Unlimited access >

Cavallo Tall Boots

I purchased a pair of tall boots a few years ago…they were a custom order for someone else but they didn’t want them so I got them at a steal. I have taken them to a boot fitter who said they fit me well and they just need to be broken in (easier said than done). I have walked in them some, but the real issue is when I have ridden in them. I can’t move my ankle…at all. Put my heels down? Not gonna happen. They also seem to shove down a bit and eventually if I don’t adjust my feet are no longer in the footbed but rubbing the top of the boot. It seems that my knee movement pushes them down.

I should probably mention I usually train in paddock boots and half-chaps so I’m used to having a liberal ankle and well fitting calf-ankle.

Does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to breaking in tall boots…also I have a smaller ankle and the boot at the ankle seems so wide. I was told this is because they are pull-ons and that is normal but I don’t know…

I assume what you have is dressage boots? They are not meant to have deep heels like hunter/jumpers do. What you aim for is level foot, maybe a hair lower at heel. Wide ankle is expected for pull on boots. You feet kind of bounce around inside your boots for sitting trot.

I used heel lifts for the first few weeks I broke in my boots. They helped immensely. But sounds like your having typical half chap-tall boot weirdness. Its just a totally different feeling.

Boots

[QUOTE=Gloria;7810311]
I assume what you have is dressage boots? They are not meant to have deep heels like hunter/jumpers do. What you aim for is level foot, maybe a hair lower at heel. Wide ankle is expected for pull on boots. You feet kind of bounce around inside your boots for sitting trot.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are dressage boots…thank you for your input! I hope I get used to them.

[QUOTE=KLCarp;7810319]
I used heel lifts for the first few weeks I broke in my boots. They helped immensely. But sounds like your having typical half chap-tall boot weirdness. Its just a totally different feeling.[/QUOTE]

I put some heel lift wedgy things in my boots to take up some room (they’re a a hair too big for me) and help break mine in too. Waaay more comfy! But… It doesn’t feel like I can jam my heels down like I normally could. Is this because I have the inserts?

You’re not supposed to jam your heels down. Read what Gloria said above.

[QUOTE=SillyHorse;7811401]
You’re not supposed to jam your heels down. Read what Gloria said above.[/QUOTE]

Eeep >_< sorry about that, I should have been more clear lol like for hunter and eq riders and field boots. I noticed my feet sit quite nicely and level when I do ride dressage in those boots.