Unlimited access >

Chaps!

I show TWH in (local, flat-shod) breed shows with usually only one western class per show. Still, I’d like to look nice. I have a few cute Hobby Horse tops and love the fit. This year, I’m adding chaps. Would appreciate any feedback on the ones I have it narrowed down to. I’m looking for a good fit, but lightweight if possible.

I’m leaning toward these as the price is good, and material is light & machine washable. Anyone have these?

http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Hobby_Horse_Simplicity_Suede_Leather_Full_Chaps/descpage-HHSSLC.html

My 2nd choice:

http://m.statelinetack.com/item/tough-1-smooth-leather-show-chaps/E012986/

Which ones, and why?

The Hobby Horse chaps are nice for the money. I have a pair of their PMS chaps that are nearly 10 years old and still look great and the zipper works well. Rod’s western used to sell a entry-level priced pair that was also nice, i’d check them as well.

Tough-1 is imported junk.

Have you looked at these? http://www.windsongwesternshowapparel.com/champ-pants Kind of a neat idea and much lighter weight.

js, those are definitely unique and a great idea!

Does anyone know the difference between the Hobby Horse Simplicity chaps v Ultrasuede?

From my understanding…UltraSuede is a name brand of synthetic suede whereas the HobbySuede is basically the same thing only without the brand name. Sort of like how all Lycra® is basically a Spandex fabric , but not all Spandex fabric is branded Lycra®…make sense?

I have some suede Tough-1 chaps. They’re “okay” for the small local shows I go to, but the FIT is really not that great at all. They bunch in weird places.

I’ve never had a Hobby Horse pair, but from what I hear from others, I’m going to get rid of the Tough-1 and get myself some Hobby Horse ones!

I guess I was looking for difference between the Hobby Horse chaps…they make the Simplicity chaps for $219, and another Ultrasuede version for like $349. Not understanding what distinguishes one from the other-

https://hobbyhorseinc.com/rider-apparel/chaps?p=3

Fit is important!! I’d rather buy one nice pair that fits and have them for years vs an ill fitting cheap pair that I end up replacing anyway.

ETA: drama pony, yes I think you are right! Thanks.

There is an Etsy seller who makes custom Ultrasuede chaps for about $100 less than the Hobby Horse ones. I really want them but scared of a no-return policy! I need a short inseam so it’s hard to find the Hobby Horse ones pre-owned or on sale.

I did order the HH split leather chaps from Riding Warehouse, but due to either how the manufacturer stored them or how UPS handled them during shipping, the front buckle “melted” itself into the leather where it was set. Left a huge noticeable “brand” in the shape of the buckle on the front belt, so they had to go back. They were nice but HEAVY, probably too much for Florida weekend showing.

I ordered the HH Simplicity ones from RW. Got extra $10 off so $164 and free shipping seemed worth it to me!

Yes real suede would be too heavy for me, I get way too hot!

Let me know how you like them please! That’s a great deal.

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8548092]
Let me know how you like them please! That’s a great deal.[/QUOTE]

Chaps are unforgiving for women in their 40s. I just do not see how these are comfortable though (and this is from someone who shows in jodphurs that go up to your chest, and long saddleseat daycoats…) Ugh, I am returning my chaps for a size Large and hoping I can actually buckle them closed. The legs were okay but waist was very small in the Mediums. Good quality and zippers overall.

Perhaps I am in denial on my true size. I was thinking of calling Nutrisystem…

I just bought the Hobby Horse chaps from Riding Warehouse. I have not shown in them yet, but my first experiences are that the fit is weird. They were snug in the thigh, but super loose in the calves. The waist was a good fit though.

The hobby horse simplicity chaps are junk. They’re a weird stiff material. Not flattering. At all.
Rods makes a chap with a stretch panel for around that price point and they are good quality and true to size.
I love my hobby horse PMS chaps. I have had three pairs. They are fantastic but pricier than rods.

[QUOTE=TheHunterKid90;8560762]
The hobby horse simplicity chaps are junk. They’re a weird stiff material. Not flattering. At all.
Rods makes a chap with a stretch panel for around that price point and they are good quality and true to size.
I love my hobby horse PMS chaps. I have had three pairs. They are fantastic but pricier than rods.[/QUOTE]

These ones? http://www.rods.com/zip-it-easy-in-stock-chaps.html

[QUOTE=Draftmare;8561291]
These ones? http://www.rods.com/zip-it-easy-in-stock-chaps.html[/QUOTE]

Yes! I have a friend who has had a pair of them for probably 6-7 years. They were great!

If the Large Simplicity chaps don’t work I’ll try the ones from Rods. Good thing I’m getting this figured out now instead of right before a show!

I’m still tempted to try Champ Pants instead. One less layer in the hot summer sun, and no wrestling with zippers.

@Draftmare , did you ever try the Champ Pants? If so, let me know! I’m curious about them!

I’ve seen Champ Pants in person and they looked weird. The fringe didn’t lay right. Now that could be the fit on that particular person. But they did make me do a double take. As far as I know thats the only time I’ve seen them but who knows maybe they blended in and I never noticed!

I would wear ultrasuede chaps unstead of getting champ pants personally.

Gotcha. They honestly seemed a little weird with the fringe, but the non-fringe variety looked like it might be okay. I order HH chaps last week and the fit is just all sorts of wrong! I measured, and they claim they are “true to size,” but the chaps I got would maybe fit someone whose knee is nearly as wide as their thigh? Weird fit. They are going back. They also felt cheap to me even though I paid for the more expensive ultrasuede. I had custom ultrasuede chaps 20 or so years ago which were super nice so I guess I was surprised by the odd cardboardy reinforcement material. They weren’t nice.

I ended up riding my virtual tests this weekend in black jeans, which actually looked really nice! I’m glad I couldn’t use the chaps because my leg looks super quiet and the overall look is actually much more sleek than the chaps would be. Saves money and it looked super elegant! I think I’m skipping them altogether after watching the video and seeing the photos. Chaps will add unnecessary bulk and the fringe just bounce around, anyway.