Unlimited access >

Carry on saddle?

carried on a saddle twice last year to from DC to LAX in Virgin America and American. No problem either time. Definitely take of the stirrups if for no other reason than it makes it a whole heckva lot lighter when you’re dragging it around the airport. I used a saddle carrier the first time, and the second just put the saddle cover on and carried it normally, which was easier frankly. Overhead bin. Granted the saddle we carried on was a 16" but it fit easily enough.

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;7485809]
Not true. No TSA agent has ever required my daughter to remove her stirrups off her saddle.[/QUOTE]

No, can be true. My friend had to trash her Royal Riders with the plastic inserts, not even the cheese graters, & Beval leathers at Dulles at security.

Apparently, they felt she was a threat to security that she was going to choke out the crew with the leathers and whatever you can do with plastic stirrups, because she tried to reason with them to let her keep the stirrups at least. All 120 lbs of her and her saddle were a threat.

Go on the side of caution and pack 'em.

Thanks so much everyone! I don’t even have stirrups or leathers on it yet, those are up in Calgary, so I don’t need to worry about those thank goodness. I’ll be shopping around for a good saddle bag in the event they tell me it needs to be stored with the strollers or something.

This is making me feel better about it for sure!

It also depends on the size of the airplane…a lot of flights are small jets with very small overhead compartments and non-existent under-seat areas. You could check with the airline just to make sure they aren’t making a last-minute equipment change.

Be prepared at customs. If it is an obvioiusly new saddle, they may expect to see proof of purchase so they can charge duty and GST.

I’ve never had to take my stirrups off either, and I will say that when flights have been full and there’s no room in the overhead bins, the flight attendants have always been kind enough to put it in the first class closet. That’s right, I have to fly coach, but my saddle goes first class :wink:

[QUOTE=Justice;7488049]
I’ve never had to take my stirrups off either, and I will say that when flights have been full and there’s no room in the overhead bins, the flight attendants have always been kind enough to put it in the first class closet. That’s right, I have to fly coach, but my saddle goes first class ;)[/QUOTE]

Unless it’s full, measures 12"deep x 20" wide (Airbus 319/320) or taped off with a broken door. Don’t count on that one, especially midwinter with the heavy coats in there.