Unlimited access >

Canter aid confused hunter/jumper rider

We are exceptionally lucky ! This is the 2nd horse of this lady we have in our school string (the other is now a jumper as he previously didn’t enjoy high level dressage)…we also have a 3rd one and she’s currently leased out (also a jumper)! The person who shows her jumpers is now one of our new barn owners so we are getting some new school horses…! And Zero was sent over to actually replace one of our school horses that is off for 6 months because he is so mellow and kind and laid back! He felt very bouncy at first , especially as I’m 5ft1 with short legs and he’s about 17hh, but once I settled in, he was sooooo comfortable and it was like sitting on a cloud!

10 Likes

What everyone else said, with this caveat: be sure to keep your aids separate. In other words, you need an independent seat to correctly perform the canter depart. If you are one whose upper body moves with their seat bone, you will still probably not be successful. So give a soft aid and keep your upper body quiet. You are indeed fortunate. I’m so glad you’re having fun! Please do report back on your next lesson. Pictures or it didn’t happen. :smiley:

1 Like

Watch this video and it may help. Are you trying to canter from the posting trot, maybe?

3 Likes

I tried from walk…. If was easy when we first started but then when he was tired ( he’s currently not in top shape) was when I had all my issues! Now I’m thinking about it, in the start I just sort of did a very light ask and bam…. Canter! and once he was tired ( we did a lot of walking) then I tried again and that’s when my leg got strong and I got a trot! Trainer just had me walk and said “let’s stop he’s tired “ which was the right call ….

Something tells me once he’s back in full shape…. Wowzers hang on because already his trot is so easy to collect and then go forward on! I am going to learn so so much !

12 Likes

the joys of tons of buttons on a GP horse. When I got my first upper level horse, I could NOT get a trot/canter transition for the life of me. I got everything but canter. I still smile thinking about that horse and all he taught me :heart:

I was taught that a slight scoop with a lifting of the inside hip bone a little squeeze from the calf. However, timing is important as well. I cant explain clearly from the hind leg as I time my aid off of the inside front leg. Which is probably the reason I struggle with tempis.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ll have a fun ride if you get to continue on him!

2 Likes

Is he still in CA? Sign me up for a lesson!

Honestly I think it’s too easy to overthink these things. Horses that are finely tuned to one rider are naturally going to have a hard time deciphering a new rider’s aids. You’re anatomically different, you probably weigh different, and you sit differently (not least because it takes a while to get used to a new horse’s gaits). Really every new rider probably “confuses” every new horse they sit on for a few aids, but horses and riders with practice with multiple horses and riders are more likely to figure each other out quicker. I would not sweat it in the least that the angle of your leg from your thigh was blah blah blah and the precise flexion of your inside rein needed to be blah blah blah…use a verbal cue, pair it with whatever canter aid feels natural to you, and if you and the horse get enough chances to get to know one another, the horse will canter as soon as you think canter.

5 Likes

Lol yep, he’s currently at Teesdale Equestrian…… in Calgary

2 Likes

One thing that you will likely find if his owner was either competent or had a pro keeping the horse somewhat sharp is that his aids will be much more specific than your average 1st or 2nd level horse.

I’ve heard stories often about people who rode dressage at a lower level and once they got on a confirmed PSG horse they couldn’t even get the horse to walk.

1 Like

Getting ready for this weeks lesson! My arms not long enough to get his entire head in hahahahahhaha

10 Likes

Lesson was FABULOUS! picked up canter every time…. Doing it from the sitting trot worked wonders! Then we finished with cantering down the center line, half pass across the diagnol and flying change to change direction…. Then extended trot across the other diagnol …I laughed the whole time

28 Likes

Lucky!!! Soak in every moment!!

1 Like

So what changed? Enquiring minds are dying to know.

I’m thinking he’s a little bit fitter….he was definitely not as lazy as last week! I did what a few of you lovely people suggested and never tried to go into canter from a walk but every time from a sitting trot…I definitely did not use as strong an outside leg as I did last week, I just concentrated on keeping my hands low and wider and quiet and shifted my weight more to the inside and he just went forward into the canter….I surprised even myself to be honest! LOL :laughing:

He definitely likes to “take a feel” when warmed up but you have to keep more leg than I’m used to with a much lighter rein for sure! When we cantered a circle, I used a bit too much hand and suddenly we were basically cantering on the spot! Lol….So my trainer was constantly saying “more leg lighter hands” ….I’m currently in a hot bath, exhausted :rofl::rofl:

Luckily I have at least a month on him as the mare I normally have my flat lessons on, is off for a month (splint) so I’m excited to figure out exactly how I managed this in this lesson! And I’m hoping at some point someone will be around to get a video of my pathetic dressage attempt…,that to me feel like I should be amazing Hahahahhaha

14 Likes

That’s awesome…cantering on the spot is usually too much seat so play around with that too!

1 Like