Unlimited access >

Chairi malformation

about a year ago, I fell off of my green horse, resulting in a concussion. When they did a CT scan to look they found out I have a Chairi malformation. I had a c1 lamenoctomy and a crainyectomy, but I still have headaches. And one of the doctors I saw said not to ride ever again, and the other said I could. Now I’m confused should I? Will it affect my riding?

You need to understand what a Chiari (note how its spelled) malformation is, and what type you have, first, Type I or Type II.

Then you need to understand the level of downward displacement of your cerebellar tonsils and what exactlly is being constricted. On you. How the surgery helped, or didn’t help. You need to ask these questions of your surgeon, once you understand the condtion. If he won’t answer you, you need to find someone who can.

If the base of the skull is constricting your cerebellar fluid, or constricting your spinal cord in some way, it could be either serious or not all that much, and there is no way anyone here could discuss that with you. It will affect your riding if you aren’t allowed or cleared to ride. THere are people on this board who have Chiari malformations and have had some surgery for it, so hopefully they can chime in and give you some more information about how to educate yourself about it, and what kinds of questions to ask your doctor.

Laurieruffian on this board has recent and extensive experience with a Chiari malformation. If you can, look up some of her posts. Of course, only your neurosurgeon can tell you if/when you can ride.

I’ve had 3 surgeries relating to my chiari. Did you have with your original surgery the posterior fossa decompression? From what you wrote, it sounds like you did, having a craniectomy and C1 laminectomy. I too, unfortunately had headaches continuing after my decompression surgery and had to have two cranioplasties with resulting complications. if you want to PM me with more details of doctors, etc., I’m sure I can steer you in the right direction and where NOT to go as well!!

I had a posterior fossa decompression, c1 was hollowed out, cerebellar tonsils removed and a titanium mesh plate added which my NS says is supposed to help with headaches and I do (touch wood) not have occipital based headaches I do get headaches in my forehead area but I was recently diagnosed with intercranial hypertension… so now I have dysautanomia (POTS), Chiari, EDS type III with I think classic crossover, and IIH so its never ending! I will say my NS said I very much so could ride but he made me promise not to ride for a year to allow for healing and PT. I don’t know if I will or will not I do think about driving or getting back into cycling which started this but I do love horses and riding so its a toss up.

just an update on me! My surgery was far from easy as I had 3 brain surgeries in less than 3 months dealing with MRSA and Sepsis from a terrible CSF leak

Hey fishjumper! I got your PM and tried to respond, but got a message that you have chosen not to receive private messages…but still wanted to let you know I got it. Sorry you’re dealing with this as well.

I’m doing amazing since my January decompression/cerebellar tonsillectomy, but coming to terms that being better is not the same as being cured. I have lingering neurological issues, but am grateful for them in exchange for the absence of the pressure headaches, hand tremors, and complete malaise. I say I’m on my third life: there was my life before I got sick, my life when I became absolutely miserably sick, and my life after brain surgery. I actually get to live my life now, though it’s very different than before. I’ve decided I’m taking an extended break from riding (with no foreseeable end)–I need the mental break as much as physical. I still have my mini for my horsey fix and drive her on occasion.

Gentle hugs from one zipperhead to another.

The OP has been banned. That’s probably why she won’t respond;)