Unlimited access >

Cat with blockages that wont resolve

Our older male cat gets occasional blockages, and is on the Purina UR diet (wet only) which seems to help, but he’s still occasionally uncomfortable. He’s had two mega expensive vet visits over the years to resolve blockages and it was a three alarm fire, but sometimes I think he still gets minor issues that resolve on their own.

The vet has been very unhelpful - she just said “the diet WILL work” and he’s been on it exclusively for a year without what I deem full resolution. He’s fed 5+ times a day as well, which I have read helps.

While I wait for her further input:

How can I acidify his urine more? I ordered a product online that claims to do so with Dl-Methionine 480 mg in it.

How can I get more water into him? A fountain didn’t work. We only feed wet. I add a tiny bit of warm water but he hates that.

What am I missing? Should he have muscle relaxers or Tamsulosin at home for us to give?

Is he stressed? Would an anti anxiety be worth considering? Is he on cosequin or similar? Have you considered a perineal urethrostomy?

1 Like

When my old Rascal had a massive blockage due to bladder stones, the vet put him on two different human prescriptions - one was Piroxicam (sp?) and I think the other was FloMax. He had to have them once a day for about a month, then we tapered off gradually. After about six months, he was off them entirely and never had another blockage (he was on the Science Diet urinary food for about a year as well).

Have you considered subQ fluids twice a week to get more fluids into him? They’re pretty easy to give and your vet or vet tech can teach you how to do it, and provide everything you need.

2 Likes

I had a young cat who spent a week at the vet because he kept re-blocking after the first time within 2 days of the vet clearing the blockages. After the 3rd time we elected this procedure. He recovered perfectly fine and never blocked again.

I used Methigel with my cat that had alkaline urine and frequent cystitis. Is this what you ordered?

The cause of my cat’s cystitis was stress. He was one of those cats that just had to go outside, but I like for my cats to be in at night for their safety. He was so miserable inside that I decided I would have to let him out at night or he wouldn’t have any quality of life at all. Letting him out at night cured his cystitis and he died an old man.

Swap to a different veterinary diet that acidifies urine. I believe royal canin is better than purina. The problem with the methionine is it can overly acidify the urine so the dosage has to be exact. If you use the methionine in addition to the diet, then you probably need 1/4th or 1/8th a dose.

Methionine does work, but the dose needs to be exact. Also you should monitor the urine ph with ph strips. You can do this at home if you can catch a urine sample when the kitty uses the litter box. You only need a drop of urine or two. You can over acidify the urine if you aren’t careful so please test the urine and start at the lowest dose possible! I think the 200 mg tablets are better than the larger dose.

We’re on Cosequin and Prozac daily. Fortunately my FIC cat is female, so I don’t worry myself sick, but the other half doesn’t tolerate flares well so I do my best to prevent them at all costs. Cosequin and Prozac consistently keep her comfortable, so that’s what we do.

She’s an indoor cat and I wonder if some outside time would do her well, but she’s chunky and not real smart - I worry about her survival skills.

I don’t think he’s particularly stressed? But cannot rule it out. Just started him on transdermal prozac. He is not on cosequin, and we’re trying to make sure everything else is done to avoid surgery…

I have considered that and wouldn’t mind doing it at all! I’ll ask the vet.

1 Like

No - I ordered this: https://www.chewy.com/k-plus-potassium-citrate-plus/dp/112517 Do you think methigel’s active ingredient is better?

Can’t have outdoor cats here - we have active populations of coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions and he is a little too confident out there…!

We tried Royal Canin and he wouldn’t eat it :frowning:

Hopefully Prozac makes a difference! Cosequin is cheap and easy and won’t hurt. Might help. Worth a shot for sure.

1 Like