Unlimited access >

Carpal Bone Chip - Not being removed - Prognosis? Ideas?

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting, but I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum.

My 15 YO Perch/TB mare got herself cast about a month ago over night and somehow gave herself a bone chip in the process. I don’t have the x-rays to post right now, but the chip is small, close to where we think it broke off of, and not between any other carpal bones. Because of it’s location removal would be more tricky and invasive than a normal bone chip and the cost is too much for me. I’ve had different opinions and quotes, but honestly, it is just not financially in my budget (student loans, grad school, etc.)

So the plan as of right now is to inject with HA, give her 8-12 weeks off and re-evaluate what’s going on at that time. (Probably check-in with an x-ray midway inbetween that time as well).

My girl has brought be up from elementry level eventing to novice . She ended the season at a Novice 3-Day, but the fitness required was harder on her than I had anticipated (she’s more perch than anything) and was going to be brought down to BN this season anyways just a few runs for fun.

So basically I’m looking for suggestions on helping her heal as compltly as possible and possible ideas on prognosis? Even if she can’t return to eventing, if she can trail ride and do light dressage that would be enough. I’m hoping to relocate soon and find myself in a situation to keep her indefinetly and have a second competition horse.

Thanks for any idea!

Chips are all about location. Some never bother them and some form a wedge that damages the joint with every step, so the prognosis can vary greatly.

I think only your vet + the surgeon who would remove the chip’s second opinion would be able to give you a prognosis as to how your mare might be without it being removed. As Laurierace mentioned, it all depends on the individual case. My gelding got 2 different bone chips in the same knee 3 months apart. The first one was off the accessory carpal bone and the surgeon said it would be very difficult to get to and recommened HA injection. We ended up starting IRAP on the knee about 2 months later. Then my horse broke off another bone chip in a different part of the knee which made him VERY lame and the both vet and surgeon said good candidate for removal. Even after going into the knee and trying to get the original bone chip, they couldn’t, so that one is still in there BUT does not seem to be causing him issues.

So as you can see, two different bone chips with two different “personalities” :slight_smile: