Career Options - what do you think?

Hi everyone! It’s been a super long time since I’ve posted in here but I’ve been super crazy busy!

Also, this is going to be a long post. Sorry. And the horse-related part is coming, I promise!

So long story short, I graduate (FINALLY) in seven weeks, at the end of winter term! I will have my BS in Animal Science with options in pre-veterinary medicine and equine science. So logically, the next question becomes “what am I going to do with my life?” For a variety of reasons related to my TBI and epilepsy, it is becoming apparent that medical school or vet school would not be possible (or, possible, but to the exclusion of everything else in my life for 4-8 years :dead:). Moreover, I’m just not sure that I WANT to do that.

So other things I have considered:

PhD in any of these: equine and/or companion animal nutrition, equine/companion animal behavior, neurobiology, equine reproduction, equine/companion animal rehabilitation…I think this carries with it the same risks of med/vet school though.

I’d really like to look into things like wilderness rescue (I’m a certified WFR) or ski patrol or adventure leadership/guiding in backpacking, mountaineering, climbing, or kayaking, but again, I’m not sure how TBI/epilepsy would play into that. I know for urban EMS you have to be seizure free for a number of years and I’m definitely not.

So the one that I keep coming back to (and one that I really like the idea of) is training. I did a lot of training throughout the first four years of college but gave it up after the accident. I’ve been doing a lot more riding lately and I think I want to get back into training. Maybe not full-time (I have a great part-time job right now), and maybe not forever, but while I’m still trying to figure out the grand scheme of my life, I think it might be good. I’m going to be putting a lot of time into riding this spring and summer because I am going to try for my Pony Club B rating at the end of July. My Vegas is getting bred this spring (:D) … I’ll just be doing a lot of work in the horse world again, so why not?

Now, I’ve heard most of the why not’s from my family and friends - the physical wear and tear on your body, the long days, little time off, low profit margin, not to mention the consequences of falling again. But is there a way to make this safe? Can I do this while assuaging my family’s concerns?

And since I will most certainly be doing more teaching this summer, I thought about doing something like this: a riding program for kids with intellectual/developmental/learning disabilities. Not a therapeutic riding program, but a riding school for those special needs children who want to really learn how to ride, but can’t get the accommodations they need from your typical riding school. I know there would be a lot of planning and development that would have to go into this, but do you think it is feasible and do you think there would be a need for it? Aside from all the typical things that go into starting a riding school, what would I have to set up? I have a great deal of experience teaching children (and some adults) to ride and I have a fair bit of experience working with special needs children, but no formal education or training in that. Would that be a detriment to my qualifications?

Thank you for any input you can give - as you can tell, I’m floundering around trying to figure out where to go next!

I am not qualified to give you career advice by any stretch but as a trainer for the past twenty years I can tell you it is very hard on a healthy body which yours isn’t at this time. I definitely would look for something that wasn’t as physically demanding for now. Best of luck to you, I know it’s a hard decision.

By all means, get into training…If you want to be broke your entire life as well as look and feel like your 70 on your 40th birthday.

A gal at my barn just graduated with an animal science degree and is in a similar situation, although w/o the TBI. It was suggested to her to look into an ultra-sound or similar therapy type machine. If you have enough horse density, it would pay for itself fairly quickly. Charge $X per horse, per treatment; there are enough middle age horse mom’s who will do anything to keep Dobbin going, and many trainers would use it if were available, at least mine would.

This would keep you in horses, but be less wear and tear on you, and probably more profitable than a stable or lesson program.

[QUOTE=Vegas Sky;6126871]

And since I will most certainly be doing more teaching this summer, I thought about doing something like this: a riding program for kids with intellectual/developmental/learning disabilities. Not a therapeutic riding program, but a riding school for those special needs children who want to really learn how to ride, but can’t get the accommodations they need from your typical riding school. I know there would be a lot of planning and development that would have to go into this, but do you think it is feasible and do you think there would be a need for it? Aside from all the typical things that go into starting a riding school, what would I have to set up? I have a great deal of experience teaching children (and some adults) to ride and I have a fair bit of experience working with special needs children, but no formal education or training in that. Would that be a detriment to my qualifications?

Thank you for any input you can give - as you can tell, I’m floundering around trying to figure out where to go next![/QUOTE]

I can’t offer much in the way of suggestions on how to go about getting something like what you described started - but I love the idea!

Are there any therapeutic riding centers in your area that you could contact, just to meet with the people who run the place and explain to them what your idea is? Maybe they can give you some advice.

Another option might be to get in touch with organizations in your area that deal specifically with helping people who have special needs or disabilities and find out what you might need to do as far as your own training in that area. They might also be able to give you some info on funding available to start that type of program.

The idea on its own sounds great but I am sorry to say I don’t think you will be ale to make a living at it. Making a living training is only slightly easier even for a person without physical challenges.

I would suggest something like
http://www.horseracingbusiness.com/the-university-of-louisville-equine-industry-program-3085.htm
with a horse or 2 to train on the side.

There is a LOT to say for having a steady income.

I have to say that if I hired you as a kayacking or mountain climbing guide and you had a seizure in the middle of a river or on a mountainside, I wouldn’t be a very happy camper.

You need to deal with your current reality which is your body isn’t what it once was and asking it to do strenuous things is a bad idea. As I said I am not qualified to give career advice but experience tells me if your body isn’t working you want to stay away from physical labor jobs. You sound like you have already gotten somewhat better so hopefully a complete recovery will come in time then you can choose from any career you would like. You aren’t there yet.

ihmm, lots to consider here.
first, i think you can work with horses a bit differently then training. what about evaluating horses for therapy riding programs? or retraining them to do that job?
teaching developmentally delayed people to ride and work and especially just be safe around horses is great work, and very rewarding.

but honestly if i were you i would totally follow the neuro path, learning as much as is possible about your own conditions and of others whose brains interest you.
then you can parlay your specialty knowledge of brains and horses and create something you can use which supports your desires to teach and work with horses.

i knew i wanted to stay at home and work, not go to a job every day. my best friend and i used to joke that we wanted to work from horseback, answering the phone and conducting business while walking down the trail,lol.

so in my case i care for a couple of dd men in my home. i have no real training for working with dd either, but an education like yours would be an amazing asset. so i have these two guys who live with us, plus i have an assistant who helps all around. the compensation is very good and i get to stay home all day if i want to.

because he lives here one of my guys now can catch and halter a horse, and he rides around the farm alone and bareback.
so i get paid pretty darn well to provide him a home and i play with my horses with him. he gets a horse chore to do, thereby becomes a contributing member of the family and one less chore for me is a good thing!

working with the disabled helps me to afford my horses, so the horses give back to the guys, it’s circular in a way.

another growing segment (sadly) is of service people coming home from war with tbi. you could use horses to help them and you would really have an edge over someone who didn’t understand the issues as you do.

anyway, there is a lot of opportunity in the service field, and horses can be integral to it.
hth.

I think horse training is a lousy idea as a career in your situation. A) You really don’t need to risk another brain injury and B) the pay sucks.

Have you considered physical therapy?
A) The prerequisites are similar to pre-vet pre-med. You should have met a lot of the requirements already if indeed you were on a pre-med track.
B) Driving may not be an option if your seizures continue. Medical centers are more likely to be on public transportation than many other employers.
C) Horse people are injury prone, and you speak horse. If you get good at the job, you would have a niche of customers whom you understand better than most other medical people would.
D) It pays a living wage.