Unlimited access >

Cat repellent to save furniture?

Used to be, there was a spray for furniture that cats found offensive, so would go and scratch the hell out of their approved trees, scratch pads, etc,

I haven’t seen any of it in ages. I need some. Where to look and what brand (if there are multiples) seems to work?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Why do you “need” it? Your cat certainly doesn’t!

Do you like your furniture more than you like your cat? :confused:

I googled cat repellent spray and got a lot of hits. Here’s one that looks as if it might be what you are looking for, on Amazon.

Lambert Kay

If you don’t want your cat on the furniture, get rid of the furniture.

Why do you think it’s called FURniture, anyway?

1 Like

My indoor cats–current count is three–are welcome to sit on, sleep on, shed all over on the upholstered furniture. They are not, by god, welcome to destroy it.

You guys are nuts. :winkgrin: Except for Louise.

2 Likes

You can buy double-sided tape to put on the corners of upholstered furniture to discourage claw-sharpening there. The brand I bought is Sticky Paws. It works; my kitties sharpen their claws on the more worn-out furniture, which I have not put any tape on because I want to encourage claw-sharpening on it.

The sofa that has the Sticky Paws tape has a tear that was not caused by any cat claws, but just by the pressure (I guess) of my arm resting there. I’ve never had a sofa wear out like this one has.

We’re not nuts, we’re cat people! :wink:

So, what is the difference between using sticky tape and cat repellent spray? It’s a matter of habituation. Eventually, they’ll associate both with unpleasantness and stop clawing the area. At least with the spray, there is nothing to see, you don’t have ugly tape stuck all over the place.

And, by the way, my furniture is old, and was old when I first got cats 16 years ago. It’s a mess, scratched and clawed to pieces, but I’m not getting new until I move things around so that I live downstairs (which will be when I can’t climb the stairs any more). By that time, the two, now old, cats that do the clawing will be gone and I can safely have nice things again.

For now, everything has throws over it, which, OP, is another thought. Put a long enough throw on the furniture, and the cats won’t be able to get at the good stuff underneath. They don’t like to claw on throws because the throws move when they try. Then, take the throws off when you have company.

For now, everything has throws over it, which, OP, is another thought. Put a long enough throw on the furniture, and the cats won’t be able to get at the good stuff underneath. They don’t like to claw on throws because the throws move when they try. Then, take the throws off when you have company.

Brilliant. I’d have never thought of it. Thanks.

I have used the double sticky tape with good success for our (what was) new mattress.

We recently purchased a new couch and kitties were scratching at it. I purchased a corrugated cat scratcher for about $5 at Walmart and placed it next to the corner they were scratching at. Solved the issue and they just love it! It is similar to this one except smaller.

Like Kat_Renee, I’ve had good luck sitting cheap cardboard scratchers right next to the spot on the furniture where the cat is scratching… 99% of the time they choose the thing that is designed for scratching, and forget completely about scratching the off-limits furniture.

It’s a simple but effective solution in a lot of cases! :yes:

So, what is the difference between using sticky tape and cat repellent spray? It’s a matter of habituation

It’s actually more a matter of the repellant spray being scented with chemicals that can really harm a cat’s nasal and other membranes. The sticky tape isn’t scented. I use it too.

I like the idea of throws. I didn’t realize the cats wouldn’t sharpen their claws on moveable throws. Hmm … was thinking about throwing a throw over the scratched-up arms of my wicker chair. I don’t want flakes of paint and bits of wicker getting caught under my cats’ claws.

I thought I had some info on this but finally ran across where I saved it

I did NOT actually try any of there but they seem fairly reasonable

they DO suggest you test in an inconspicuous area before wide spread spraying

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent

good luck

our cat scratched the back of a sofa, the side of a chair, leaped up onto a tall desk and a china cabinet (aluminum foil worked for that) and was set on destroying a fairly new rug by scratching

we got some clear plastic runners for the rug, and as long as they covered the edges - the cat left it alone, but he was right back scratching if the runners shifted to reveal some edge

Heads up that this thread was bumped by now-deleted spam. We’ll close it to avoid any confusion.

Cool new feature though! When I started composing this message, I got this pop-up to let me know it was an old thread:

Revive this topic?

The last reply to this topic was over 5 years ago . Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?

1 Like