Unlimited access >

Carry on saddle?

So I have a new saddle that I bought in Wellington that I need to bring back to Canada with me…

I was originally going to ship it, but it was much too expensive for me. I’m flying out on the 2nd of April and am hoping to just bring it as my carry on on the plane?

Has anyone had any experience travelling with a saddle this way? My nightmare scenario is that I get to the airport to board and they tell me I cant bring it on… :frowning:

You can bring it as carry on and put it in the overhead container. Depending on which airline you fly, it will count as your piece of carry on luggage. I would suggest that you try to get early boarding as you don’t want to have the overheads filled by the time you get on the plane (or have there not be enough space). Also, having a saddle bag is a good idea just to keep it from getting scratched or anything while its traveling. Best of luck!

Yep. Put in the overhead bin. Daughter has flown all over the country with her saddle in tow. She usually flies Southwest so she always gets A boarding so she can find get it in the bin before all those suit cases get placed in there. The saddle has a cover, so no scratches. The only time she had issues was when she was flying on one of those small Express Jet planes. Saddle didn’t fit in the overhead, so she put it behind her in the seat with her jacket over it. The flight attendants were none the wiser. There was no way it was going as checked baggage.

[QUOTE=nycequestrian;7484150]
You can bring it as carry on and put it in the overhead container. Depending on which airline you fly, it will count as your piece of carry on luggage. I would suggest that you try to get early boarding as you don’t want to have the overheads filled by the time you get on the plane (or have there not be enough space). Also, having a saddle bag is a good idea just to keep it from getting scratched or anything while its traveling. Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have done this a couple of times with no issues. Remove the leathers and irons and put them in your checked baggage first; lay the saddle on its side in the overhead comparment, pad with a jacket or two, and you should be good to go.

Yep - I carried on from Argentina to the US at the end of February. No irons, in a padded bag, in the overhead and weathered it just fine.

[QUOTE=katiegrace;7484129]
My nightmare scenario is that I get to the airport to board and they tell me I cant bring it on… :([/QUOTE]
It’s a valid nightmare - check with your airline :yes:

Make sure you have a heavy duty saddle bag & a back up plan …
be prepared for not getting it through … and it will go through no issue :lol:

Done this a hundred times, never had an issue :slight_smile: Just get on early and get it in the overhead!

One time I had someone ask me “Where my baby was”, I was super confused! I was sitting in the airport, riding boots, breeches, show shirt (my class ran soooo late!) and my school’s jacket that said ‘Equestrian’ on it… with my saddle next to me (with just a cover on top of it, the bottom was totally open)- why would these people think I have a baby??
So I said “I’m 19, so I don’t have one…”
“Then why do you have a car seat?”
“You mean my saddle?”
Blank Stares
“This is a saddle, for a horse, to ride a horse with”
“So why do you have a car seat?”
:no:

Second the suggestion to take off the stirrups and leathers. They won’t allow the stirrups through security. I’m guessing they could be considered a weapon. Pack those in your suitcase.

We’ve travelled with my daughter’s saddle and she hasn’t had any problems with it. We do have a travel cover to keep it from getting scratched. It fits easily in the overhead bin.

Why do people always assume a covered saddle is a car seat?! They don’t even remotely look alike to me.

I usually put it under the seat in front of me and not in the overhead bin…but if you remove the fittings you will be fine :slight_smile:

I’ve also carried onto Southwest no problem. I removed the stirrups and went to the back of the plane with open overhead space. It did have to go through the scanner twice, but it really wasn’t an issue.

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;7485421]
Why do people always assume a covered saddle is a car seat?! They don’t even remotely look alike to me.[/QUOTE]

I have NO idea!

Where would the baby sit?? Where are the straps?? Why would it be leather??

I flew with my saddle as carry-on with no problem, and those were two long overseas flights. So I’d think from FL to Canada you should be fine! Like others have said, best to call and check first, but I doubt it’ll be an issue. Get a zippered carrying bag with handles, remove your stirrups, stick some clothing as padding in there and you’ll be good to go.

Like everyone else said, take stirrups off. I just had the standard elastic cover n mine so it could be inspected with out hassle. Fits overhead.

[QUOTE=hype;7485395]
Second the suggestion to take off the stirrups and leathers. They won’t allow the stirrups through security. I’m guessing they could be considered a weapon. Pack those in your suitcase. [/QUOTE]

Not true. No TSA agent has ever required my daughter to remove her stirrups off her saddle.

I’ve taken my saddle to KY and NY on planes…I didn’t have to take my stirrups off. I flew southwest, they have wonderful customer service…I also have taken it on JetBlue

My daughter and I flew last winter to Wellington. No problem with it on the way down, but on the back they made us check it on at the gate!!! We begged them to put it with the baby strollers and car seats and tried to explain to be very careful etc. etc. but I was prepared to get a broken saddle at the end of the trip. It ended up fine, but we won’t risk that happening again. It was Southwest.

The only issue is if the bins are full, they are full, that late in boarding any closet space is going to be full too. Plus with several recent ground evacuations, one just last week, FAA is tightening up on F/As missing improperly stowed carry ons that have caused injuries when they turned into missiles at the sudden stop.

Most airlines offer preferred seats-aisles, windows, exit rows and sometimes extra leg room in the fwd part of the cabin. They cost a little more (20-60 on average for your type flight) but usually come with PRIORITY BOARDING, you get on after their high mileage regulars but earlier then the cattle car crowd.

Check your airlines website, calling doesn’t work like it used to with so many of the call centers routing general questions to inexperienced reps with differing language skills. Or charging extra to speak to a living person. Start with the airline website and get on the plane as early as you can.

One time when I carried my saddle on, it had to be gate checked. Thankfully all turned out well, but it’s a possibility. Just have a nice, padded saddle carrier just in case.

Always get priorty “A” boarding on Southwest. It is only $12.00 more each way. That way will have a place to store you saddle in the overhead bin.