Unlimited access >

Cataract surgery, what’s your story?

One surgery done and WOW,

The ‘new eye’ sees in glorious sharp Technicolor, the vision hasn’t totally settled, but is getting sharper.

I don’t think I am going to get bored of holding my had over one eye, then the other and comparing results.

Old eye, is so short sighted, and the world Is yellow, yuk. New eye, so bright so white, it’s a whole new world!

10 Likes

:):):):):):):slight_smile:

Good news!

@KBC did you go with monofocial or multifocal lenses?

Makes me want to get the surgery but not sure my opthamologist is completely on board yet that my cataracts are quite bad enough :lol:

Glad to hear that things are “looking good” KBC!

Monofocal, because it was free, maybe not the best choice, but what can you do!

I didn’t realize how bad mine were, until I see what the world looks like without

2 Likes

@KBC thanks… I’ve worn glasses, with a brief stint in contacts, since I was 8 and not needing glasses 24x7 sounds nice :slight_smile:

But, I’ll wait until I get there and then talk to surgeon. My ophthalmologist said they have a good multi-focal cataract surgeon in their practice. I was encouraged that my ophthalmologist didn’t immediately jump up and down and volunteer to do the surgery himself :slight_smile:

This reminds me of a funny story from work. We had an older female customer who, after having her cataracts removed, told us that she had always thought we were terrible at doing laundry, as our white uniforms always looked dirty. 🤣🤣🤣

6 Likes

My father had both of his eyes done last week. Wow, were his words exactly! The VA clinic did one eye one day, check-up of that eye the next day, the other eye the third day, and check-up of that eye on the fourth day. My parents live an hour and a half from the VA clinic and spent the whole week driving back and forth. Yesterday he went back for a check-up of both eyes. Dad has one eye that has some sort of condition that causes blurriness. He said the improvement in the vision of his good eye was amazing and that the blurry eye was slow to have the same response. There is hope that it too will improve close to the level that his good eye has. Now, Dad has to get new eyeglasses for his new eyes.

Mom had her eyes done a few years ago and not at the VA clinic. Her’s were done on a schedule similar to yours.

1 Like

This thread is so encouraging! I’ll be doing cataract surgery some time in the next few years when my Dr. says my cataracts have “ripened” enough. Night vision has gotten much worse, to the point I can’t read street signs unless they are big and/or illuminated. Fortunately, DH has eagle eyes, so he reads street signs for me!

Congrats, KBC, on your new eyes!

1 Like

I think the most interesting part about this journey is realizing how amazing we are,without realizing it.

Everyday, since I was a small girl, I’ve had to put my glasses on to see, my brain was used to that, it also adapted to failing sight over the years.

Last week it suddenly had to adjust to one eye giving a bright, sharp image, at distance, but blurred close up, but still managed to combine the signals to make one image. Then there was the whole conundrum of glasses on, glasses off, until we popped the lense out on the operated side, the whole time the brain has been adjusting…

2 Likes

I had one eye done at 45 and the other one done at 46. No problems at all! They were shocked it was cataracts and had me tested for diabetes which I did not have. I have hazel eyes and work outside so it could be I didn’t wear proper sunglasses but I am very light sensitive so doubted that. The other thing was possibly my allergy nasal spray.
Either way it is so n ice to not have to wear glasses after 40 years! I am now 60 and just need readers.

2 Likes

Second eye was done last Thursday, and wasn’t quite the cake walk that the first was, not hard, but I did have some post op pain.

The downer of the second eye is now you have nothing to compare to, the first one gives you such an obvious upgrade, but second time around you don’t get that so much. I also was not prepared, although I was aware of the problems of needing reading glasses. For decades I have worn glasses all day, only, in recent years taking them off to read, as my near vision seemed to keep changing. Now I can see for miles, cannot see my phone so well!

BUT…the joy of not wearing glasses, of bringing my horse in from the cold of the Arctic blast, into a heated barn, and being able to see, while spectacle wearing mate is trying to defrost and dry out hers to see. I took supper out of the oven, and could still see. I wear sunglasses out and about, and am so looking forward to working hard enough in a lesson to sweat, AND STILL SEE.

Still figuring out if I need to have a reading glass pouch attached to my saddle, so if I want to check the order of go, or do a last minute read of my dressage test, I can do so…

4 Likes

Spam reported.

2 Likes

Thanks spammer for boosting…

Latest update, feel bad for being a touch disappointed. A month has gone by, and I should be having eye tests to see if I need glasses, answer is going to be yes, and I can’t help being a bit disappointed. They will not be high power, but I am going to need them.

still enjoying the freedom of not HAVING to wear glasses though, fir many parts of life I am fine. Reading, watching TV etc, I need some help. Only all optometrists are closed down for now, so I have to manage until life opens up,again.

This thread is really helpful. I need to have the surgery done soon. I can’t decide if I want premium or mono lens.

For those who had premium lens implant, do you need glasses to drive at night? do you see halo when driving at night?

For those who had mono lens implant, can you read computer screen without glasses?

There are several types of premium lens. The premium lenses I have correct for astigmatism but I still need reading glasses for close work such as reading a book or working at the computer. I can see the instruments on my car’s dash just fine. Before my cataract surgery my vision was so bad from astigmatism that glasses couldn’t completely correct it. For me the price of the premium lenses was worth it. My surgeries were 8 years ago and I’ve never had even a moment of regret.

My friend had both done last year and she had something else done at the same time (I don’t remember what it was called, sorry) but now has 20/10 vision for everything but reading.

So jealous… :joy:

Mine aren’t nearly bad enough to have it done yet. I am somewhat looking forward to it! I’m blind as a bat without my glasses.

I didn’t even notice this was three years old.

@KBC how did your surgery go? :joy:

It went great, so lucky to have sneaked the second one in just days before all optional surgery was cancelled because of Covid.

It has been a total turn around, all my life I had to put my glasses on as soon as I got up, but as I got older took them off to read. Now I get up and live my life with no glasses, but have to find them to read.

It’s great being able to work up a sweat while riding, open an oven door, or come indoors from frigid Arctic air without having to worry about fogging up!

Funniest one though I was sharing the indoor with some friends and one asked me to read a dressage test for her…”sure”

“Oops, nope”

Now I have to have to make sure I have a pair of readers handy on days that I’m likely to be asked to read.

1 Like

I know 6 people personally who’ve had cataract surgery within the last 5-6 yrs. All had uneventful procedures who said it was the easiest recovery, etc.

Except…my vet who had about 10 days of blurry vision in 1 eye. It resolved and he’s fine, but he was a bit nervous since his other eye (1st surgery) was instantly A-ok. And now my trainer is having serious complications in her 2nd eye. First eye surgery went fine, but she has had to have 2 more procedures within 2 weeks of the first - in the 2nd eye. I don’t know the details, but she is very worried and hasn’t been able to work for the last 3 weeks. I know complications are rare, but it does happen.

1 Like

I had mine done in January 2021, two weeks between eyes. It went great. I was extremely nearsighted and had significant astigmatism. I went with a monofocal lens, and the opthalmologist corrected my astigmatism by small cuts. I can see distance, see well at night, and can read most print and screens without reading glasses. If the light isn’t great or the print extremely small, then I use readers with a bit of magnification. This is assuming I have reading glasses with me. I tend to forget them since I so seldom need them.

I had no pain, and everything healed well.

Rebecca

3 Likes