Unlimited access >

Caring for spur rub

Unfortunately, my horse has developed a spur rub on his left side over the last two days. The hair has been rubbed off of the area creating a pink, raised rub. It isn’t an open wound - just a very angry rub. It looks so unsightly, and I have just been beside myself that it happened.

I ride him in small Herm-Sprenger rubber coated round-tip spurs year-round and never have problems with spur rubs until this time of year. It’s only happened twice (including this time) in the entire time that I’ve owned him - both times have been during this time of year. After looking at my spurs, I’ve realized that it isn’t the use of the actual spur that’s causing the rub - it’s the rubber coated part of the spur that is rubbing him. He’s a sensitive chestnut, and I think him shedding out his summer coat and transitioning to his winter coat makes his skin more sensitive than other times of the year. For reference, I usually have to switch my neoprene lined girth to a sheepskin lined one around this time of year to keep him from getting rubbed from his girth. It could also be that I’m starting to turn my left foot out again, which causes my foot to be up against his skin even though I’m not using the spur.

In addition to taking off my spur, working on strengthening my left ankle again, and treating the rub with skin soothing products, what else should I do to keep the rub from getting worse while continuing to keep him in work? I have a lesson tomorrow and plan to try and apply vaseline to the rub and show sheen to the area. Would that be enough to keep the spot from being irritated further during my ride causing a sore to form? Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a belly-band. After tomorrow, he will be getting a few days off to allow it to heal.

1 Like

You can use a towel or bandage quilt under your leg to protect the area. I’d probably do that while it’s raw.

You could try a little Vaseline over the pink spot and a few strips of Elastikon to protect the area while you ride. The Vaseline would prevent the adhesive from irritating the rub. Just don’t put show sheen on the hair because the Elastikon won’t stick.

Don’t beat yourself up. My guy always got rubs in the spring and fall because he was shedding out and the friction from just my boot on his side, not even the spur) would create a rub mark

Try a pair of noncoated spurs. Metal does not rub/drag like rubberized things on skin. Can he go without spurs? Ride with a whip as your aid that day, no spurs.

And yes, you probably have more leg on him than you believe, if it is only happening on one side. Poor habits have crept back. Being uneven in spur application could be affecting his responses, your other body parts. Perhaps even removing spur on the rubbed side only, could still give you a good lesson, since he may over-respond to cues on his sore side.

1 Like

The same thing has happened to me this year - once on a really hot humid evening where everything was sticky, and I think the hair literally stuck to my spur. And again last week as my horse is moving from summer to winter coat. The skin is not broken or even raw - just a patch of hair gone, but still I feel sick about it as I’ve never had this happen before on any of my previous horses and I don’t want to be causing him discomfort.

My solution for now is to simply ride him without spurs and focus even more on keeping my toe turned in and making him responsive enough to the leg without a spur.

I think some horses just have finer coats than others? Mine also developed rein rubs on his neck last winter after I clipped him, something I had never experienced in my life until I got him. I’ve been using fabric rub guards over the reins since and have no more issues there.

My OTTB has a very fine coat and had rein rubs all summer. Took us forever to figure out what the discolored patches on his neck were. Could you link your rein covers, please? Those would probably be helpful for us!

I ordered these from the UK They work great and are really not noticeable on the reins https://www.bossysbibs.com/products/bossys-reinguard

Sensitive chestnut owner here. It’s happening now because they are transitioning coats. The Equifit belly band works. It should also protect the rubbed spot to keep it from getting worse but I’d also skip spurs for a bit or change spurs to a longer neck, no rubber bits. You want to be able to touch the horse in a different area (different length) but also reduce risk of grabbing the (presently loose and thin) hair. A bit of a “sharper” spur might also encourage you not to keep nagging with the spur.

These are awesome. I used to ride in fleece tubing on my reins for my sensitive grey gelding and they looked dumb but at least my guy didn’t have neck rubs. He was decked in fleece. Such a sensitive boy.

Don’t wear spurs for awhile.

Body glide and gall salve will both protect the horse.

Make sure your boots (snd spurs, when you start using them again) are clean before you ride. Even clean between horses if you ride more than one.