Unlimited access >

Chatting when out on the trail

Maybe it isn’t all that applicable to the US, since it’s far less densely populated as it is here in Belgium, but still. Whenever I go out for a trail ride (and it happens fairly often, since I’m training to start my horse in endurance competitions next year) I always end up chatting with some horsey stranger along the road. Especially since I do tend to draw eyes with my haflinger, the way she is. There aren’t many haflingers that broad around these days. She’s of the old sort - broad, looks like a crossbreed between a modern haflinger and a draft. Imagine an XXL size shetlander.

Now, lately I’ve been getting a lot of offers to ride other horses in the area while out riding. Because I love Lana, my own haflinger so dearly, I feel as if I’m cheating her. My mum, on the other hand, feels that I should actually try other horses out as well - when Lana has a rest day, I could go over there. It just feels…wrong. Oddly. I have no idea whether I should try it out or not. Should I? What are your thoughts on this?

Also, what have you chatted about when out on the trail?

IN no particular order, chatted about, everything and anything within reason, obviously you are making a good impression to be offered to ride the horses of others, and you are good company. Keep it that way.

Yes I would take up the offers to ride within reason.

Your horse needs to be legged up but perhaps other people are showing you that they have decided to trust you, please be careful and show them that their trust is not misplaced, yet do not be too trusting yourself - there are some individuals that have an overinflated idea of their horses’ training and one doesn’t want to trust and get hurt by a horse with an issue that someone has downplayed.

Enjoy this, riding different horses is a wonderful way to become a better rider, as they all react individually to the same use of the aids. Some are Ferrari’s some are Mack trucks, some can learn much from you if you are consistent. And please do be honest about your capabilities if you decline, regardless if the horse is undertrained, overfed and terribly spoiled, let them down by telling them they’d be better served perhaps with a professional rider.

Your use of Mum makes me think you might be English, over here I’d recommend a release form in case of accident. I might not sue if I got hurt, but my insurance company might on my behalf.

Enjoy!

[QUOTE= I might not sue if I got hurt, but my insurance company might on my behalf. =[/QUOTE]

On your behalf, my patootie! If your health insurance company ends up paying some medical costs for you because of a riding accident, they are going to look wherever they can to find someone else that could be considered “liable” so they can recover the money they paid out.

It’s called “subrogation” and if you were injured and then actually sued, your insurance company will often have the first rights to any settlement you receive - i.e., before you’re entitled to any of your settlement, the insurance company gets reimbursed first.

“On your behalf.” That’s a good one.

Incidentally that’s one more reason having someone sign a liability release is a good idea - a signed release will often deter an insurance company from pursuing subrogation.

Well, since OP is in Belgium and not the US, let’s not get off-track with an argument about insurance companies in the litigation-mad US.

OP, to respond to what you asked … :slight_smile:

I think it’s a compliment to you and your horse that you are being asked to ride other people’s horses. If you like the people who ask, and you like their horses, why not give it a go? I would do as others have said, and get some sort of release signed, depending on what your local practices are. Since Lana has an occasional rest day, if you do not want to take that as a rest day too, for yourself, you could think about riding other horses if you like. Riding other horses is good schooling for the rider – and therefore, for her own horse.

Chatting out on the trail? Anything and everything, just as if you were in a bar/coffeehouse, anywhere else!

In my experience, riding different horses makes me a better rider, so within reason I think you should do it. Obviously don’t ride a horse that might be unsafe or that you aren’t ready for, but otherwise I think both you and the horse could benefit from it.

As far as chatting, to me socializing is part of the fun. I’m glad others agree.