Unlimited access >

Cat is NQR. Any ideas?

The tuna and cheese pill pockets are back ordered at Petco. I’ll have to wait for my next Chewy shipment. But I have discovered that if I shove a small piece of cheese in front of her nose right after I pill her, she doesn’t try to hid the pill under her tongue or in her cheek! Yay for outsmarting kitties!

Sometimes if the pill went down, I’ll give him a few treats right after. To make sure it really goes down with the treats! :wink:

Re: Pill Pockets. Do you put it in the back of throat like you do with pills, or are the kitties expected to eat the pill pocket?

Also what kind of cheese do kitties like?

See my post above re: pill pockets :point_up:

My little weirdo likes everything from Doritos dust to Brie :laughing: But right now she’s getting cheddar. It was that or garlic and herb laughing cow and cats aren’t supposed to eat garlic so cheddar it is!

1 Like

Well she puked at 4am on Monday. No doses seem to have been missed of the famotidine. I got some pill pockets, she would like everyone to know that the chicken flavor is disgusting and she spit it out. I have promised that as soon as the tuna and cheese are back in stock I will get those. I also got her some new treats with Omega 3, 6 and 9. She has eaten 2 of them!!! Hopefully those will help get her inflammation down a little. I’m going to give it a week with 2 Omega containing treats, then if she pukes again I guess it’s the steroids the vet is recommending.

She sounds like she has quite the personality. She must be a terror when she is not sick.

As far as the cheese goes - some cheese (the garlic and herb) for you and some for her (cheddar). And YOU get wine with it.

1 Like

@shiloh She’s mellowed quite a bit over the years, but holy crap was she a lot for my first pet! She would knock everything and anything over or shred it if it was paper, she even chomped on some of my books! I have a lot of things behind glass doors now. She also used to go bonkers with a feather toy. She could jump a solid 5 ft. straight up in the air! Now she stays pretty much on the ground and her favorite toy is bailing twine :rofl:

1 Like

She keeps you on your toes :slight_smile: That’s her job

2 Likes

I always say that some cats are good for beginners. Some are more intermediate or advanced. Sounds like she’s not a beginner model! :wink:

2 Likes

Quick update, there’s been some puke incidents, but I caught the other one in the act one night so now I’m not sure who the mystery puker was. :crazy_face: But the peanut is regularly asking for more kibbles (still not really onboard with the wet food) and I’ve found a skin and joint treat with a bunch of Omega’s that she’s willing to eat. Hopefully that’s helping with the inflammation. I’m going to call my vet this week to see if I can get an appointment for the chonker, she’s always been prone to puking so I’m not really worried, but she’s overdue. They were only booking for illness/emergency when I called before.

1 Like

Good news! Hope things continue to improve.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I thought I’d give an update on the peanut. She continued to have some puking episodes so I caved and put her on the steroids. There have been no puking episodes since she’s been on them. I got the cosequin soft chews, but even the chonker wouldn’t eat them. And I finally got my hands on some tuna and cheese pill pockets. She says those are great, although we don’t really need them for the steroids, those came from the vet labeled catnip flavored! I did discover I could use the pill pockets to hide the cosequin. She’s also decided that she’s willing to eat some wet food, but only the chonkers “diet” food, blue buffalo wilderness mature. She’s also eating that one with the second fish oil I got, it’s sardine, anchovies, mackerel and herring. She’s also really happy with VetriScience renal essentials. I’m hoping that will help negate any bad side effects from the 'roids. She seems to have gain a little weight, back up to her fighting weight of 6.5lbs!

2 Likes

yay! Great news.

I tried the soft chews on my boy that needed them and he refused to eat them and all the other cats acted like I was trying to poison them. So back to the capsules and having them shoved down his throat. Ninny…

1 Like

It’s funny. I have to break them up and hand feed the first few bites to her. She won’t eat them if I put them on the floor. It’s weird.

1 Like

How is she doing @Sherry99

@vxf111 thanks for asking, she’s doing well on the 'roids. I tried the other day to take her off them and I saw some puke so she’s staying on them for now. I’m going to bring her back in for more bloodwork in a little while to see if they’re killing her kidneys. She’s eating well, she and the chonker split most of 5.5oz can of blue buffalo mature (aka diet) wet food morning and night, she also has her prescription kibbles at all time (the chonker gets limited kibbles). I can only get her to eat the cosaquin if I cover them with tuna and cheese flavored pill pockets, little weirdo! She’s still eating the vertiscience renal essentials regularly. Maybe that’s helping? I don’t know. But she seems happy so I’m just going with it.

1 Like

Update, the peanut was doing great on the 'roids, until last month when she got a UTI. A few days after finishing a round of enrofloxacin she peed blood again. So back to the emergency vet again. They couldn’t get a urine sample since her bladder was too small so they just gave me 10 days of Clavamox. About halfway through that she peed blood again. Made it to the regular vet and they were able to get a urine sample, they were unable to grow anything out. After she finished the 10 days of Clavamox she peed blood again. So she started a new 7 days of Clavamox. She gets her last dose in a couple hours, and of course she peed blood again last night. The vet and I are both a little confused. Any ideas? The vet is thinking another abdominal ultrasound. She does have diarrhea, she’s getting probiotics but won’t eat the liquid anti-diarrhea stuff that would actually help.

No advice … just Jingles … for a diagnosis and treatment plan to help her recover. ((hugs)) for her owner.

1 Like

Is the pee totally clean other than blood? No white cells, no bacteria, etc? Bloodwork looks okay?

Sterile cystitis is when the lining of the bladder gets irritated and bleeds, but I’d really wonder about the possibility of developing that while on a potent anti-inflammatory…? Seems like the steroid would prevent that sort of thing, but I could certainly be off base.

Sterile cystitis is often stress induced–has anything changed in the house? Cosequin is cheap & easy and might help soothe the bladder lining. You can also try Feliway plug ins (go for the multicat version) or something like prozac.

I’ve certainly had a cat that responded well to antibiotics despite a really normal cysto. A few rounds of clavimox were curative only briefly with a pretty quick return of symptoms, but covenia solved his peeing problem entirely–so that is one more thing for you to try

An ultrasound is an entirely reasonable next step, either now or maybe after one more try with antibiotics. Unless there’s a clear stress in the house issue, I’d use the ultrasound to rule out an obvious medical issue before trying Prozac or other antidepressant.

1 Like