Unlimited access >

Capital physeal fracture & FHO for cat

Just looking for experiences from anyone who has had a cat go through FHO surgery. My year old cat has developed spontaneous bilateral capital physeal fractures. :frowning: Surgery for the worst hip is next Monday - after healing, he’ll go back to have the other one done.

If you have any experience with this, I’d love to hear your story. I’m hesitant to put him through 2 surgeries and recoveries, but outcomes seem to be pretty good.

It does tend to be very well tolerated with a shockingly brief recovery time. I did one on a patient about 18 months ago. Happy healthy cat.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Marshfield . It seems like such an invasive surgery, I appreciate the extra reassurance.

Bumping topic to ask for any additional feedback. My very special 1yr old cat fell from the barn trusses and fractured the hear of her femur. Vet is recommending FHO surgery. It’s pricey, but worth it if she has a return to normal, pain free movement.

Also want to hear what folks did for rehab!

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your kitty! How’s she doing?

I know it’s been awhile since your post, but figured I could update just in case. My guy had both of his surgeries, recovery wasn’t too bad. He was extra snuggly the week after the surgeries, and didn’t jump on things much for maybe about 6 months after the last surgery. 2 years out he’s well back to his normal self, you’d never know anything happened at all. Definitely a good choice for me and my guy.

1 Like

Good to hear and thanks for your response!

We did the surgery last Friday. So far, so good. Athena has been extra snuggly, just as you described. She spent the first day in a crate and has since been released to a bedroom.

Athena is a very active cat and she’s only a year old so we’re hoping to get a lot of use out of her legs!

1 Like

Oh, good! I hope Athena heals well and quickly. Did the vet give any advice about rehab?

The vet said give her one or two days of rest in her crate, then let her have the run of the house! I was concerned that she would overdo it, especially because dog recovery is a lot more conservative. I’m glad she’s not trying anything too daring so she’s out as long as we’re home.

1 Like