Cervical artificial disc replacement... now I wait

In late August I had my c56 disc replaced with an artificial disc and I’ve been doing pretty well since surgery. 95% of the nerve pain in my right hand is gone and probably 75% in my left hand. I don’t really have any neck or shoulder pain except just some muscle spasms and small soreness from swiveling my head around too much.

My trainer was still in town when I first had surgery so I got to watch horses go for the first three or four weeks but then my surgeon said to stop watching horses go around the ring so I moved further back. Ha ha that way I didn’t have to move my head.

My surgeon told me I could get back to riding in two to three months and I was really hoping it was going to be two months but I think it’s probably three months to be safe. Have my eye on a new horse to buy since that’s what you do when you can’t ride. LOL

Trying to be patient but I am bored out of my mind even watching all the hunter rounds at capital challenge. Just thought I’d see if anyone else was recovering from injury and bored out of their minds too??

I had a Prestige cervical disk implanted in 2010. I resumed normal activities without restriction within two weeks. A few months of aches & pain when holding a head position too long … eg computer screen. Normal now.

I am way past you, 6 months, and still bored…I developed some pain between my shoulder blades after a lumbar fusion in March…I have ridden at 4 months, but my PT has kept me on a short leash until we resolve the problem. I hope to talk to her today, because I am going out of my mind.

[QUOTE=hosspuller;7785621]
I had a Prestige cervical disk implanted in 2010. I resumed normal activities without restriction within two weeks. A few months of aches & pain when holding a head position too long … eg computer screen. Normal now.[/QUOTE]

How many levels did you have replaced ?

How is your recovery going ? Are you back in the saddle ?

[QUOTE=Nadia;7786427]
I am way past you, 6 months, and still bored…I developed some pain between my shoulder blades after a lumbar fusion in March…I have ridden at 4 months, but my PT has kept me on a short leash until we resolve the problem. I hope to talk to her today, because I am going out of my mind.[/QUOTE]

How is your pain level ? Has physical therapy made a difference ?

[QUOTE=PonyTales;7885710]
How is your pain level ? Has physical therapy made a difference ?[/QUOTE] I am doing great! My pain level is so much better than than pre surgery. I have not taken any pain meds since 2 weeks post surgery.I do take muscle relaxing meds, for spasms in my upper back, but that is resolving now. I have been going to PT for almost 7 months, and yes it is very important… I still have a lot of work to do. I started back on the horse at 6 month and for the last month I am feeling stronger and more flexible. Equisuan how are you doing?

[QUOTE=Nadia;7887999]
I am doing great! My pain level is so much better than than pre surgery. I have not taken any pain meds since 2 weeks post surgery.I do take muscle relaxing meds, for spasms in my upper back, but that is resolving now. I have been going to PT for almost 7 months, and yes it is very important… I still have a lot of work to do. I started back on the horse at 6 month and for the last month I am feeling stronger and more flexible. Equisuan how are you doing?[/QUOTE]

Yehaah … So glad to hear your Back in the Saddle :slight_smile:

I was back riding 3.5-4 mos post op and went to HITS Ocala and showed right up until I fell off my taller horse and did a compression fracture at C7 (about 6 mos post op). Damn it was a long way down. I was off all meds except an anti inflammatory but now back on pain meds. So now I’m recovering from that and will hopefully get back on in May or June and back to it. Just my own stupidity. I fell off in a weird way… tumbling underneath my horse and didn’t even know I’d hurt C7 for two weeks. My leg and butt were all kinds of pretty colors. My artificial disc is the Mobi C and its between C5 and C6. I had a CT scan last week and the artificial disc looks fine but I have a 20% anterior compression of C7.