Unlimited access >

Cause of sensitive hindquarters

We’re shortly going to the clinic to do a performance work up, due to a little niggle that started in mid Jan and shows up occasionally in an inconsistent head bob. That’s the obvious thing that I want the vet to look at, but on thinking about the whole picture I think there might be other (linked?) things going on. So I’m looking for suggestions from COTH.

My big mare has always been oddly sensitive on her hindquarters – if I gently run my thumbnail along her body she’s unreactive from the neck back the loins, but after the point of the hip she will twitch/flinch, particularly down her hamstrings. Sometimes she reacts more than others. She’s ok to brush and loves being scratched around her dock area.

Overall she’s quite a sensitive type and can be inconsistent – she’ll be quite chill one day then reactive the next - both at home and also when out for trail riding, lessons or shows. There’s no pattern that I’ve been able to find. She’s struggled a bit with a good swinging walk and strength in the canter, wants to go up-and-down vs softly forward. Over the last two years she has mellowed out a lot (she was well schooled but green about life things like hacking), her walk and canter have improved (a fair few dressage lessons have been had).

Background -
She lives out 24/7, gets a small feed with a vitamin & mineral mix, free choice hay. She’s a big warmblood, 9 years old. I’ve had her 2yrs and she’s always been like this physically. She passed a thorough PPE including back xrays then. Saddle fitting done by a reputable fitter. I switched farriers 2 cycles ago as the previous one was letting her feet, in particular fronts, get very long. New farrier has worked from front feet xrays done in Feb (I stupidly didn’t get hinds done at the same time). I think she was less twitchy when I had her on a feed with high Vit E – but she was getting fat on the recommended amount so I changed to the vit & min mix that isn’t as high. Different body workers over the years haven’t found anything in particular when I’ve mentioned it - just that she has tight hamstrings.

Thanks if you’ve read this far!

Easy enough to just get a Vit E supplement to add to what you already feed, especially since that seemed to make a difference. They really aren’t that bad. I get Spring Valley (extra strength for people 60 gel pills) the natural E-- at Wal Mart for $8.00.

1 Like

I would check out the Mastersons method and start working that daily.