CBD for anxiety

Wondering if anyone on here uses CBD for anxiety?

I have had long term GAD/Panic disorder. I was first diagnosed 20+ years ago. It runs in my family, as my mother was diagnosed in the early 80’s and my cousin was also diagnosed.

I have been on an SSRI for many years. First, Celexa for 8 years or so, then switched to Lexapro for the last 15 years.

The last few years have been tough, with some major losses and physical issues associated with aging. My anxiety has gotten a little worse. My psychiatrist added Buspar, which has helped.

My question is, does anyone use CBD for anxiety? I am planning to ask my psychiatrist their thoughts in my next appointment. I did take a CBD gummy (Just CBD, no THC) on the advice of a friend, and it was amazing. I felt really calm and even cheerful. I was planning to try using the CBD for stressful events only, but I was wondering if you can actually take them daily?

I have also been sober for 16 years. I don’t drink alcohol, smoke, or use any mind or mood altering drugs. I only take what I am prescribed (no opioids, no benzos) and I never take more than prescribed. I do drink 1 cup of coffee per day (caffeine). No soda, no tea, no energy drinks. I am planning to cut down to 1 half-caff per day.

If anyone has any experience they can share, that would be great!

My daughter uses CBD for her anxious dog. I can really see the difference when the dog has had it. I don’t know how well that translates to humans, sorry.

Rebecca

1 Like

I’ve taken it for 4 years now and really noticed positive effects. I buy R&R brand because it’s organic and made that change after listening to a presentation by Dr. Joyce Harman, DVM that the hemp plant draws
more of whatever is in the soil so important to only use organic.

I take it during the day at work if I feel overwhelmed or stressed and also at home. Then always take a second dose one hour before bed and still sleep mostly like a rock and I’m now 61. If I forget I really notice because I wake up in the middle of the night and my mind starts racing with what all I need to get done. Some of that is normal right? Working FT, owning a 26 acre farm, two horses, getting a mustang started that has had mutiple issues, family demands, etc etc etc.

Thank you CBD oil - you keep me sane…er. :grinning:

2 Likes

I will add my first experience with taking CBD was going to an official dispensary in Columbus Ohio and they asked what was I was feeling. We were about to start a huge barn build and my husband expects
that you know what you want and relay that to the contractor. I had no experience and was trying to do this in my free time. So I told them I needed calm and focus.

They had me sample a brand and I asked what I would feel. They said it was different for everyone but I might feel something come over me that was calming. I’ll never forget after I left and driving on the freeway all of a sudden I thought, "I think this is it. Just a peaceful, easy feeling and like, “You got this girl.”

I got that damn barn built and it’s amazing and of course having a farm and horses home now means every week is one thing after another. But thanks to CBD, I’m one foot in front of the other and yes, the occasional primal scream. :grinning:

It’s the wild west out there so you need a brand that is legit and tested. Just fyi for anyone out there considering.

4 Likes

[quote=“PaddockWood, post:4, topic:794443, full:true”]It’s the wild west out there so you need a brand that is legit and tested. Just fyi for anyone out there considering.
[/quote]

How do you determine what’s legit and what is appropriate testing? I tried a little searching and it’s overwhelming!

I looked at the R&R brand posted above, but the gummies also contain St. John’s wort, and both the gummies and the tincture contain traces of THC, so I’m leery of those.

I’m afraid if I got to a CBD shop (we’re in a non-marijuana state, so no regulation dispensaries. We do have CBD shops that I assume sell it as a “dietary supplement”.) and ask, I’ll just get the hard sell on whatever their preferred brand is. That doesn’t leave me any better off in really knowing how to evaluate it.

Yes, that’s why I went to an official dispensary because everything they sell is tested. I ordered from them and then started ordering online versus going to them.

I know R&R is tested and legit so you could call them about the THC concern.
The Broad Spectrum does not have THC:

And you could call them with your concerns and get your questions answered.

I applaud your efforts to stay away from mind altering substances to control anxiety. I also use lexapro and buspar. I tried cbd a few years ago but did not find it effective at all. I have found meditation (and prayer) immensely helpful though. I have used an app called Aura that I really like. My faith has probably helped the most so if that is something that you are open to it provides more peace of mind than anything honestly.

4 Likes

I have found a lot of success using CBD and Kava for my anxiety. Not all Kava or CBD for that matter, are created equal. The quality, type, manufacturing process, how its stored, etc all play a role in how effective the product is. I also try to use these products as needed but that ends up being most days. I take the CBD at night and the Kava during the day. I have found that if i take them both everyday of the week they will start to lose their effect. I think that has to do with the cannabinoid receptors and neurotransmitters becoming saturated. I have found that if i can take one or two days off per week, the other 5 to 6 days per week, i feel really good. In case you are curious, here are the two products I use, I’ve tried many over the years and these seem to be the best. CBD Oil and Kava Oil

This is the brand I used that my DH researched and found to be one of the better brands out there:

I take one daily (for the past 4 yrs) to help me organize my thoughts and work. It helps take the edge off. I do not take a full dose. Only half. Everybody is different.

Their other products are really great too. DH loves their balm for sore muscles and will reach for their product before an OTC or doc Rx.

1 Like

I see OP is sober and doesn’t have interest in anything past CBD which I completely respect.

I do want to chime in for anyone also dealing with anxiety thinking and are open to medical/rec marijuana. I got my medical card last year in hopes to find some relief with my chronic conditions, I never did it when I was younger so very uncharted territory for me. I always knew I bordered on anxious, and if stressed it would come out more. Micro-dosing edibles has helped SO much with anxiety/stress. I think I underestimated how much anxiety was playing a role in my life. I feel like I am living more in the moment now than I ever have been able to do and can leave external stressors at the door. It’s also basically mitigated my lifetime of chronic fatigue. Truly life changing for me. I did try CBD on its own, and unfortunately didn’t notice much for help with pain or anxiety.

5 Likes

I take medicinal cannabis for my anxiety. It helps manage the symptoms. It doesn’t cure it, but at least I’m calmer and can work and do everyday activities without much trouble.
Releaf, the clinic where I’m subscribed, says on their site that after 4 weeks, significant improvements in anxiety were reported by patients. That’s about it, I can vouch for this.

2 Likes

I take magnesium gummies, and they seem to help.

1 Like