Unlimited access >

Chicago Land Trainers

We have friends moving to Chicago and I told them I would post here - they keep their horses at home - they are looking for a trainer for their 2 girls. Both ride really well for their age and to avoid competing with each other one is on a 3’3 junior hunter and other is 1.10 to 1.20 jumper. They are looking fo the following in a barn:

1. A trainer or team of trainers that will allow them to trailer in for lessons and can effectively deal with both the hunter and jumper side.
  2. Kids like to show (predominantly A and AA shows), but not every weekend - parents want a trainer that understands that showing is important in h/j land but that more important is health and safety of kids and animals and becoming a good rider/horseman. Must focus on great basics - not just jumping as high as possible.
  3. Is up front about costs and budgets. Not saying there isn’t a healthy budget - but that everyone has a budget and trainer(s) can work within the budget/has no issue have frank transparent conversations about money.
  4. Is good with kids also occasionally taking lessons/attending clinics from others and or in other disciplines. They are kids it has to be fun.

Recommendations?

Message sent

Chicagoland is pretty big. Do you know what town they’ll be in and how far they’re willing to drive to ship in?

ETA: For ship ins for an A/AA program, I’d recommend looking at Glenwood Farm, head trainer Anna Hallene. She’s accomplished, works well with juniors, and works hard to find the right learning style for each of her students. Anna’s a strong rider also which can be helpful when you have limited time with your trainer and need an effective pro ride done. Her farm is in Maple Park so it would likely be as easy for your friend to ship in from the Northern burbs or Western.

1 Like

You mean the northwestern or western burbs. North burbs would be insane.

Actually I meant what I said….I’d happily drive that for good training but to each his or her own!

And at the same time you said “Chicagoland is pretty big.” If you think someone would go from Libertyville to Maple Park, why not the south suburbs? Either is about 1.5 hours (but it is rush hour as I’m looking that up.)

Thank you!

I’m bumping this thread to ask if anyone has familiarity with a hunter/jumper training program with lesson horses in the Chicago area.

I trained in mostly jumpers through high school, did not ride during college, and at this point would like to get back into riding. At this point I cannot afford to own a horse, so am looking for barns that would have lesson horses for me to take 2 to 3 lessons per week.

I’m in the northern part of Chicago, and would like to drive 45 min or less, if that’s possible.

My priority is a good program with a not hideous commute, so I would be happy with a dressage program instead, if that happened to fit my needs better. I’d just like to get back to riding — I’m not that picky about the discipline. TIA

I won’t bump this thread again if there’s no further response, but so far I have only gotten one response (by PM). I appreciate that information, but that barn was about and hour and a half outside Chicago, so probably not workable for me.

Are there CoTHers in the Chicago area that can provide guidance on what part of my parameters are so hard to meet? Is it the availability of lesson horses or the 45 minute radius to north Chicago?

Perhaps I should restate the query as:
Can anyone recommend a barn within an hour commute to north Chicago that has good trainers in Hunter/jumper or dressage?

TIA and I won’t bump the thread again.

Freedom Woods in Morton Grove would fit the bill as far as distance. How “good” they are, I can’t say about the current operation. It’s a storied location. Their website indicates a wait list for lessons currently, though. Palatine Stables might also be one of the closer options with lesson horses. I don’t know about the quality of this program, either, just that its location might suit.

Fields & Fences in Gurnee has several trainers working out of their facility, so that might be worth investigating. I would also recommend posting an ISO on Facebook in the Northern Illinois Horses or “Northern” Illinois Horses Etc. groups–they are both very active and you’ll get a lot of responses there.

I think availability in lesson programs is really tough right now. I teach in a big beginner-type lesson program west of the city and we have been slammed ever since the COVID shutdown.

1 Like

Thanks, Zella! I will check both out. A waiting list for lessons is probably the sign of a good program, and I’m willing to be patient if that’s necessary.

Thanks, LuvMyTB. I’ll post on FB, but wanted to post here first.
Thanks also for the info on the Covid effect. I’m not a beginner motivated by a search for an outdoor activity, but I can see that a surge in that part of the market could be a factor.
I appreciate both tips. Thanks.

@CurrentlyHorseless I know that’s not what you’re looking for–I was just saying that I think a lot of places are just totally full as far as available lesson times. I know we have been booked solid for several months. I think FB will get you a lot of leads–good luck!

1 Like

Bull Run Equestrian Center has a very good, medium sized lesson program. I can’t seem to message you about it. But they have several very nice school horses, it’s all small groups or private lessons

Thanks so much for the lead. I’ll follow up with them. I’ll see if I can PM you in case there are details more suited to PM.