Unlimited access >

Cervical Spine Fusion Upcoming

Does anyone have personal experience with this?
Multilevel Discectomy and fusion. Original damage was done in a fall over 17 years ago, finally got “bad enough” that PT and injections are not helping any longer.

Wondering about supplements to take after surgery, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, collagen?

Scar cream?

Ideas on what to expect for the first couple of weeks? Months?

What exactly is a hyper active person supposed to do on this kind of house rest?

1 Like

I have had two discectomy operations (lumbar spine, no fusion) so can relate to some of this.
Recovery is challenging, especially when it can seem like the rest of the world is out there enjoying themselves while you can’t. I found distractions, reading, watching things that weren’t too taxing, worked best to fill the days. I didn’t take any additional supplements, just tried to keep a healthy lifestyle. During recovery, I tried to make goals for myself, like being able to walk a certain distance, then a bit further. I have returned to riding, with some modifications.

All the best with your surgery.

2 Likes

I missed this when you first posted: how are you doing now? Did you get surgery?

Hi, Late to the post, I had an ACDF at C5-C6 at the very end of Dec 2017.
I listened to my Dr, as hard as it was to, and did not ride AT ALL for about 6 months.
And no leading my horse for the first 6-8 weeks—to give the fusion a chance to set…

I got a treadmill so I could walk for an hour everyday regardless of outside conditions and it was the safest.
I am super active, so it was hard to follow ‘the rules’, However, I just stayed focused on the end goal.
And because I never took time off of work, this was almost like a vacation for me to just rest and take care of other things besides work.

No scar cream, even though the scar looked heinous at first, you can’t see it now unless you look and know it’s there.
Def took extra calcium/vitamin D, but other than that, not much else.

In re: to riding, he said even if there’s a 1% chance of you falling, don’t do it.
I did come back with force around the 6 month mark and started easing back in to riding & jumping.

However, with a multi level fusion, def be careful.
Something has to give somewhere and with anything too heavy duty, you run the risk of over taxing the discs and joints above and below the fusion.
Even with a one level fusion I can feel the effects of that, but more so from my work stuff and not the horses.
I was def tentative to jump big at first, more concerned with how my neck would feel upon landing, but was OK.

It takes a while to not worry about the fusion or screwing it up.
Give it a least year or so for things to settle down both physically and mentally.
I had some nerve issues while things were healing that were scary, but I continued on doing my normal things.
I still worry a bit, but it’s been a solid 5+ years.

At some point I’ll need a multi level, but I chose to only do one BC wanted full range of motion.

I hope it went well for you if you had the surgery and if you have any Q’s please don’t hesitate to reach out!!

2 Likes

how long did it take before you returned to riding? I broke my back l (L1 and L3) last weekend and am already over being on bedrest.

@Annie10 About 3 months.

Thanks. I suppose that’s not too bad. My only consolation is it’s hot as hell down here in FL right now anyway. My 4 yo just got started and was doing great!

1 Like