Celiac Diagnosis and Handling Feed

I am three weeks post celiac disease diagnosis, and the learning curve has been steep. We’re talking separate toasters, cooking utensils, not to mention separate diets. Just today I realized that all the feed pellets I handle daily, wiping the dust on my pants, contain things like “wheat middlings.”

Anyone else here with celiac? Worried about breathing dust, etc?

I’m getting a handle on it, and I’m thankful to have a disease that is controllable, but still…pizza…

Good news, there are more and more gluten free products. Yes, even pizza!
I have two friends with Celiac. Both have horses and handling feed of all types has never been a problem for them.
Good luck!

If you do keep handling them, wear gloves. I wear deerskin gloves for all my barn chores, and it saves my hands a lot of wear and tear, as well as keeps my from wiping them all over my barn clothes.

Second, I’m not sure what you feed your horse and why, but it would be fairly straightforward to change to a horse feed that doesn’t contain wheat middlings. The horse feeds I use don’t contain them.

If you’re feeding say poultry, it’s possible to get wheat-free poultry feeds, and if you’re sensitive and eating the eggs, that might be worth doing anyway.

Most other species can similarly be fed on a diet without wheat fairly easily, either using alfalfa or something like Corn/Oats/Barley if you need a supplemental feed.

Thanks. I’m making and packing all my own food now and bringing it to the barn when I plan to be there for very long. Just need to be careful that no gluten molecules enter the digestive system. I guess it’s all supposed to get easier with time.

I have been a Celiac for years and you get used to it. You will feel better in a few months and it is an enormous learning curve.

When it comes to handling feed you can wear rubber gloves and dust mask if you are worried. I wear dust mask because of terrible allergies and I like to breathe.

The hardest part about dealing with Celiacs is that it is hard to eat out. I eat a lot of salad when I go out. Also refrain from eating what people make even if they say it is gluten free.

I make a kick ass pizza that has a crust made out of eggs, cream cheese, parmesan, and seasonings. You can’t pick it up like a slice of pizza, but it is quite good, and not like people say cauliflower crust pizza is good (yuck!)…lol.

[QUOTE=RacetrackReject;8114039]
I make a kick ass pizza that has a crust made out of eggs, cream cheese, parmesan, and seasonings. You can’t pick it up like a slice of pizza, but it is quite good, and not like people say cauliflower crust pizza is good (yuck!)…lol.[/QUOTE]

Recipe please!

I have celiac too and yes it is overall a general pita. Very hard to go out to eat or at others homes.
There are different types of celiac though. Some are more sensitive to wheat, others, like me are more sensitive to barley.
I dont have any problem with the feed, but I dont feed anything with wheat middlings in it although i will have to look and see if it’s got barley.

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. At that time, seriously ill, malnourished, and way too sick to ride. It took about 2-3 years to feel better, even though I was on a super restrictive diet. So - be careful, and don’t get discouraged. It will get better. Always keep something you can eat with you (especially to, at, and from shows - horse show food is generally a big no!) I haven’t worried about handling grains in the barn, but do wash my hands a lot! Be sure to check cosmetic ingredients!

[QUOTE=Lilykoi;8112422]
Good news, there are more and more gluten free products. Yes, even pizza!
I have two friends with Celiac. Both have horses and handling feed of all types has never been a problem for them.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Gluten free pizza in the grocery freezer section now. Domata or Bloomfield makes a gluten free pizza crust mix. It’s pretty good.

Good to hear from everyone. I have a brand new TB from New Vocations, and he needs to put on a few pounds, so I’m using some pelleted feeds, Enrich Plus and Amplify. I’m looking into Ultium, which is very beet pulp-based and may have less wheat. At least they are not too dusty compared to the Progressive pellet he came with (feeds, a whole 'nother issue, ha, ha) and which I was ignorantly breathing and wiping all over my clothes.