Unlimited access >

Ceramic lining in horse blankets

I have been considering one more winter blanket for my horse. Has anybody used ceramic lining on there horse?

Ceramic lining as in something similar to Back on Track? If so, yes. I have a TB who loves his BOT sheet under his turnout blanket as a baselayer in the winter. There’s a noticeable difference in his suppleness and the length of time needed for warmup when he’s had it on vs. when he hasn’t.

I also got a SmartTherapy ceramic blanket liner (100g fill) this fall. I’ve only used it a couple of times so far but he seems to like it and it seems to work similarly to the BOT.

1 Like

Do you think the ceramic blankets generate any additional heat?. I need around 100 polygram of warmth but the Weatherbeeta therapy tech comes in 50 polygram lite plus. I was thinking of trying this then possibly upgrading to a therapy medium if we have an awful winter. I already have a lovely medium turnout it’s not cold enough yet.

I do think they help. I put his BOT mesh sheet under a regular no fill turnout sheet and it keeps him about as warm as his 100g regular sheet does. The 100g SmartTherapy liner seems to run closer to a mid for him, because you get the added warmth of the fill and the ceramic material holding heat too.

I have two non BOT blankets, a fleece sheet and a blanket liner. My retired guy loves them both. He did not like the BOT mesh sheet or hock boots but he is fine with the BOT standing wraps.

I have noticed him just being happier in his body with the ceramic infused blankets.

1 Like

I have a few BOT braces that I use on myself. I don’t find that they generate any more heat than a regular fabric of comparable thickness. I do notice that the few times I’ve tried to wear them overnight, I get a lot of swelling in the area of the brace so that is an indication of how much they really do increase blood circulation. I don’t have the same problem if I wear a non ceramic brace to bed. So it may not be a good idea to have a ceramic blanket on a horse while it is stalled overnight? I just put the BOT blanket on my guy for a few hours and I think the instructions say not to exceed 8 hours.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. The last few days My horse is currently wearing weatherbeeta ultra cozi without the detachable neck https://www.weatherbeeta.com/weatherbeeta-comfitec-ultra-cozi-ii-detach-a-neck-medium I bought this blanket last spring and it is well made Although the the neck is a bit long. Our weather has been mostly wet but not overly cold his 220 gram seems a bit heavy as he is not clipped. I think a 100 gram would be ideal although I am intrigued by the therapy tech blankets. https://botcanada.com/product/brianna-turnout-rug-50g/ I wish it was 100 grams.

I think I’d get a BOT stable rug and put a regular sheet on top over buying a BOT turnout. Just seems more practical for wearing more often and in various conditions, as well as to keep it clean!

2 Likes

Not to hijack, but as an aside, does anyone have any luck with getting BOT products to NOT shock the dickens out of the horse and you when taking them off? Trying rubbing fabric softener sheets on the horse before putting it on, but other ideas welcome!

Maybe try some Static Guard spray?

Do people leave the BOT sheets on all day and overnight? Or just a few hours at a time?

If it’s sheet weather I leave it on. Sometimes that’s all day, sometimes that’s all night. I haven’t had any problems with it being on (other than it not being an ideal fit, so it’s not on for multiple days in a row).

1 Like

In my experience, anything fleece on either horse or human will make a spark in the winter. Spraying Static Guard helps - but I dont wear fleece if I am blanketing, and I leave one hand on the horse as I pull the sheet off, and that seems to help.

2 Likes

Great, thanks! Will try the hands-on trick. The dryer sheets do seem to be helping a bit.