Unlimited access >

Chicago Area Lesson Barns

Hi Everyone. l recently relocated to the southwest suburbs of Cook County and I’m looking for reasonably priced and reputable lesson barns nearby. I have extensive experience in both hunters and jumpers and rode the A circuit for 15 years but I’ve hardly ridden in the past 6 years. My current budget doesn’t allow for leasing or owning so lesson horses would be a necessity. Hoping to fit in one or two lessons a week right now (unsure of what that would even cost these days).

I realize there are about a million amazing trainers in the Chicago area but it seems as though most of them are located North and Northwest of the city, which ends up being a full hour from my house, unfortunately.

I’m aware of Stanley Luke Farm, Oakbrook Farms (dressage) and Windridge Farm, all of which are within reasonable driving distance for me. Also, I emphasize “reputable” because safety and horse welfare are paramount for me. Any opinions and suggestions will be super helpful as I’m mostly unfamiliar with Zone 5 trainers at this point.

1 Like

The only barn I know of in that general area is Trillion Equestrian. Feel free to PM me about it if you like.

Following this thread too as my fiancé and I are discussing moving to Chicago. Although, differently, I own an OTTB I’d bring with me and am very much an active adult ammy at the moment.

OP – I’ve looked at Bull Run Equestrian which has hit a lot of my personal touchstones (24/7 turnout, indoor arena, etc).

I’d love to know recommended neighborhoods to look at for a late-20s, childfree couple looking to golf, horseback ride, and hit a cocktail bar every once in a while!

4 Likes

Downtown Equestrian in Frankfort.

1 Like