Unlimited access >

Cheek/bit ring size on legal bits?

I’ve checked the usef rulebook but can’t seem to find any info on the legality of cheek/bit ring size (not the diameter of the mouthpiece) in recognized USDF competitions. I ride a pony and use a bridoon size eggbutt as a snaffle bridle, as the rings on a standard snaffle are too big for proper fit with her bridle. Is there no rule on bit ring size?

Hopefully a TD or someone else with more knowledge will answer. I ride/show ponies (mostly Welsh Cobs and their crosses) and several years ago I had asked about using a bridoon on one of my section Cs for similar reasons as you. I was pointed to the rule speaking to the intended use of bridoons, that they are meant to be used with a curb on double bridles and not alone. I was warned off of using it alone as it would be considered not a legal bit in a recognized show (or schooling show following USEF regulations). It was a USEF ‘S’ judge who stated such when I asked.

Anecdotally, I used my bridoon last year while our normal snaffle was outlawed (baucher), and [big name] TD had no issues. My trainer’s pony’s normal snaffle was marketed as a bridoon, and he’s been using it for years too.

I looked through the rules again, and the only bit dimensions are for the arms of the Weymouth and a Baucher and the diameter of the mouthpiece. The only cheekpiece rules are on the shape (D-ring, loose, etc) and the reins and bridle pieces’ ability to move freely. As long as your bridoon isn’t so small that things can’t move, theoretically, the TD can’t ding you.

Of course, you can write to dressage [at] usef.org to clarify and keep the response on your phone if there are questions.

1 Like

No harm in emailing USEF for an official ruling, but I believe it is completely fine. I had a horse with a petite face who just looked better in a bridoon size ring. No one ever had an issue with it.

While you’re on the subject of bits, what do you consider to be the gentlest bit?

The confusing part is that many bit companies advertise pony bits that have bridoon sized rings but are not sold as bridoons.

The one your horse likes the most, that allows you to communicate readily without undue angst.

5 Likes

In my experience, bridoon size rings are fine. I showed in a bridoon as a snaffle many many times.

3 Likes

Good question, hard to answer in itself.

Some bits are inherently cruel, but also is not the bit some times that can be cruel, is how is used and the hands on the end of those reins and the training the horse has, an educated mouth to requests thru whatever bit is wearing.

Think of cruel or gentle not only about the bit itself, but how and when and on what horse’s mouth type and task on hand is used.

2 Likes