Unlimited access >

Cassini II x Chellano

Hello! I have a new young gelding coming to me who I’m super excited about—he is Cassini II, out of a Chellano mare (Holstein 18A2). Thoughts on this cross? Seems like a really nice, easy-going sort so far. I’ve loved all the Cassini II’s I’ve met so far, but don’t know as much about Chellano.

Chellano was a very nice stallion that died far too young (10 or 11 IIRC) but was quite a successful sire. The one I knew by him had very good ride ability. Many of his foals went on to jump at the top of the sport and I believe some evented as well and there were quite a few licensed sons by him. Peter Moloney jumped a nice stallion by him called Compelling Z for a long time. I think there must be a little bit of frozen maybe still around with someone because there were a few foals registered by him in the last few years and someone has a 2021 embryo listed in horsetelex but my friend wasn’t able to source any when she was looking. There was a Chellano clone (Chellano Alpha Z) too.

Thanks! This horse is a full sibling to Casuality Z, who Christian Ahlmann won the CHIO Achen young horse tour with at Aachen back in 2015, so I’m hoping for a good brain, good jump, and rideability. (All of which I’ve seen so far in my evaluation of him, but just didn’t know what Chellano contributed to that mix.)