have you tried bridging the reins? That helps. I have seen some folks hold the reins overhand. The comes from the bit over the index finger and then the end goes down thru the hand. Then you can make a discreet lump on the rein with duct tape, and camoflage that with black (or brown) vet wrap.

There are also some specially made reins with loops. I know someone with carpal tunnel who uses them. Good pictures about half way down the page.

www.para-equestrian.com/products.htm[/QUOTE]

Not sure that bridging the reins nor rein loop are allowed in competition though.