Unlimited access >

Celiac & Horse Showing

Hi everyone,

I am 6 months post diagnosis, and I’m feeling fantastic. I just got my numbers back and things are finally healing. However, this is going to be my first year showing with celiac and my go to meals for during the week are left overs, but they often require to be warmed up.

Previously, I would meal prep a big batch of pasta salad (which in hindsight, wasn’t the best meal for me haha).

That being said, what do you make for week long horse shows? What are you go-tos for eating at shows. I always bring a cooler with me, so that’s no issue, but want something that’s great for meal prepping or can last a few meals. I have made wraps recently, and I think I haven’t found the right wraps, but I wasn’t overly impressed.

I am in Canada, so would love some Canadian recommendations :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I have celiac as well, but have only done some on site schooling shows recently. I was thinking of taking backpacking meals and a kettle or camp stove as well as protein bars and chips. Following for better ideas though.

Having these or something similar for snacking is a good start.

I’ve had celiac for years. I have to bring food with me everywhere I go. When traveling, if all else fails I make a bunch of almond butter/jelly sandwiches. Also, hard boiled eggs are a protein filled snack. There are so many gluten free snacks now that its easy to find things to have on hand, plus fruit and veggies…

Had Celiac for years too
My show go to
Small sized hummus containers
Small sized guacamole containers
If you have an aldis they have in the fridge section
The small containers of amazing bean salad
One is iItalian the other southwest
Hard boil eggs
I have a recipe for bars that a Mom brings and they are amazing and Gluten Free !

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
1/2 to 3/4 cup peanut or almond butter (depending on taste)
1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
1/3 cup chia seed
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (if want crunchy)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form in square dish and put in freezer until set, about 1 hour.
Enjoy!

These sound awesome but sadly I also can’t eat oats :cry:

Are you able to microwave?

SO and I do a lot of recipes in the Instant Pot that last us through the work week; or the better part of it. Chili/Dal/Curries, stuff like that. Depending on the recipe, we will also prep tofu and/or rice which all hold up well that many days.

Im curious to see others responses. We both had testing done last fall and I have lot of anxiety over traveling and eating since. We’ve landed on getting a good cooler and meal prepping before we leave for any road trips. Were also plant based so finding vegan/GF is an extra PITA.

Oh no why can’t you eats oats ? Mine are gluten free

I’m one of the small percentage of celiac folks who are also sensitive to oat gluten

I also have celiac and occasionally need to travel for work or shows. When I do not have to fly, I pack a cooler of snacks similar to what has been mentioned here. Depending on the number of days I am gone, I will stop and replenish my ice in my cooler. I will also add in a few of my faves below for food that travels well.

Yogurt (I prefer low fat plain greek yogurt)

nuts

Cheese slices. I will wrap a slice of salami around a slice of cheddar for quick protein and fat.

apples, oranges, bananas and grapes all travel well

carrots, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green beans, zucchini sticks and cucumber slices will travel well. I pair those with hummus, tzatziki or any other higher protein dip.

I also make protein balls with a combo of nut butter, honey, dried fruits, whey protein isolate and GF oats.

Homemade pizza. I make a GF yeast dough for crusts, then I make up my own pizza, cool, cut, and I eat it cold. This is a pretty substantial travel meal for me.

GF tempeh. I slice it, lightly pan fry in olive oil with a bit of salt or tamari. Then toss it in a container and eat it cold. It will go with any sauce from honey to tzatziki.

Popcorn. I pop mine at home, but you can purchase store bought.

GF oreos (Because I need a cookie or four)

Things that don’t travel well in my opinion: berries (get mushy), mango pieces, delicate chips, softer lunch meats that break apart easily, frozen foods, soft cheeses or cheese spreads, candy that melts.

A couple of extras to consider packing: disposable plates, bowls, plastic ware for yourself to always ensure yours don’t get cross contaminated. A kitchen knife and kitchen towel from home in case you need to slice anything.

One other note: you mention oats containing gluten, but oats do not contain gluten. Oats are however often harvested using the same equipment that harvests wheat, barley or rye. That’s where oats can get cross contaminated with gluten. Buying GF oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill) should be safe for you. I eat a lot of overnight oats and have never had a problem as long as I only buy oats labeled GF.

1 Like

I pulled this (below) off a celiac site, I did misspeak its not oat “gluten” but oat “avenin” that can cause a similar reaction in some celiac patients. And I am by no means an expert on celiac, but I do work closely with a doctor who was the one that pulled me off oats (even certified GF oats) due to this issue being present in a small number of his patients. In fairly short order I was notably less sick.

Celiac Disease (CD), a genetic condition affecting 1% of the population, is somewhat unique among autoimmune conditions in that it has an effective treatment in the gluten-free diet. However, the diet can be difficult to follow; a significant proportion of CD patients do not respond to the diet with the expected intestinal healing, typically due to accidental exposure to gluten. Gluten-free labeling has finally been standardized in the U.S., but there are still other issues plaguing CD patients trying to stay healthy. One controversy is the inclusion of oats. Oats are a great source of nutrients that are often lacking in the gluten-free diet, such as iron and fiber, however, several studies have shown the in vitro possibility of cross-reactivity: the avenin (a protein similar in function to gluten) in oats activating gluten-reactive T cells. There have also been case reports of patients relapsing due to ingesting uncontaminated oats. On the other side, there are also studies that found there is little risk for patients to show histologically visible intestinal damage after being challenged with pure oats.

2 Likes

Fantastic information, thanks! I wasn’t aware of the issue of avenin in oats causing problems for some celiac folks. I know I don’t react to it and when I get my follow up biopsies, there’s no evidence of disease. But then celiac presents so differently for some many people. I’m glad you found what works for you, and thanks again for the good info on oats. I’ll have to read up on that.

1 Like

If you would like to warm stuff up check out hot logic! They have a 12v version

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I definitely will be using some of these in my week long horse shows. It’s nice seeing others who are equestrians and have celiac. I’ve been a bit lonesome during my diagnosis as I do not know many people with it.

I don’t have access to a microwave, just a big cooler to pack things in. My go to this weekend was;

Friday:

• Left overs from dinners
  • GF Granola Bar
  • Banana
  • Spinach salad with veggies and dressing

Saturday:

• GF Granola bar
  • Two hard boiled eggs
  • GF rice crackers with hummus
  • Fruit2Go bar or whatever they were called
  • Spinach salad again with veggies

Sunday:

• Granola bar and Fruit2Go bites

Sunday was light because it was the last day lol.

Honestly it was just so nice to attend a horse show for the first time and not have stomach issues. I didn’t spend half the show in the washroom (which I didn’t even realize I was doing until this weekend!). Keep the recipe ideas coming, and I’ll update mine as I attend shows this summer :slight_smile:

1 Like