Unlimited access >

Carabiner or linchpin for keeping trailer latches closed?

My trailer has the typical rear cam latch and hasp closures, like this:

I’ve always used a carabiner for extra safety to keep it from flying open on the road like this (closest photo I could find, but you get the idea!)

I want to attach some kind of closing mechanism with a cord so they don’t disappear as they’re prone to doing! Like this:

or this: https://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/Linch-Pin-Attachment-KIT_p_844.html

But I’m not sure if I want to use carabiners or linchpins like they have in the above photo. Does anyone have a compelling argument for one over the other, or another idea altogether?

I use one of these, attached to the trailer with a short section of decorative chain from the hardware store. A friend has something like your second photo. It is sometimes hard to open, and the cable has a burr on it and needs replacing but… it cable and riveted, so… )

2 Likes

Not compelling, but gotta watch your fingers with those linchpins with rings. They will snap shut on your fingers if you’re not careful, and it really hurts. I mean, it’s not an injury but it’ll leave a bruise.

Carabiners offer easy one-hand operation, I’d totally go with that

1 Like

Depending on your climate - either. If you’re in a high corrosion/moisture area, go for the linchpin, they seem to avoid getting sticky, whereas carabiners will corrode and get sticky.

Another even more important point is to ask yourself if you will EVER tie your horse within reach of a carabiner. If so, linchpin is your correct choice. Carabiners will behave like fish hooks in noses and lips.

2 Likes

Those would work too! My trailer has 2 linchpins attached like that photo for the rear top doors, but like your friend’s they’ve gotten old and pokey. Not fun! I bought some vinyl coated wire and a wire crimper to redo them and secure other new clips. The trailer turned 20 this year, so I’m hoping it will be a long time before I have to replace them again!

Good point about the carabiners! There’s not really a way to clip them away from the horse like you would hanging buckets.

IMHO, linchpins are easier to undo from a swinging latch like in your first picture, which makes it safer if you need to get the doors open in a hurry. The sure do hurt like a mo’ if they snap shut on fingers, but I’m ok with that risk over having easier access. And honestly, I’ve done and undone linchpins from trailer doors and tractor implements for 20 years and can’t remember more than a couple times I had a problem with a finger.

2 Likes

I use a linchpin on a similar latch, and am satisfied with it. Haven’t pinched my fingers yet.

1 Like

I use something similar to that pin but mine has an extra little bit on bottom you can press thumb against to make it easier to open. I’ve never pinched my fingers on it and I like that it’s a nice large pin. I have to say I’ve never worried about losing it? I immediately put it back in hole as soon as I unlock door and it’s never been misplaced in 4 years so far.

3 Likes

Mine is like the one posted by Dun By Mistake.

1 Like

I’m a little embarrassed I forgot about these sweet things (that I have on my own trailer! Doh!) You can get them in commercial truck size for ease of one handed use. They are a little bigger and more square in shape than rounded D shape. Love them. No snappy snappy and pretty much nothing for a horse to try to kill themselves on. (knock on wood)

1 Like

Not to derail but is this really necessary? I have never used any additional clip… granted I have 2 latches on the spring loaded ramp and another on the top doors. I guess I might feel different if I had a single swing door and only 1 latch.

I also use a caribeaner for my haynets… double ended snaps always break when they get tossed around. I guess horses will find a way to maim themselves on anything :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have a single back door with only one latch so for me, definitely necessary.

1 Like

Ooh, I like the look of those @DunByMistake . I think we have a winner. Thanks for the recommendation! You’re right that it probably isn’t necessary to wire them down, but I figure it won’t hurt anything to do it!

@ClassyJumper it’s a valid question. Probably not necessary 99.9% of the time, but that 0.1% is when you really wish you had them! I figure I’ll never regret using a small piece of safety equipment, but I might regret not using it if, god forbid, something happens.

I’m a big fan of carabiners too for haynets and whatnot. The difference is you can easily snap them away from the horse so they won’t get caught. There’s not really a way to do that in this application.

1 Like

I got pulled over one time by a concerned motorist who could see that one of the doors on the (borrowed) trailer I was using had flown open. Due to the speed I was travelling (not fast at that particular point) it didn’t flap enough for me to see it in my mirrors. It was an upper door, on a brand of trailer I now understand to be complete crap, but still, every latch every time + lock the tack door + lock the walk through door from dressing room to horse area. Then check them all twice, then start the engine :slight_smile:

3 Likes