Unlimited access >

Cheapest Internationally Competitive Horses?

We all know that good, competitive horses do not, as a rule, come cheap. But I was just wondering… does anyone know of an Internationally competitive horse (or any horse making performance headlines, really) that was purchased for dramatically less than other horses in their field?

I realize this is sort of a silly question, but I thought it would be fun. :smiley:

Aren’t there a good number of OTTBs competing at high levels of eventing? They sure are cheap :slight_smile:

Competitive at what? There are countless cheap race horses that made a fortune.

Competitive at anything… But especially Olympic events like eventing and reining…

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7477912]
Competitive at anything… But especially Olympic events like eventing and reining…[/QUOTE]

I’m sure there will be TBs off the track running around Rolex this year that were purchased for 3-4 figures. I know Lynn Symansky’s Donner was purchased off the track.
Reining isn’t an Olympic sport, and unfortunately I don’t know enough about it to comment on any rags-to-riches stories there.

They aren’t International yet, but here’s a $1 horse that made headlines: http://www.dressagedaily.com/article/cassie-barteau-rides-1-horse-horse-course-high-score-award-adequan-global-dressage-festival-

I thought reining was an Olympic sport now?

I thought reining was an Olympic sport now? Maybe I’m thinking of WEG.

I know there used to be a horse a few years back that used to pull beer carriages. I’m not sure if he’s still competing. But that’s a real rags to riches story. I’m sorry to say that I can’t remember the horse’s name :no:

And Balagur used to be a carriage horse and in a riding school. I’m sure he wasn’t very expensive either. You know, before making it to the Olympics.

Probably fewer these days than in the past, since the breeding industry has expanded with sport specific bred horses, and demand the high prices for them, and the trainers get the incentives to send their rich clients to buy these horses in the commissions paid for the sale.

However, just because someone pays more for a prospect does not guarantee success. And the dark horse, purchased cheap, is still a diamond in the rough. Through a number of decades, Ive known a number of horses who have come from a murky source, off Indian reserves, off the range, off the track, out of someones back yard. They are still out there, but fewer astute trainers beat the bush to find them any more. Instead, they get a client to buy something expensive, and get paid the commission for that, AND the training/riding fees. So make more money doing it that way. And this method backs up the claims of the breeders of sport specific breeders, that you HAVE to have X breed of horse to compete at the top levels of sport, and you HAVE to pay big bucks to get it. In truth, you don’t need either of these things, you just have to be a horseman, and purchase the right horse to get the job done, whatever type of horse that may be.

Are you talking present day or just in general?

There was the show jumper Snowman, who was a former Amish horse that was purchased for $80.

A little more recently was Hilda Gurney’s Keen. He was an OTTB that became an Olympic dressage horse. I just looked up his purchase price, she got him for $1,000.

I believe ‘Red’, who won Rolex**** 1998 with Nick Larkin was $900. Not sure if that is US$ of NZ$, but impressive either way.

Amy Tryon’s horse was $2,500 or something.

Also, keep in mind that very few horses hit the straw worth a whole lot.

And NO horse ever becomes worth more than $25k unless someone who knows what they are doing is managing his program and makes him that way. Totilas in the program of someone who shows up at the barn twice a week to longe is no Totilas.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;7478392]
Also, keep in mind that very few horses hit the straw worth a whole lot.

And NO horse ever becomes worth more than $25k unless someone who knows what they are doing is managing his program and makes him that way.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about that. My old trainer used to list newborn quarter horse foals for
$30k because they had world champion lines. She’d turn them out to pasture and not touch them for a year and some of this weanlings still sold.

Also, if we’re in the triple digits, from what I’ve heard, Valegro’s initial sale price was 2000£ (or was it €?!). Not bad, eh? :wink: This shows that a horseman/woman/team makes the horse.

[QUOTE=CrowneDragon;7477915]
Reining isn’t an Olympic sport[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I audited a clinic once where the clinicians were referred to as “Olympic Medalists” in Reining.
Even if it isn’t an Olympic sport, it IS recognized and regulated by the FEI.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7478708]
Are you sure? I audited a clinic once where the clinicians were referred to as “Olympic Medalists” in Reining.
Even if it isn’t an Olympic sport, it IS recognized and regulated by the FEI.[/QUOTE]

Reining is definitely NOT an Olympic sport. There has been discussion about including it in the future, but it is not currently, and there are no olympic reining medalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_at_the_Summer_Olympics#Events

Scroll down. Lists all equestrian events for all years.

Reining has been an exhibition event at the Olympics before, but never an official Olympic sport with medals.

I’m embarrassed I can’t remember her name, and I know she had a rough go at the Atlanta Olympics, but there was the gal who was on the US Team who had a good competitive record (obviously, to make the team) on a $600 OTTB. (gray, mare?) My memory isn’t what it used to be…