Unlimited access >

Celebrating Cactuskate: I'd like to propose a group ad in COTH

As posted on the thread announcing Kathy’s death, I’d like to propose that we take out a group ad in the COTH and memorialize Kathy’s sheer bravado and spirit.

I can’t think of anything more perfect for the ad than the picture of Kathy “RocketMan” Havens atop Bud with her backpack of oxygen.

The ad rates, according to the online mag, are, for 2 colour:

Full page - $1342
2/3 page - $1055
1/2 page - $862

There will likely be production costs unless someone is able to produce camera-ready artwork - in which case there is a 15% discount off the base-rate.

I am more than happy to organize this effort and contribute towards the cost of the ad. If someone is able to get in touch with Kathy’s husband to ensure that he has no objections and if others are able to produce camera-ready artwork, that too would be wonderful, please either post here or email me.

She was such an inspiration to so many of us, it seems only fitting that we celebrate her courage and joy for life in the pages of COTH.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
Lisamarie - that’d be fabulous. If he’s feeling especially inspired, perhaps he can create a headline and copy for the ad, too – though I know there are several people on the BB who work in the industry and may well have some ideas for headline and copy also.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would SO love to be able to do that for her and her family. Copy can come from wherever her husband wants it to come from. If he’s not up to it I’m sure the board can decide on something. We’ll lay it out, do the insertion order and be sure to get it to the publication. I actually recieve COTH’s rate card every quarter

– Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

I’m all for the 1/2 page color ad. you’re right about the need for color here and that will still leave a decent donation I would think.

Have you gotten any word from the family as to whether it’s OK with them? I may have missed it, so forgive me if that’s the case.

Yes, I’m with ya’, sister!

LaurieB, email Erin at COTH and she’ll email her home address.

We should probably wait to see how much money is donated before making a final decision on the size of the ad - it may be that we can do both the full-colour ad and make a donation to a charity.

For those who’ve expressed regret that they can’t contribute much financially, please don’t. That you’re willing to contribute whatever you can to memorialize Kathy is a wonderful, wonderful testament to each and every one of you. And think of it this way, if 200 people contribute $10 each, we have more than enough for the ad and a charitable donation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peggy:
On the photo resolution thing, I think that you need something like 150 dpi for a printer and 300-600 for a service bureau. Not sure where COTH print ads fit into this scheme.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You’re right Peggy. Idealy I’d take a high res scan of the pic, but I’m HOPING we wont need that. I’m sure that pic isn’t 600 dpi or even close, but maybe we can work some magic I’m going to send this info to Billy today and see what he can do. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I’ve got the negotiating thing down. I’ll drop a line to the rep. I’m SURE if we mention tastefully in the ad that COTH helped make this possible we can work out something. I also don’t think that anything less than FP, 4/c will do

Heidi, I’m sorry i didn’t get to send you and e-mail today. Work was INSANE! After i eat some of my pasta salad that i’ve spent the past 2 hours making, i’ll drop you a line too

I’m so glad we can do this for CactusKate, her family and her memory.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on Apr. 17, 2002 at 09:01 PM.]

count me in

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
Before you contact COTH, email me first and I’ll forward the email correspondence between myself and their ad rep, Belinda - don’t want to be stepping on any toes here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotchya! I’ll do that right now before the rest of my work day sneaks up and b*tch-slaps me like it does every other day

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:BTW, what kind of pasta salad takes two hours to make? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The kind that you almost cut your finger of in the making Lots of fresh veggies to chop, lots of chicken to pound thin, slice and grill, lots of blood to lose I assure you

and moi…

Bumping up.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group

Me too. I didn’t know her like many of you did, but her bravery and sense of humor is an inspiration to me. What a wonderful way to honor her memory and celebrate her spirit!!

Sully’s Brag Page

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” - Will Rogers

I would like to contribute as well…will be awaiting further details.

I would like to add as well that Art Director/Graphic Designer extrondinaire Mr. Jrmasm would be happy to donate his services as well if needed.

As Miss Maam says “Mommy isn’t always a pain in the a**”

Another “count me in and let me know where to send the check”.

The Panchen Lama of DQs! (Second only to Velvet, the undisputed Dalai Lama of DQs.)

Coreene, good point. I’m going to email their ad rep. and see whether a ‘discount’ can be negotiated. Full page 2 colour, BTW, on a 52x rate would be $979.

I’m in.

I was thinking the same thing about the rate …you would be SUCH a love to work with as a rep…wish you were one of mine. My Philly TV reps just manhandled me with make goods

Anyhoo, I spoke to Billy about it this morning and he’s in. I tried to send him this way to read everything but he was having some problems getting on the site. Anyhoo, he said he’d gladly devote whatever time neccessary (cause he’s nice like that)

Erin I just e-mailed you and heidi I’m about to send one off to you too.

That would be wonderful.

If you do get the info. Erin, do you want to contact her husband/family to get their permission for the memorial ad and use of the picture? If that’s the case, I’ll either post and/or email lisamarie with the go-ahead.

BTW, lisamarie, I don’t want to burden her husband/family with trying to dig up the original photo - if we use the photo that Kathy posted of herself directly from the BB, will we lose a lot in resolution?

I called her brother today (who lives here in town) and told him that I was very sorry, and told him of the tribute here. I just received a call from his wife, and will call her back and give her this address. I just wanted them to know what a special person she was to this bb and how many lives she touched.

Aimee

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Add me to the list also.